JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People have been selling homes like crazy since the middle of last year. Lots of transplants going home.
A buddy of mine who works for the airport (PDX) has let me know that in the last six months or so the amount of abandoned vehicles in airport parking has been staggering. People liquidate their assets and fly back to wherever they came from.

We have grossly over-stayed our intended time here and can't wait to be somewhere else. Check real estate listings daily in a number of locations trying to find something suitable.

How are the businesses in Portland doing?
I'm going to guess between the CCP virus lockdown and the constant vandalism/graffiti they are probably closing shop at a fairly significant rate?

So, what will happen to the downtown area? The condos will be sold, and the businesses will leave, and the shops will be boarded up? What is the time frame? What will happen to the condos and the businesses before the election? They the condos will be vacated if they were rented, the businesses will closed, and shops will be boarded up? The apartments will be filled or vacant? What will happen to the city government, police and fire? What will happen to PSU? Students transfer? Who will stay?

1) It already is a slumtown

2) Portland got EXACTLY what it voted for

3) Only those who didn't vote for this should be allowed to leave

4) Anyone who voted LEFT in the last ten years should be required to stay and reap what they have sown.

5) The problem is that people who vote like this are literally too dumb too connect the downfall of the city with their politics and the way they vote. So they leave for better places but continue voting for the exact same things that turned their last city into a shhh...err...crap hole. And the disease replicates itself in another town. Because you can't fix "stupid." :rolleyes:

Had some business yesterday by Lincoln High School. On my way in, noted the rows of squatter tents on SW Taylor. Parked by 16th & Taylor, and within ten feet from my car, encountered one spent condom, parts of three syringes and what looked like a 6×12 blood spot. I noted the pidgeon down in the blood, and figured someone had roast squab for supper.

So, who's going to buy a house in the Peoples' Soviets of Seattle and Portlandia?
Anybody who doesn't make the decision to GFOD in time may be looking at insurance fraud as the only way to recoup their equity.

I imagine downtown potland will come to look like this in the next year or so.

When all those store property leases are up, why would business want to pay again to have their businesses trashed?

Had some business yesterday by Lincoln High School. On my way in, noted the rows of squatter tents on SW Taylor. Parked by 16th & Taylor, and within ten feet from my car, encountered one spent condom, parts of three syringes and what looked like a 6×12 blood spot. I noted the pidgeon down in the blood, and figured someone had roast squab for supper.
That blood spot was mayor wheelers time of the month

I think the ruin of Pdx is happening because the mayor's office and city council is not responsive to the city residents, but by external political forces that are overriding the interests of the residents. But on the other hand many of the city residents have a hatred for the police, the establishment and business that they may be advocating for the destruction. Thinking that the dem influence and decay in Pdx, Seattle, Chicago, Baltimore, and New York City is a leading indicator of how the country would be run if we had a similar dem president who is like minded as these dem mayor's. Now, we can see what the country would look like....

It was just a matter of time when the "wheels" fell off of that failure of leadership and now all that is "left" is a smoldering pile of useless fecal matter..... dilligaf ? .....

I think the people who live in these places fall in to a few categories:
- oblivious
- truly believe in the way they live and think they'll get through it and eventually there'll be the utopia they hope for.
- not intelligent enough to realize the actions of their "feel good" voting tendencies
- petulant trust fund babies who are just acting-out.

I always hear people saying "when will they realize!?" But I can assure you this is how they want it.
Now, biz owners, on the other hand.....they can only tolerate so much damage, destruction and loss of revenue. No matter how much they may wish otherwise, they are playing a capitalist game and can't afford to keep their biz open in these areas. In Seattle, there's a very significant list of small-medium biz closures. So, ground-level shops are becoming empty.

My theory is that too many people conflated the Keep Portland Weird ethos of bohemianism with permissiveness at any cost.

The result is the Sta-Puft marshmallow man: destruction by your own design. Unlike some rust belt cities that initially suffered from economic collapse due to outside influences on key manufacturing or business (like Detroit and St Louis) and then fell into ruin by weak leadership, Portland is starting with weak leaders and devolving by design with a relatively strong economy being deliberately sabotaged. If it's not deliberate, then the incompetence is staggering.

As stated before, the people who vote for this kind of government will never make the connection. They're the same ones who refuse to see the documented and demonstrable failures of the policies they advocate... they blame outside influences and think that they could do things better.
They can't. Hubris and arrogance perpetuate the disconnection.

Yes, Portland is done for the foreseeable future. There will be plans of economic revitalization and some may even bear fruit... for a while. But, just like Detroit and St Louis, those "gentrified" areas will eventually be overrun and left to fester, wither, and die again and again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top