JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I can tell it's just a .38 SPL case with the rim mostly turned off, this shouldn't be a very difficult modification if you know someone with a lathe. You would probably need a few original cases to get dimensions off of. Chances are the custom brass houses wouldn't be interested in making this caliber unless you wanted to buy a few hundred thousand cases, even though the only tooling change would be a custom head turning cutter during the turn and trim operation.

If you are interested, I could probably make you a jig for doing this.

From what I can tell it's just a .38 SPL case with the rim mostly turned off, this shouldn't be a very difficult modification if you know someone with a lathe. You would probably need a few original cases to get dimensions off of. Chances are the custom brass houses wouldn't be interested in making this caliber unless you wanted to buy a few hundred thousand cases, even though the only tooling change would be a custom head turning cutter during the turn and trim operation.

If you are interested, I could probably make you a jig for doing this.

Part of your observation is correct. However, when you turn the rim off a .38 spl case you still don't have an extractor groove. In order to machine one into the case you have to have sufficient web thickness which you won't on a case that was made with a rim.

Essentially this case is a real long 9mm case. (only .002" between bullet dia's.)

Could you roll an extractor groove into the case wall material? (Sorry, I've never seen the case, but it looks like it could be done.)

38super-38AMU-38Spl.jpg

what is 38 AMU from? How did it develop?

It was developed in 1964 for military competition shooting. It didn't last long - in fact I think it was used only in 1964 - and guns are still on the market, but ammo is hard or impossible to find. It was mostly made on the Colt 1911 platform. They were mostly used in competition at Fort Benning.

AMU stands for Army Marksmanship Unit. There was another maker of the guns but I can't remember what it was. Someone else here will remember.

I don't know what the condition of the firearm is but if it is good I would consider just leaving it as a collectible piece rather than shooting it. If it's in less than collectible condition I might consider re-barreling with something close, perhaps 38 Super or as I have read of others doing, re-chambering to .38 spl. Might take a little work on the extractor but I've run across posts on other fourms where this has been done.

You might have to do something really tricky to get it to work... I think the head is thick enough on most brass, if it's not, you could take .357 mag brass, turn the head/web and then cut to length provided the brass didn't get too thick.

Back in the mid '70's......I made .38 AMU brass from .38 Spl brass, on my lathe. It has the same semi-rimless head of a .38 Super case. I made a mandrel to slide the case over.....and made a cutter that shaped the rim & recess for the new rim. Tedious.......but......better than not shooting it at all. I use the shell holder for my reloading press to check the rim......that I'd cut. And then just used .38 Spl dies to load them.
David

Hard to find. Thought I'd ask anyway. Not having much luck.
Thanx,
Greg
I may have to search my ammo stash.....but, I may have some ammo or brass. The .38 AMU cartridge uses the rim specs of the .38 Super case (semi-rimmed). I used to make ammo, until I found some. And then sold the guns.....and don't need the ammo any longer
David Buehn
714 310 9934
Palm Desert, Ca.

You might want to check the Smith and Wesson Forum. I that a member there had a full case of Factory Ammo for the caliber. He may still have it. I don't belong there any more.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top