JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why NC?
A co-worker was just relocated to Charlotte from Houston by my company.
He is keeping his wife and kids in Houston, because they have found, (1) Houston is much cheaper housing, (2) the job opportunities for his wife are much higher, (3) no state income tax in Texas, and (4) paying rent for a small apartment and adding the plane tickets to Houston will be cheaper than his additional mortgage cost to have the same house in NC.
Charlotte is a sh!thole fyi

Heretic and Flopsweat, glad to know you are fellow software developers or in the IT world. Well, the one thing you have to keep in mind is I have degenerate discs and sciatica and I cannot sit for very long a day without my back hurting and leg going numb. However, even if I can make a recovery I still would not want to sit or stand long hours that are required in a software job. Yes, maybe if I got all ready for interviews, hacked away at my algorithms and I am studying Angular, ASP.NET Core, Linux Web Servers among other things I could really beef up my resume. Sadly, I spent most of my years as a .Net Desktop developer in my business which limited me, but I do have a pretty rich resume that shows a vast amount of projects I worked on, because I was in a small business developing medical type software. I had so many recruiters coming after me when I First moved to Denver. The problem is, that I am disabled. I cannot work at a desk sitting or standing. I built a stellar lay-down work station that allows me to work very long hours again and feel no pain at all. The problems is in this day and age your software skills are not the most important virtue, it is also abiding by company culture. The culture of the company and abiding by their rules and regulations seems to take precedence even over your skills. They love cramming 15 developers in crowded poorly structured workstations that destroy your body. I simply refuse to allow myself to spend my life in operating rooms and having back surgery so I can have a corporate or high paying company software job.

As I said, earlier, I feel the only choice I have now is to work from home doing software in my lay-down workstation. If you guys or anyone else is interested, I am still upgrading my lay-down workstation and going to finish it off this week. I am happy to share it with people as it has become something I am so passionate about. It is my own invention and it has given me back my software career. Both my PT and a Chiropractor both approved it and liked my idea. Sadly, it is the only way I can work software as my disability won't allow me to do desk work anymore.

I haven't been on the job market in over 15 years since I worked for same company, so I would have to spend time preparing for those dreadful interviews. The Microsoft interview I had I passed in everything except the brain bending algorithm questions, since it has been years since i studied those. But, I am glad I didn't get the job, because I have no desire to work in the corporate environment.

I guess I will just have to work at a restaurant, computer store or something and live poor for a while until I can get my online software business going or can get hired for some freelancing or telecommuting work. Like I said, maybe I would have liked in my 20s or early 30s to have worked at a company, but at 41 and with a bad back, I have little desire to engage in the rat-race and my body probably will fall to pieces.

Of course, I am open to your guys ideas and appreciate your background in the industry. I'm unfortunately working with a disadvantage.

I know now that I am going to Florida I will have to make extra precautions in how I store my guns, as I am sure the humid salty environment will eat up my guns like nothing else if they are not properly stored. Praying I don't have to store away my collection.
There are way more remote software jobs out there than there were 15 years ago. Having owned your own company looks great on a resume. If you're really considering something under $50,000 there are online software developer sites where you can bid on jobs. My understanding is that they usually go really cheap to really poor developers, but if you can build a reputation there is a market for good devs there too. I have a friend who has hired people from one or more of those sites, so I can get you more information if it's useful to you.

With a .Net and ASP background it seems to me that you could work your way into enterprise app development. You'd want to learn some SQL and either Angular, Angular JS or MVC (the MS version is a bit different from the Linux side but a lot translates - except for the dev environment). Then look at containers - Docker and the like. Also Azure or AWS.

If you've done IT work, which it sounded like from your post, research "Dev Ops". You might find some fun work there. Dev Ops teams are hungry for folks with developer experience as they try to shed their so-called "IT stigma". They seem to pay better than the traditional IT teams did.

There was someone who posted recently in GFD here that he was having trouble finding a competent developer. I don't recall who it was.

Whatever you do and wherever you go, please keep us posted! I'm sure we're all pulling for you.

Being broke sucks-- I know I used to make $3.35 an hour
So how did you manage to buy any guns?

I had a good job working for AT&T prior to sacrificing to serve my country and my fellow citizens at age 23.

I used to make $0.75 an hour when I first started out in the prep room of an H.Salt Esquire Fish and Chips. Min wage. The working habits that I learned on that first job sted me well later in my working life.

You may want to check local shooting ranges close to where you're moving in FL. I see that SafeFire in Camas offers monthly storage. Of course the fee will add up quickly. But if a short term option is needed while finding housing/roommates etc, might be an option to look into.
Pistol only size safe that is 30" tall, 20" wide and 20" deep
Price: $30/month
10 to 12 long gun case that is 59" tall, 18" wide, and 15" deep
Price: $40/month

Best wishes on the move.

Its funny that 4F lived in Charotte before despite my warnings of it, and considered it as an option.

Raleigh, while still a sh!thole, has jobs and I know some progun people who wouldn't mind another progun roommate. But you know, horse and water and all.

Damn you must be old. lol:p

Older than dirt. My folks gave me a Dodge 880 with the TorqueFlight pushbutton transmission so I could get myself to work. Back in the days when teenagers worked. Gasoline was $0.23/gal. Coca-Cola came out of the machine at the gas station in the traditional hourglass shaped bottle. The gas station attendant was the owner, and he checked oil, water, tire pressure, and washed the windows himself. :D

Older than dirt. My folks gave me a Dodge 880 with the TorqueFlight pushbutton transmission so I could get myself to work. Back in the days when teenagers worked. Gasoline was $0.23/gal. Coca-Cola came out of the machine at the gas station in the traditional hourglass shaped bottle. The gas station attendant was the owner, and he checked oil, water, tire pressure, and washed the windows himself. :D

I was that gas station attendant in 6th grade, but gas was 48.9 cents/gallon back then

Girls were girls and men were men. :)

What's that quote from?
The song "Those Were The Days". Theme song to All in The Family. Archie and Edith sing it in the intro.

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the Hit Parade
Guys like us, we had it made
Those were the days

And you knew where you were then
Girls were girls and men were men
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

Didn't need no welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
Gee our old LaSalle ran great
Those were the days

Upcoming Events