JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For hunting, target and when the sh.t hits the fan. This scope is about $470. Any ideas for one that is near this price and might be better.

I am thinking the shooting range for deer is 100-250 yards; maybe for bear or occasional coyotes. Target shooting at 200-300 yards; maybe longer. Likely shooting premium 150 or 165 grain bullets. Handloading may not be applied here because I use 30 06 with a favorite load.

Thanks for the critique. Any local shops in Pdx that can beat that price above; it is on line price.

I had one on my S&W 1500, which is identical to your Vanguard. I loved it, but I finally switched to a 40MM Vortex model so I could use lower mounts and rings. It worked well for deer hunting where most of my shots were around 100 yards, but some were out to 300. For target shooting I found that I'm more accurate with a better cheek weld that the lower mounts and rings give me. But your face may be different than mine in that regard. The critical spot for clearance is between the front of the scope housing and the barrel. If getting enough clearance there means your cheek is not solid on the stock then I'd go to a smaller objective than 50mm.

I had one on my S&W 1500, which is identical to your Vanguard. I loved it, but I finally switched to a 40MM Vortex model so I could use lower mounts and rings. It worked well for deer hunting where most of my shots were around 100 yards, but some were out to 300. For target shooting I found that I'm more accurate with a better cheek weld that the lower mounts and rings give me. But your face may be different than mine in that regard. The critical spot for clearance is between the front of the scope housing and the barrel. If getting enough clearance there means your cheek is not solid on the stock then I'd go to a smaller objective than 50mm.
Great point. Just excellent!

Pretty good scope and a good deal I think. Out past 300 yards for serious target shooting it wont be ehough
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. People have been using 10x scopes at 1,000 yards for decades.

@tkdguy If hunting is the primary use, with target shooting as secondary, I'd consider something with a lower base magnification.

I'd start with a 3, 4, or 5x base magnification, personally.

There are some really nice 3-15x or 3-18x scopes on the market, and plenty to choose from in the 4-12x, 4-14x, & 4-16x range. There are even 4-24x scopes available. Another good option would be a 5-25x, but you're starting to limit yourself for hunting applications with the higher base power.

If all of your hunting is done at long range, either across canyons or open plains, higher magnification is fine. If there's any chance you might be hunting closer in, especially in timber or brush, the lower magnification will be very useful.

I hope this helps!

"Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. People have been using 10x scopes at 1,000 yards for decades."

You can use a 10 but you're going to lose to anyone with a more powerful scope. If you want to compete sportwise 20x is minimum

What to you want to do at 1000 exactly ?

Last Edited:
"Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. People have been using 10x scopes at 1,000 yards for decades."

You can use a 10 but you're going to lose to anyone with a more powerful scope. If you want to compete sportwise 20x is minimum

What to you want to do at 1000 exactly ?
It's not about me, or about shooting 1,000 yards. It's about you telling OP that he needs more than 20x magnification to shoot beyond 300 yards, which is false.

In your defense, you did specify "for serious target shooting", in which higher magnification would certainly help, but it's not necessary for the OP's specified intentions.

For "hunting, target and when the sh.t hits the fan", I personally feel that OP would be better served by a lower magnification scope in the ranges I previously suggested, rather than a dedicated 40x target scope like you use.

This is nothing personal against you or your choice of scope for your application, but rather an attempt to help OP find a suitable scope for his specified applications.

that was intended for the OP. I wasn't asking about you so sorry for the confusion.

10x over 300 is fine for minute of man. That's it.

I asked a few times what OP is doing. We need to know for a good recommendations.

10x for 1000 though is a bad recommendation unless you're looking for supressing fire.

I quoted OP's stated intent in my last post:
For hunting, target and when the sh.t hits the fan.
OP also stated the following:
I am thinking the shooting range for deer is 100-250 yards; maybe for bear or occasional coyotes. Target shooting at 200-300 yards; maybe longer.

None of the above-mentioned activites (except perhaps target shooting) require a 40x scope, and instead would likely be hampered by one.

A good rule of thumb for hunting is 1x per 100 yards. Just because you yourself prefer higher magnification does not make it necessary for others.

For everything the OP has currently listed, he could get by with a good fixed 4x scope.

Such as what scope would you recommend? Thanks.
Me? For that price, I like the vortex. Honestly a good scope. Also like

Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm

No idea on this but some reviews good. Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50mm

Lots of benchrest people like this as intro but they report it's not super robust. Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50

Same here Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm

Maybe more than you want and requires 34mm mounts which are expensive. Burris Xtreme Tactical 5-25x50mm

I have and like the Burris xtr ii f-class. But it's in the 1200 range which is way more than you're looking at.

Given budget I'd look at sightron or vortex. Neither will disappoint.

For 500 yards or in I would use something like a 2-10 or 3-15. Heck a 1-6 would be possible. Not ideal but it would get the job done. With the lower end of the mag range you gain a lot of FOV. Also, usually the higher you go in prescription the less overall adjustment the scope has.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top