JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't want to say anything but since it's been brought up....

If your not moving consistently then your dying faster.
I feel like I'll die in a fiery blaze of glory after stopping hard with suicide coils on my trailer and the truck does a regen over something flammable long before sitting kills me.

Or having a pack of lumber crush me to death. Whichever happens first.

For $50/year you can get a safe deposit box at the bank that will fit at least 3 pistols and 2 AR lowers (stocks removed), maybe more depending on state of disassembly. Significantly larger boxes don't cost much more, maybe $100/year and will fit much more. There is a private viewing area, so nobody sees what you're placing in your box. The bank vault will be climate controlled, and obviously very secure. Not 100% sure about the legality, but since no one but you has access or knows what's in there, I wouldn't be worried.

Last Edited:
For $50/year you can get a safe deposit box at the bank that will fit at least 3 pistols and 2 AR lowers (stocks removed), maybe more depending on state of disassembly. Significantly larger boxes don't cost much more, maybe $100/year and will fit much more. There is a private viewing area, so nobody sees what you're placing in your box. The bank vault will be climate controlled, and obviously very secure. Not 100% sure about the legality, but since no one but you has access or knows what's in there, I wouldn't be worried.
NC is a weird state where conceal carry in a bank is illegal but open carry is technically legal.

Just walk on in with an AK, and remember to wear a mask. All will be fine. ;)

Go to a very low humidity state swID Maybe... put em in a walk in storage unit then leave.
Be OK with what 'might' happen, pay it monthly and rest assured.Till you get back to check on it.

Here's an article I found on the subject of firearm storage:
The article recommends, among other options, safe deposit boxes, and also claims
It is illegal to store firearms in self storage, period.
This sounds interesting:
The one exception to this "no guns in self storage" rule is the company Gunsitters, which specializes in storing firearms and ammunition.
Unfortunately, locations are mostly in very gun-unfriendly states.

References are given at the end of the article for further research.

Last Edited:
Bummer on your situation.

Best suggestion, at a friend or family members house. You either have trusted family/friends, or you don't. Bummer you don't.

After that, dunno really. Self store place in a safe? Challenging do it yourself.

Self store place in a "job box" far easier to do it yourself. Won't be able to bolt it down, can weight it down with ammo tho.

As others mentioned, fake out camo with bookshelves of books or somesuch.

Hate to say so, but best most likely is to sell off, rather than paying for the move & the storage place...if times are tough being you need a roommate situation.

Maybe keep a favorite or 2, nobody's business what you have.

Hello,

I am sorry about your situation. It sounds like you have a lot going on. I am not sure if a cross country move will help you or not but if it does help you - great! YOU need a detailed plan.

How many guns, ammunition and gun stuff are you talking about here IF you need the money to make a move for your new career? What about your other stuff in your home? Why NC over any other state? IF this is too personal - please forgive me and do not answer here.

I would sell off most of your guns, package deals, not needed ammo, other gun gear and other NON gun related things that you might not need for a big move. If you need to do it BEFORE you move - make a decision.

If you can do it AFTER YOU MOVE and establish a new home in a new state - you may have better luck selling them in the new state.

You will have to get your new DL or State ID card and change your insurance if you are still able to drive. It will be easier for you to sell something and be LEGAL to do this 'gun wise' with your new ID in your new home - LEGAL state.

I would NOT pay for storage ($$$!!!) for ANY ITEM unless I had no other choice if I was in the military and had NO one (Family or friends.) who could hold a few of my belongings.

Most storage places even here in Montana have laws or RULES that they do NOT allow firearms, any reloading supplies and ammunition to be kept in their storage units. And that is in Montana in well known storage companies. I did check on that some time ago for a friend and even recently. I am not sure how all of the other states work with their laws and storage company rules.

I would KEEP one or two guns that I absolutely LOVED and the ammo to feed them IF I was in your situation. I would KEEP a few of your favorite knives IF I was in your situation too. I would check your new chosen state's GUN LAWS too. Do that before you make a final decision on any state! If you can only afford to keep 1 gun and ammo to feed it - bite the bullet and do what you have to do. Don't hate me for being blunt here.

You need to EARN money and work whether you can get help or not with your physical issues right away or not. Waiting time for that?

So you could work at home for some business and do some side work with your own business. Or do one or the other if that will bring in enough money for your new career in your new state.

Take what you need for your career and simple lifestyle.

Car or truck move?

Small trailer to move - do you own one now (Camping or utility one.) or do you plan to rent one?

Can you physically move yourself or will some person help you drive cross country and move/lift your stuff? Hire people to move/lift your stuff in the new state?

PODS? They do not allow guns or ammo or reloading supplies to be put in them and held on site and for when they get moved within one state or out of state.

Can you fit what you want to take in your car, truck or small cargo VAN and not move any other thing and make this move alone or with another person?

You mentioned your horrible and PAINFUL physical issues.

Maybe you need to fly or take a train or only drive or be driven a few hours per day for such a LONG move.

Moving companies do not move ammo or guns or reloading supplies the last time that I checked.

Storage companies are a waste of money in my NOT so humble opinion.

Can you get a locked tool box to store some things in your vehicle? Personal papers and for one or two guns and ammo?

LOCK up your personal and VERY important papers no how you end up moving.

Get some plastic FILE cabinets if need be - they look like a Rubbermaid tub with a lid on them and LOCK THEM UP securely if you do not use a locked file cabinet on it's side, a locked Sears type took box, or a locked tool box that can be stowed away.

When I moved cross country, I was not in your type of situation. I was going to retire and I was a widow. I knew that I would build a much smaller home and what I had in my large house would NOT fit in my new home. I did NOT want to ruin my GOOD STUFF, pay for a big move no matter how I did the MOVE and have my GOOD STUFF in a climate controlled storage unit if I was NOT going to build a new house or cabin right away.

I moved ALMOST all of my firearms, I sold and gifted a few back east, and I MOVED ALL of the ammo to feed them - firearm calibers that I did take with me.

I was NOT a reloader, I am still NOT a reloader, so I did NOT have to deal with those issues in traveling.

I did NOT have tons and tons of ammo but I did have a fair amount in one tub.

I took what I wanted to take and needed in ALL departments. I moved with my now former SUV and my now former Coleman pop up camper. (I no longer drive.)

I could have SHIPPED SOME THINGS and I could have MOVED some things - I HAD the money to do that and I got a few estimates for about 11 ITEMS TOTAL.

It was not worth it to me if they got ruined plus to pay storage for them if I did not build right away.

I NEVER REGRETTED HOW I MOVED, WHAT I MOVED and HOW I DID EVERYTHING FROM A TO Z years ago.

Now, if I knew back then that my arthritis and a few other physical issues would make me stop shooting HANDGUNS down the road as time went on... I would have sold them back east BEFORE I MOVED - ALL of the handguns.

I would have brought 2 or 3 of my RF rifles with me if I KNEW the future in physical issues! I only owned 3 RF rifles total back east. Marlin Papoose, Browning BL 22 and a Winchester 94-22.

I did NOT own any CF rifle until I moved out west.

But I had NO clue on what would happen 'arthritis wise' and in some other issues at 51 years old.

Now, if I ever move again - build a small cabin, move to another state for a second home or a second home here, move many miles away or closer, and/or move to another country as an EX PAT - I will ONLY move 1 rifle and MOST or all of my knives, axes and 'hawks.

The rifle will be the CZ 455 Lux - 22lr - bolt action rifle.

Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Cate
PS: I know people who bought a small enclosed utility trailer and they moved with it and kept it for storage for their goods until they found a home. Some of them sold it down the road and some of them kept it because it came in handy. I got rid of my enclosed and open utility trailers before I moved out west.

TYPOS!

Last Edited:
I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best and safest places to store your firearms for a year or two. Sadly, I have become disabled from my many years of working in a small software business that required me to do 70-80 hour work weeks. I can no longer work long hours standing or sitting and I am going to be trying to launch my own software business from home. I recently built a lay-down computer workstation that allows me to work very long hours again. Sadly, due to company culture requirements and such, very few companies would allow a disabled guy like me to work laying down and I would be forced in the typical crowded desk environments or to use a standing-desk (even worse than sitting) and just wouldn't be able to cut it in the corporate environment. I also have little desire to work for big company and many times they force you to sign NDAs that make any entrepreneurial aspirations impossible. So, I am confident with enough time I will be able to get back on my feet and either find online software job or launch a software business , do freelancing or consulting.

The sad part is I will be hurting financially while I try to get myself back on my feet. I am going to be probably relocating to Charlotte, NC area since they have a more affordable cost of living (but still not cheap) and the gun laws in North Carolina are decent enough. Unfortunately, Charlotte is a rather anti-gun city and I will be forced to have a roommate for a year or two so I can survive without being stuck living in some of the more ghetto neighborhoods of the city. Every roommate ad I responded to the people said they would not allow anyone with firearms to live in the house. It appears the discrimination against gun owners is worse than any other form and I guess unlike being a certain religion, etc your rights to own a gun are not so protected.

I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find gun friendly roommates in the Charlotte area, so I will be probably forced to store my gun collection, which also includes ammo and other stuff. I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best way I can store my firearms? I probably would want to access them for when I go shooting on the occasion, but probably would be mostly doing pistol shooting and my pistols would always stay with me, regardless of what the a-hole roommates demand. I have to protect myself and sorry others cannot respect that right. My main concerns are theft, rust and of
I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best and safest places to store your firearms for a year or two. Sadly, I have become disabled from my many years of working in a small software business that required me to do 70-80 hour work weeks. I can no longer work long hours standing or sitting and I am going to be trying to launch my own software business from home. I recently built a lay-down computer workstation that allows me to work very long hours again. Sadly, due to company culture requirements and such, very few companies would allow a disabled guy like me to work laying down and I would be forced in the typical crowded desk environments or to use a standing-desk (even worse than sitting) and just wouldn't be able to cut it in the corporate environment. I also have little desire to work for big company and many times they force you to sign NDAs that make any entrepreneurial aspirations impossible. So, I am confident with enough time I will be able to get back on my feet and either find online software job or launch a software business , do freelancing or consulting.

The sad part is I will be hurting financially while I try to get myself back on my feet. I am going to be probably relocating to Charlotte, NC area since they have a more affordable cost of living (but still not cheap) and the gun laws in North Carolina are decent enough. Unfortunately, Charlotte is a rather anti-gun city and I will be forced to have a roommate for a year or two so I can survive without being stuck living in some of the more ghetto neighborhoods of the city. Every roommate ad I responded to the people said they would not allow anyone with firearms to live in the house. It appears the discrimination against gun owners is worse than any other form and I guess unlike being a certain religion, etc your rights to own a gun are not so protected.

I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find gun friendly roommates in the Charlotte area, so I will be probably forced to store my gun collection, which also includes ammo and other stuff. I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best way I can store my firearms? I probably would want to access them for when I go shooting on the occasion, but probably would be mostly doing pistol shooting and my pistols would always stay with me, regardless of what the a-hole roommates demand. I have to protect myself and sorry others cannot respect that right. My main concerns are theft, rust and of course finding a facility that allows firearms and ammo to be stored. I'm not sure how I would go about that. I would assume, for example, many military people who go overseas and don't have family/friends to store them would also face this situation. SO, hopefully, there are others here who have been stuck in a similar situation with having to store their collection.

I have no close friends/ family in my life anymore who can help me with this, so I am kind of on my own.

I appreciate people's suggestions and help.

I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find gun friendly roommates in the Charlotte area, so I will be probably forced to store my gun collection, which also includes ammo and other stuff. I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best way I can store my firearms? I probably would want to access them for when I go shooting on the occasion, but probably would be mostly doing pistol shooting and my pistols would always stay with me, regardless of what the a-hole roommates demand. I have to protect myself and sorry others cannot respect that right. My main concerns are theft, rust and of course finding a facility that allows firearms and ammo to be stored. I'm not sure how I would go about that. I would assume, for example, many military people who go overseas and don't have family/friends to store them would also face this situation. SO, hopefully, there are others here who have been stuck in a similar situation with having to store their collection.

I have no close friends/ family in my life anymore who can help me with this, so I am kind of on my own.

course finding a facility that allows firearms and ammo to be stored. I'm not sure how I would go about that. I would assume, for example, many military people who go overseas and don't have family/friends to store them would also face this situation. SO, hopefully, there are others here who have been stuck in a similar situation with having to store their collection.

Coat the firearms inside and out with LP3 OR LPS3. I think they call it now .

Lps3 coat inside and out for long term storage. I would not rent a storage unit ,theifs hit those . I wonder if there might be a vault rental . Depending on the amout of guns you have and their value it might be worth it. Or if you have run of the mill everyday firearms it might help to thin the heard before you have to.

PS:

Another thing, no matter how you move yourself and your STUFF or where you move to - you will have to check ALL of the gun laws in all of the states that you will go through on your route to your new home state. That is if you take one gun or two guns or a whole bunch of them with you.

I moved over 2,000 miles one way. I traveled on a specific route to AVOID IL and some other cities/states.

I had NO issues with my firearms and ammunition when I made my move but I had it all planned out with 2 routes and I stuck with 1 route and 1 plan.

Cate

I agree with Super X about thieves hitting storage units including GOOD newer ones.

If you only had 1 gun to deal with when you move, handgun or rifle or shotgun, you could LEAVE IT in your locked up box inside a locked up vehicle if push came to shove. Meaning if you rented a room inside a house or condo or apartment - shared space and that person did not want a gun or ammo in their home.

I lived in a HUMID CLIMATE, back east, and I did not have issues in caring for my nice blued and stainless steel handguns and my 3 RF rifles. (Rifles = walnut/blued = 2 of them. Black composite and stainless steel = 1 of them.) I did not do anything special to them but they ALL got used on a regular basis, I cleaned them and I kept them inside of my home in blizzard, boonies, full 4 seasons, farm/lake country.

I can't think of the name of the PRODUCT or products, lube or goop or oil, that my MT husband told me about in the past that people used when they stored their guns for a time frame.

Best wishes to you again.

Cate

I agree with Super X about thieves hitting storage units including GOOD newer ones.

If you only had 1 gun to deal with when you move, handgun or rifle or shotgun, you could LEAVE IT in your locked up box inside a locked up vehicle if push came to shove. Meaning if you rented a room inside a house or condo or apartment - shared space and that person did not want a gun or ammo in their home.

I lived in a HUMID CLIMATE, back east, and I did not have issues in caring for my nice blued and stainless steel handguns and my 3 RF rifles. (Rifles = walnut/blued = 2 of them. Black composite and stainless steel = 1 of them.) I did not do anything special to them but they ALL got used on a regular basis, I cleaned them and I kept them inside of my home in blizzard, boonies, full 4 seasons, farm/lake country.

I can't think of the name of the PRODUCT or products, lube or goop or oil, that my MT husband told me about in the past that people used when they stored their guns for a time frame.

Best wishes to you again.

Cate

LPS3 is the best . I stored a bunch of old blued rifles in a non heated garage . In a truck box , no rust after 10 years

If you can prove that your disability is work-related, you need to be talking to a disability lawyer rather than trying to figure out how to manage your gun collection after a cross-country move.

Haven't read the whole thread, but a few suggestions/comments:

1) I would not use most storage unit places - I have a close friend that used to manage one of these and he would regal me with stories of people who rent a unit and then use that unit to break into adjoining units by cutting thru the walls. Happened all the time. There are sometimes more secure units with more secure walls, but they are more expensive.

2) Humidity controlled is not enough. I know this from experience. Use at least Balistol on the metal, Riggs gun grease if long term, and then put the gun inside a Z-Corr or similar bag.

Could you elaborate on your medical/health issues?

You really need to speak with a health professional (not doctors!) about how to make you better.

I've worked in the fitness industry for almost 2 decades.
What I can tell you is if you go the route you said you will get worse.
You will end up crippling yourself for life.

There are a ton of jobs here in software and IT and you could work from home. The housing cost between here (or surrounding areas) will not be much cheaper than anywhere else in the country.
And the move will be expensive.

And it would help to have an idea of the size of your gun collection?

Heck I'd be willing to store them safely and securely. But we'd have to complete all the legal transfers.
We could write up a contract so i keep them for you, following all transfer laws, and an agreement for if you don't come for them.

You need to speak with a disability lawyer, and get some health advise from someone that isn't a doctor.
All doctors do is keep you disabled and manage your pain.

PS:

Another thing, no matter how you move yourself and your STUFF or where you move to - you will have to check ALL of the gun laws in all of the states that you will go through on your route to your new home state. That is if you take one gun or two guns or a whole bunch of them with you.

I moved over 2,000 miles one way. I traveled on a specific route to AVOID IL and some other cities/states.

I had NO issues with my firearms and ammunition when I made my move but I had it all planned out with 2 routes and I stuck with 1 route and 1 plan.

Cate
If you don't stay in the same state, as in just traveling through, you're supposed to be exempt. Now if you stop in said state, now you have to abide by said laws. So drive straight through, fuel up at most, and don't stop. Tired? Coffee.

Actually it's a small brightly painted model, and he already has twenty other roommates living with him in it... :p

a-clown-car-1-1024x768.jpg

Heck I'd be willing to store them safely and securely. But we'd have to complete all the legal transfers.
We could write up a contract so i keep them for you, following all transfer laws, and an agreement for if you don't come for them.
I'm sure there are many on this forum that would do so too and free of charge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top