JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have 130gr sst match ammo that's 2.589 measured to ogive with a comparator, cheap 150gr federal at 2.694. My sierra matchking 135 hpbt measured right off the rifling is 2.64 (hit lands hard at 2.66). What I'm looking at is how much longer overall my handload is. I'll only be loading 1 round at a time. 150gr is 3.123, sst match 3.219 and mine is 3.29, will this cause any issues? Also all of these are shorter then the lee books min oal of on average 3.34 which would not only be jammed WAY into lands but also seated barely into the case, the book has to be wrong... Would be 3rd thing I've found that's off...

Basically I'm worried about using loads in my new Lee book because of pressure issues towards high end of powder grains. My logical brain is telling me the book meant max oal and not min oal, or, me or the books author is making a mistake. Theres no waythe MIN oal has the bullet barely seated past the boat tail....

Last Edited:
If this is for 270, SAMMI spec is 3.340 max, 3.065 min. The Lee load book is just saying what was used for the pressure test. I am not sure Lee even does the testing, check other sources.

You are measuring from ogive, book states bullet tip.

Can't mix the two. If you are loading for your rifle based on ogive then leave all measurements from the book off the table and only use the powder specs because you are loading to your rifle, not to load in any rifle.

Maybe it's me but I'm having a hard time finding the question that's clear.

IF you use max COAL (base to tip) and you are loading based off of the ogive, you have a long way to go before you hit pressure signs. Your velocities will be LESS given the same powder weight because of the increased case volume.

I have one load that's .025" from lands and I have a full 2gr over max published load due to increased case capacity before i hit pressure signs and max velocity for that weight of bullet given that powder.

Every bullet type is going to have a different comparator length. Some even lot to lot for the same bullet. Just make sure that you check each type of bullet you are going to shoot in your particular rifle for lands length, back them off about .030" (where I start) and shoot em.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top