JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best and safest places to store your firearms for a year or two. Sadly, I have become disabled from my many years of working in a small software business that required me to do 70-80 hour work weeks. I can no longer work long hours standing or sitting and I am going to be trying to launch my own software business from home. I recently built a lay-down computer workstation that allows me to work very long hours again. Sadly, due to company culture requirements and such, very few companies would allow a disabled guy like me to work laying down and I would be forced in the typical crowded desk environments or to use a standing-desk (even worse than sitting) and just wouldn't be able to cut it in the corporate environment. I also have little desire to work for big company and many times they force you to sign NDAs that make any entrepreneurial aspirations impossible. So, I am confident with enough time I will be able to get back on my feet and either find online software job or launch a software business , do freelancing or consulting.

The sad part is I will be hurting financially while I try to get myself back on my feet. I am going to be probably relocating to Charlotte, NC area since they have a more affordable cost of living (but still not cheap) and the gun laws in North Carolina are decent enough. Unfortunately, Charlotte is a rather anti-gun city and I will be forced to have a roommate for a year or two so I can survive without being stuck living in some of the more ghetto neighborhoods of the city. Every roommate ad I responded to the people said they would not allow anyone with firearms to live in the house. It appears the discrimination against gun owners is worse than any other form and I guess unlike being a certain religion, etc your rights to own a gun are not so protected.

I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find gun friendly roommates in the Charlotte area, so I will be probably forced to store my gun collection, which also includes ammo and other stuff. I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best way I can store my firearms? I probably would want to access them for when I go shooting on the occasion, but probably would be mostly doing pistol shooting and my pistols would always stay with me, regardless of what the a-hole roommates demand. I have to protect myself and sorry others cannot respect that right. My main concerns are theft, rust and of course finding a facility that allows firearms and ammo to be stored. I'm not sure how I would go about that. I would assume, for example, many military people who go overseas and don't have family/friends to store them would also face this situation. SO, hopefully, there are others here who have been stuck in a similar situation with having to store their collection.

I have no close friends/ family in my life anymore who can help me with this, so I am kind of on my own.

I appreciate people's suggestions and help.

I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best and safest places to store your firearms for a year or two. Sadly, I have become disabled from my many years of working in a small software business that required me to do 70-80 hour work weeks. I can no longer work long hours standing or sitting and I am going to be trying to launch my own software business from home. I recently built a lay-down computer workstation that allows me to work very long hours again. Sadly, due to company culture requirements and such, very few companies would allow a disabled guy like me to work laying down and I would be forced in the typical crowded desk environments or to use a standing-desk (even worse than sitting) and just wouldn't be able to cut it in the corporate environment. I also have little desire to work for big company and many times they force you to sign NDAs that make any entrepreneurial aspirations impossible. So, I am confident with enough time I will be able to get back on my feet and either find online software job or launch a software business , do freelancing or consulting.

The sad part is I will be hurting financially while I try to get myself back on my feet. I am going to be probably relocating to Charlotte, NC area since they have a more affordable cost of living (but still not cheap) and the gun laws in North Carolina are decent enough. Unfortunately, Charlotte is a rather anti-gun city and I will be forced to have a roommate for a year or two so I can survive without being stuck living in some of the more ghetto neighborhoods of the city. Every roommate ad I responded to the people said they would not allow anyone with firearms to live in the house. It appears the discrimination against gun owners is worse than any other form and I guess unlike being a certain religion, etc your rights to own a gun are not so protected.

I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find gun friendly roommates in the Charlotte area, so I will be probably forced to store my gun collection, which also includes ammo and other stuff. I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions of the best way I can store my firearms? I probably would want to access them for when I go shooting on the occasion, but probably would be mostly doing pistol shooting and my pistols would always stay with me, regardless of what the a-hole roommates demand. I have to protect myself and sorry others cannot respect that right. My main concerns are theft, rust and of course finding a facility that allows firearms and ammo to be stored. I'm not sure how I would go about that. I would assume, for example, many military people who go overseas and don't have family/friends to store them would also face this situation. SO, hopefully, there are others here who have been stuck in a similar situation with having to store their collection.

I have no close friends/ family in my life anymore who can help me with this, so I am kind of on my own.

I appreciate people's suggestions and help.

I don't have any good suggestions gun-storage wise, but I wish you luck and admire your resilience when many others would probably just give up. :)

Well.

I would have suggested a gun trust if you had someone to leave them with.

Since you want access to them and will be in a new place with no one to trust, personally I would get a temperature controlled very small storage unit - put a cheap book case or two in the doorway so no one can see inside and store my guns and ammo in a locker or something passably secure and then put a monster lock on the storage unit.

That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Seems to me you have incompatible goals.

You have no money, and want to move across country and you will have no money in the near future. Yet you're trying to hold onto a valuable gun collection which is improbable or impractical and of no immediate use. You're being ruled by emotion when you have practical real world problems. You need money, not guns, right now.

But the advice is contingent - are we talking 5 guns, 25 guns, or 200 guns?

5 guns, simple, just get a nice safe. Or similar.
25 guns, find a trusted friend, lock down an agreement, etc. I was on both ends of this, having friends watch my collection and I watched theirs, while on deployments. Family did too.
200 guns - probably going to need to sell off the collection to make it manageable to move across country.

Moving across country with anything more than a SUV or UHaul full of guns and ammo is really stressful, difficult, and expensive. If you're strapped for cash it's probably best to liquidate and re-acquire later when you can.

If you have a big collection you should insure it, even at the cost of 1-3 gun liquidations.

One thought is a pre-paid storage locker but there are big risks of theft or default sale if you are late on payment.

I have no direct experience with your question of gun storage. However, I have seen other postings on Calguns for a member named AudioPhil2 who is located in Arizona and who has gun storage services among other middleman offerings:

It does not appear to be "cheap" but it appears to be responsive to your question. At the very least it is a contact who may have information or other referrals for you.

Best wishes to you OP.

Can you collect enough Social Security Disability to quit working for a while? Would also probably have to spend some of your savngs.

Do you know a trustworthy person who owns a home they plan to be in for a while, that would let you anchor a safe in their home or garage? Pay a few $$/month for rent. Depending on your local laws, might have to "transfer" all of your guns into their name; perhaps you could do that and have a written agreement that you are the owner and they are just storing them for you, and if they move, or go bankrupt they cannot sell your guns.

Good luck.

I have no direct experience with your question of gun storage. However, I have seen other postings on Calguns for a member named AudioPhil2 who is located in Arizona and who has gun storage services among other middleman offerings:

It does not appear to be "cheap" but it appears to be responsive to your question. At the very least it is a contact who may have information or other referrals for you.

Best wishes to you OP.

I have been to Phil's a few times and he is definitely competent and trustworthy.

Okay 4F, first of all my sympathies because this sucks!!

Secondly, NC is a high humidity enviro. When I was there I experienced a lot of rust... so gun care is mandatory. If you are not going to use them, but have them stored in NC, I recommend coating with RIGG grease... it works. Otherwise, you will need to check on them often, wipe them down and retreat them.

Maybe you could room with @Boboclown, he's gun friendly and in NC.

Ray
I'm antigun and in New York City. ;) But where 4F is moving to and where I live is a long drive. But if he has his own safes I won't mind using up garage space or something, but its an issue of him not having access if I'm not home (and I wanna make money so can be long periods of time).
Doesn't Bobo live in his twuck?
Home is where you park it.

Okay 4F, first of all my sympathies because this sucks!!

Secondly, NC is a high humidity enviro. When I was there I experienced a lot of rust... so gun care is mandatory. If you are not going to use them, but have them stored in NC, I recommend coating with RIGG grease... it works. Otherwise, you will need to check on them often, wipe them down and retreat them.
I live in NC. My stuff hasn't rusted. o_O

And AKs are not immune to rust, there's enough videos of AKs being dug up to prove that!

I wouldn't bring it up to the roommate. I'd also figure out a job that allows less hours and has healthcare to allow you to start physical therapy. I'd also start exercising. Laying down at a computer 80 hours a week doesn't sound like a healthy or viable long term option.

Making the wise move to relocate them while you get things squared away.

You can/could find somebody you trust 100% and 'transfer' to them for safe keeping. Could set up a trust and have the firearms added to said trust and have an additional person on there (again, somebody you trust).

Not really much options left outside of storage at a persons residence. I know part of the past behind you and I know there aren't many options that would work well in your situation and for that I'm sorry. :-(

I wouldn't bring it up to the roommate. I'd also figure out a job that allows less hours and has healthcare to allow you to start physical therapy. I'd also start exercising. Laying down at a computer 80 hours a week doesn't sound like a healthy or viable long term option.

I didn't want to say anything but since it's been brought up....

If your not moving consistently then your dying faster.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top