JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello!

Been lurking here for a while reading through a lot of the smithing and maintenance stuff. Run into a couple members out at the Wolf Creek lanes from time to time.

Been shooting a couple times a year for most of my life, mostly shotguns and revolvers. Managed to pay off student loans a couple years ago and bought guns for the first time, branching out into rifles and semi-auto pistols. Currently have an FNX45T, TX22, Kimber Target (22lr 1911), Fn15, M1A Socom, Savage 64, PS90 and a Mossberg 930. Interested in learning more about shooting technique and smithing - will probably end up getting a couple project guns when I finish a few more of my in progress projects.

Really appreciate the resources available here. Have added a ton to my notes from several of the forums and still going through several more.

Cheers!

Welcome from East Anglia UK, where I have just planted my butt down after cleaning a K11 [top - 1914, converted from a Gew1900] and K31 [from 1944]. No real chore - I enjoy seeing them shine.

1633277861364.png

Welcome to the club! Thanks for checking in...all that lurking was sketching me out a little. 😉 Kidding aside, sounds like you're on a great trajectory with some fine firearms there. Glad you're here.

On another note, I board my dog in Scappoose while traveling so I have high regard for your neck of the woods... 😁😁

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

[Edit- We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests] - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Thanks all for the welcome!

@tac , those look very good! What do you use on the wood stocks? I'm currently restoring some old hand tools and have been using boiled linseed oil for the wood handles, but if there is something else you like to use I'd love to hear about it. Odds are pretty good those project guns will have wood furniture after all.

@JohnnyMac haven't been here long, moved here about a year ago from Forest Grove, but loving it so far.

@gryghin I usually take a bag or two home if I can fit 'em in the trunk. Unfortunately I work backend night shift so unless y'all do some Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday events I probably won't be awake for them. But I'll keep a look out just the same.

Thanks all for the welcome!

@tac , those look very good! What do you use on the wood stocks? I'm currently restoring some old hand tools and have been using boiled linseed oil for the wood handles, but if there is something else you like to use I'd love to hear about it. Odds are pretty good those project guns will have wood furniture after all.
Both have original finish stocks - BLO and Shellac. I've had them since 1989 and just wiped them over about once a year. Here's a close-up -

1633510832694.png

I'm not old enough to have been in the British Army when they had Lee-Enfield, but I DO have some even older Enfields - they too, get the BLO treatment once a year...

1633510978511.png
Top - 1858 Robert T Pritchett Volunteer rifle
Centre - three-band Snider from 44th Bn of Infantry, Welland &N Lincoln County ON
Bottom - two-band short rifle from Québec Garrison Artillery Battery B

All are nominally .577cal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews