JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was oodling an ad for Ohio Ordnance Works M1918A3 semiauto replica rifles one evening while relaxing with my Shotgun News, and after a quick question about it, my wife stated that it was going to be a present from her for our 25th anniversary.

Uh, okay. Sure honey; whatever you say.

She was serious.

I have absolutely no need for this gun. Beyond that, it's screaming to find its way into my hands. Both of them. With a sling to help hold it up. Feel the testosterone surge back through my body!

She and I later got to discussing the value of replica firearms, though. Is there any thinking about the long term value of this rifle? I can't see it going down, but as far as replicas go, I wasn't sure how much they might go up (with or without production continuing.)

Depends on quality of manufacture and who manufactured it. There are alot of reproduction firearms that are worse then the orignals and in some cases not really safe to shoot. My two cents on the last part. You can look up the manufacture on the internet and see what others say about there products.

Is that the one for $4300??? Since its gas operated you will not be able to shoot just any 30-06 rounds through it. You will have to find some Mil Spec ammo for it or reload your own. To much chamber pressure may damage the action. Not enough chamber pressure and it will not cycle. Looks like it would be a kick in the butt to shoot. My dad (WW2 vet) was trained to handle the BAR.

Based on your comments, I've looked into this, but haven't found anything definitive to validate that. The BAR has an adjustable gas regulator, but I'm not sure if you can turn the gas down as easily as you can turn it up. I need to ask them about that.

My experience with replica firearms is limited to those copies of antique "Western" or "Cowboy" guns, such as Winchesters, Remingtons, Colt's, and Springfields. Quality in replicas of these guns can run the gamut from superb (on occasion even BETTER quality than how an original was built: better steel, better finish, better wood, etc.), to piddle-poor (shabby fitment, coarse finish, unreliable operation). In these guns, Uberti is at the top of the replica heap, and CVA toward the bottom. Certain firms such as Taylor's and Cimmaron will order guns from Uberti, and specify certain upgrades on the guns in their bulk order for resale. They will also specify in their contract with Uberti that certain standards of finish be met.

As to value, I would imagine a replica BAR would retain value much as the Cowboy replicas described above, RARELY increasing in value over retail purchase price (unless of course, kept new, unfired and in the box). The exceptions would be a high-grade engraved gun or a specialty model of short production run.

A BAR copy presents an entirely separate arena of consideration toward retained value. The market for this gun is EXTREMELY limited: very few persons (at least as compared to prospective buyers for Uberti Winchester '73's or Colt's Peacemakers) are in the market for a BAR.

My suggestion is that the gun be purchased for the reason that you want it: to shoot it, show it off, and enjoy it. If you are trying to justify the purchase as an "investment", your significant amount of cash outlay would do MUCH better applied to a truly collectable (perhaps shootable) original of some type of gun other than a BAR.

My suggestion is that the gun be purchased for the reason that you want it: to shoot it, show it off, and enjoy it. If you are trying to justify the purchase as an "investment", your significant amount of cash outlay would do MUCH better applied to a truly collectable (perhaps shootable) original of some type of gun other than a BAR.

That's pretty much what I was suspecting, and the hundred rounds I put through it already was a blast. It wasn't meant to be an investement as much as a gift that would retain its value (and not just monetary.) It's gotten plenty of attention every time it comes out of its case, which is what my wife wanted, I suspect.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top