JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Both are prevalent in regular times.

If anything due to the popularity of 223/308 short action ammo might be more prevalent, but that's not based on anything sciency...

Preference wise? Actions are actions, you like a cartridge you get an action length it comes in. Like 30-06, well it don't come in a short action...

With all due curtesy, I think you're framing your question incorrectly. Action size is determined by cartridge choice, not the other way around.

That said, short actions are generally more rigid than long actions and provides more potential accuracy. However, the vast majority of shooters won't be able to tell the difference in most applications because action length is only one small piece of the system.

So, begin with the intended use, select the cartridge you prefer, and go for the rifle that fits the need.

The other interesting statement that is made when you are talking about actions. People will bring up the fact that the short action is lighter than the long action. True but it is only ounces and there are several other places you can loose that weight. In field rifles shoot what cartridge you want. They are only as accurate as the shooter anymore.

To really twist the screws of this argument, You select your action length based on the desired cartridge, and the argument of short being better or stronger is flat out false! No_Regerts is also correct, Long actions have the advantages of allowing more room for seating bullets to differing depths then short actions! As to overall length, your really only talking about 1/2 inch max length difference, the rest is fluffing! Bolt design will also play into this as well, some bolts are longer then others, even within the same family, I.E. Mauser copies!

Obviously short action is better because 6.5 creedmoor comes in short action and we all know it makes 1 inch groups at a mile with no holdover, easy

To answer the original question, I've found that the belted magnums seem to stay on the shelf longest of the standard rounds one may find. Especially .300 WM which by default are all long action so it seems long action rounds may be less desirable to the current generation (scared of recoil? Dunno) and therefore short action rifles are probably more desirable.

I personally prefer long actions. No real reason.

Obviously short action is better because 6.5 creedmoor comes in short action and we all know it makes 1 inch groups at a mile with no holdover, easy

You need more practice time. 1" is for beginners. With the 6.5 you only need one round, because when you shoot the 6.5 it hits the target and then returns to the gun and reverses itself back down the barrel and ready to go again. At least that is what I read on the internet.

This originated with the Remington 700 SA .308 and before detachable mags were common- so loading single rounds into the fixed mag through the ejection port was necessary.

In a SA receiver a .308 cartridge loaded through the ejection port into the fixed 5 rd mag required dove-tailing the round into the action, which was/is considered undesirable and undersized. It also made unloading inconvenient as in order to unload you had to either pop the mag base plate or partially rack every round in and out. So a LA action is more desirable .308 and larger.

At least that's my understanding.

I'm a handloader so the topic is relevant.

Tikka rifles are built on a standard long action receiver. To make a long action receiver fit a short action cartridge, Tikka changes the length of the bolt stop. The bolt stop is the piece of metal that determines how far back the bolt can travel. Long action cartridge, long action bolt stop. Short action cartridge, short action bolt stop.

Simple.

The beauty, for me, is that I can put a long action bolt stop on my short action rifle (think 7mm-08) and use .30-06 length magazines. This lets me load looong bullets like the 150 eldx as far out as I want, since I'm not constrained by the short action anymore. I have significantly greater flexibility in my seating depth choices.

P

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR