JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mossberg 37200 Tactical Autoloader Semi-Auto 22 Long Rifle 18" 10+1 Syn Stk Blk 37200

Price: $244.00 has to be terrible at this price? Looking to get an inexpensive target training rifle to take to the range. Need to bring my own, or get a buddy member there.

Any other suggestions for a similar price or less? What is wrong with this rifle? Want to get a good enough, if low quality, beginner target rifle. Haven't read up enough, but see it could sell out fast. What would a resell look like?

thank you - Portland OR

Last Edited:
What is your goal for this rifle? The rifle itself IIRC is based off the mossberg plinkster 702 action. I have shot a 702 many times as my father owns one, its solid and accurate out to 100 yards thats from a 16in bbl. Never shot past that with the rifle so not aware of further accuracy. Rifle is good to go! Its a .22 rifle how much do you want it to cost? Why would you be concerned with selling something that cost less than $250, if you are trying to make an investment try gold or silver.

in general,Mossberg products have always been more affordab le than some other brands,so I'd say don't let the price fool you.
Go handle one,and look for anything 'cheesy' in the construction,things that are put on with just a screw or 2 and might work loose,that sort of thing
.avoid the box stores,go to a real gunshop and i'll bet they can point out the differences between the mossberg and a 500.00 gun that will be very similiar in looks.then pick the one u think will do the job.

Have you put your hands on one of these guns? Everything is plastic and pretty cheesy. MSRP is 290.00, so 244 is just over 15% off. personally I would buy a Ruger 10/22 and add your choice of stocks if you want a tactical format. Bimart is doing the Ruger for 169.00 on Black Friday, 199.00 normally. While there are some plastic parts on the new models parts are abundant.

Where are you looking at buying it? American Freedom Firearms has them on the net for $238. Shows about 150 with the fixed stock and over 500 with the adjustable stock. Looks like a cool gun for much less than the M&P. Hmmm.

lazerblazer, Throckmorton, bobu, Beefcake - thanks. Just got off the phone from a local shop and they had nothing good to say. You make many of the points I said. "Just be quite" was the reply. The idea of purchasing a cheap product - like how VCR's used to be $1000 dollars, then almost a few dollars and some now - wasn't worth hearing.

I do want something inexpensive, but when looking at them in the ad's - which gave me the idea - then finding WOW! I have almost everything I can want, or afford with little space for more.

This is more gun than I was expecting, and nothing close to the "Real Gun" in cost. I'd like to shoot at a range or go somewhere and learn how to be a good gun owner from people who do like guns and stand up for the Constitution and the right for even me to have one. I'll not share too much on other topics here, as we may only agree in this one area on some touchy things - and that's not allowed, and is good courtesy of which I lack.

Regarding the price - I would sell it to another party if it turned out not to meet my needs, and there are stories told of some "CHEAP" guns exploding "RIGHT INTO YOUR FACE!" which I should know just from the price alone, or so I'm told. A good gun "COSTS MONEY."

Regarding getting a better, more expensive rifle - budget. This is already more than the cheap doorbuster rifle, and only fits as it's so cool - style, ammo, personal WOW factor - and affordable to shoot a real bullet even if a very small one, not BB, paint or pellet - though they have their places. The bullet in the ad really made me like the .177 rifle on sale. The discovery of the Mossberg.. it reset the standard I would want, and was shopping for. There are a few rifles I do like - one a survival rifle that may be a better choice over all - and some game rifles. This is me asking people who know more, and can steer me right. If you had said it sucked... but you didn't!

The rugar does look nice, and would be a good choice. I looked at this one -

<broken link removed>

Maybe being able to have a bigger clip is just... a stupid thing. But I like that stupid thing. And so far it's still legal to get the 25 round clip, or 2 clips. How much longer will that be true? SO long term, 25 round clip could be harder to purchase in the future. I was thinking 2 clips would be good to start at 25 rounds each. I want to shoot cheap ammo, so the .22 rifle ammo is better than cheaper rifles with more expensive ammo. Being semi automatic, I could have fun shooting more with less reload action, or so goes the thinking.

I filled out a purchase order with Impact Guns, but have not finalized the purchase. I cleared all the screenings and only need have the local gun shop pre-approve receipt. Just called them and they wont accept the shipment. So that gave me the opportunity to come see what you folks had to say here. AGAIN, thanks for the feed back! Gives me a viewpoint that phone call had sucked out of me.

I'm in Oregon and never been to a gun store here in Portland> Would prefer to support the local businesses, but have no idea how to get something like this. I use Craigslist, eBay, Amazon sometimes, or know where and how. Not much for buying new things at all, unless it's the best option I CAN afford. Really out of my knowledge base here. I didn't find any metal detectors in the ads, and a sewing machine to share with my neighbor is cheap enough to get both this and that, plus hugs, smiles and dinner. Thanks for the heads up for American Freedom Firearms.

Seems like we aren't suppose to transport guns, so if I delay the purchase, this lets me believe there will be more available should I take a road trip, as may not be able to take it with me. That's a shame. I would like to have it along for the ride - but looking at half a dozen states, and into Mexico for part of it. Mexico makes sense, but no travel across any state lines. Will try and figure out what this means. If I could bring it, then buy right away makes most sense, or whatever purchase finally.

Thanks for all the insight. VERY helpful C in SE PDX

Last Edited:
seems like you made up your mind when you discovered the mossberg 22 tactical, if you want to find problems with an item & look hard enough, you will!

However if there are others looking for a first gun or xmas present & want an educated opinion... I have one of these, and its a tack driver, the grandkids dance milk jugs or soda cans at 150yds with ease. its the same old Mossberg 702 plinkster with its solid reputation, in a polymere Tactical AR platform housing, many will say cheap plastic but the military uses polymere when defending your country, so tell the miltary they are using cheap plastic, then again there are some that call the reliable glocks tupperware guns, so who you gonna call

This tactical 22 comes with a high capacity 25 round mag unlike the 10 round plinkster 702
I take 4 mags with me & thats plenty shooting for the day no fail to feed no fail to ejects, no matter how fast I fire it, the VERY first run of mags were problematic/jamomatics, but they have that under control

Now you could ofcourse buy a Ruger 10/22 and build yourself a similar AR22 by swapping out a bunch of parts that will easily exceed the cost of the the Mossberg Tactical 22LR.... go shopping and do the math

This isnt my AK47 or my AR by any stretch, but for the money, if your looking for an AR22 platform rifle for cheap ammo plinking, you cant get much cheaper than this entry level Tactical style 22LR. I bought one for my grandkids & guests to use on my tactical zombie trail in the woods on my property, I hand them the Mossberg & a Sig Mosquito send them into the woods they all come back wanting to buy one
I would not buy the built in carry handle model again , get the flat top, you can buy the carry handle on ebay for $9 & have both worlds

I can invision a whole lot of these under the tree this xmas.

I used a Krylon rattle can on this one for the kids

I did a fair amount of research, and I think I'm going to order two of these. One like you have shown except with the 25 round mag and adjustable stock for myself (part number ends with a 4 instead of a 0), and one in the newer M4 style for my Cutie-Pie (16" flat-top - part number ends in 9 instead of 0). From what I've read, after they fixed the original mag problems, the only complaint people have is that mag changes can be difficult or require 2 hands. The biggest negative I see is that the extra 25 round mags are hard to find online, but the 10 round mags from the 702 plinkster are plentiful and cheap, and they will allow using the gun in the prone position.

The basic plinkster is a $120 rifle and a pretty good one at that. That said, I think paying double for the same rifle with a plastic shell that looks like an AR is a rip off on Mossbergs part and yes the mags are a pain to get out of the gun. The 702 I had was very reliable though and fairly accurate, if you don't mind paying the extra, I think you'll be happy with the purchase.

The basic plinkster is a $120 rifle and a pretty good one at that. That said, I think paying double for the same rifle with a plastic shell that looks like an AR is a rip off on Mossbergs part and yes the mags are a pain to get out of the gun. The 702 I had was very reliable though and fairly accurate, if you don't mind paying the extra, I think you'll be happy with the purchase.
I agree to an extent, but with some added considerations. I don't believe that it costs twice as much to pay a South American company to make a copy of their old action in wolf's clothing. However, it is less expensive than the other options (it is about half the price of the S&W M/P 15-22, and less expensive than building a custom Ruger 10/22 with an aftermarket stock and rails). I ended up ordering one of these for my fiancee as a trainer rifle. She needs the adjustable stock (the first .22 I bought her had too long of LOP with no aftermarket stock available to correct it), and I like the idea of it being similar to an AR platform. Ideally, I would rather build her a dedicated .22lr AR15, but the budget just doesn't allow it right now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top