JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before I was a homeowner I lived in an apartment complex in Beaverton. It was quite nice then a bunch of obnoxious noisy neighbors moved in and a few months later someone was shot in the complex. The next month the rent went up by 20%. Didnt take me long to move out of there.

It's revealing that if you type "Birch Pointe Apartments" into Google maps, it shows you the location with the annotation "dog crap apartments for rent." Seriously.

But this is too close to home. Stuff like this isn't supposed to happen in hip, civilized Beaverland.

And you just know that the construction of those apartments wouldn't even slow down a round, which would probably breeze right through the front and back walls and keep on going.

Yea, I am less than impressed, but it's an apartment....what can I expect? Never noticed the 'dog crap apartments for rent' bit before, but I haven't been googling my apartments location after all...

Hmm, fourth murder in Wa. county this year, and only ONE was with a gun. Two stabbings, and a beating, imagine that?

I will never live in an apartment again.

When I last did, about 15 years ago, there were fires (one of which caused a death) every couple of months, burglaries and thefts, of course a lot of noise and all the other crap that goes on when you cram that many people together - the less expensive and easier it is to get the apartment, the worse it is too.

While there are still property crimes in rural areas (maybe at about same rate per household), there is generally less violent crime, and much of the crime seems to be people coming out of the city to do crime in the rural areas - so the further away the better IMO.

Yea, I don't exactly like birch pointe very much, but....I've only gotta live in this area till December-ish....maybe.

Then who knows...maybe I'll buy a trailer and be a roaming helicopter pilot for hire.

I've lived in a few apartment complexes in Beaverton and Tigard - most were expensive shartholes. The complex in Tigard had meth cookers across the parking lot, worthless parents who let their 3 year old ride around the parking lot and on the street unsupervised - called the cops many a time, Tigard PD is more useless than tits on a boar - their response to the toddler riding in the road? "It's not a busy street, we don't feel his parents were neglecting him". The meth cookers were evicted and their building had to be gutted because of the contamination. Had a stripper and her wannabe rock star husband live below us - called the cops half a dozen times because of their fights - knock down drag out fights were she was beating the living dog crap out of him (dude walked with a cane, not exactly your typical badass rocker). I don't think she ever went to jail, even tho dude always seemed to have a black eye.

In two different complexes in Beaverton I lived in, it wasn't uncommon to hear gunfire in/near the complex. Police never responded. I guess if you don't see a bloody victim or a bullet hole in your home, it's not worth an area check. One of those complexes butted up to a now-gone trailer park (the source of the gunfire in that area) - the other was next to a slew of low-rent duplexes. Cops were seen in the neighborhood a lot, but never did come when called about gunfire or suspicious persons.

The other apartment I lived in was in a "nicer" neighborhood, never had to call the cops, never had them in our small complex, but the stupid photo radar van was always set up in the empty lot just next door.

I much much much prefer real single family homes, and much prefer the smaller, quieter towns like we've found in Forest Grove. Of course, growing up a country boy I aspire to own a home out in the sticks again - I grew up in Scholls, and wouldn't mind living out there again, but won't be in a position to buy a house out there, or somewhere like it any time soon.

The only problems we had out in the country came pretty rarely, when one of the guys from the neighboring migrant camps would get liquored up and pick a fight with his neighbor, and occasionally would wander over to our place or another neighbors all bloody (one time the guy had stab wounds) and ask for an ambulance. More often though, the drunks would wander into the filbert orchard and pass out, then do the walk of shame home in the morning.

I grew up in Scholls, and wouldn't mind living out there again, but won't be in a position to buy a house out there, or somewhere like it any time soon.

The only problems we had out in the country came pretty rarely, when one of the guys from the neighboring migrant camps would get liquored up and pick a fight with his neighbor, and occasionally would wander over to our place or another neighbors all bloody (one time the guy had stab wounds) and ask for an ambulance. More often though, the drunks would wander into the filbert orchard and pass out, then do the walk of shame home in the morning.
I grew up in Scholls too - if I told you which house you would probably know my family name (hint, we had a large filbert orchard). People still know my family there, but we sold our farm about 10 years ago. I live not far away, up on the mountain - pass though Scholls almost every day right by the farm.

About the only theft I worry about is what critter is climbing up in my cherry tree, eating the cherries, then crapping them all over the place.

But I do keep things locked up - I just walked out to the shop in the dark because I forgot to lock it up. Don't want someone taking my chainsaw or my dirt bikes or tools - but probably very unlikely that would happen.

Ping me in about 5 years when I retire - my place will be up for sale, I will be moving out to the Sheridan or Willamina area to get some more breathing room. Mostly quiet up here, but neighbor below my place was shooting his .50 BMG all day long.

Before buying a house last year my wife and i live in what used to be a nice apt complex in vancouver until they started excepting section 8 then it turned into little mexico with 3 families living in one place. Turned into a real crap hole. And they area was so nice in east vanc.
Sad thing is all those pos kids will be going to the same schools as the good kids around there.
My only hope is that i can make enough money to get my daughter in a private school before she gets old enough.

Yea, apartments are no way to live. It's merely a means to an end, and I'm already getting tired of it. I don't get how people can raise children in apt's. I wouldn't want to imagine my childhood without a yard, or the bayou to run around in. Granted, I may have been safer minus the gators and snakes, but what fun is that?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top