JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too much oil can damage wood stocks so some store barrel down following an old shot gun tradition.
I don't.
My view is it is not prudent to store and forget. Even cosmoline is not without it's issues.
I prefer to lightly oil, (any good oil or even Birchwood casey gun stock wax) followed by a six month quick wipe down and re-oil routine which gets me close enough to each unused treasure on a regular basis to see if more attention might be needed. It really doesn't take very long. you'll be able to catch arising issues before they become major. I use gloves as I have acid skin oil and if you do too you must heed other members admonition offered here not to touch, or your finger print might literally be etched in steel for posterity.
Anything or anyone of value to you is worth a visit now and then to see if all is right.

Sounds like it
When I deployed I would always use the Silicon gun socks inside locked gun cases packed away in the basement up high! In a few cases, I had not touched some of my arms in close to 10 years, all of them were the same condition as when I packed them away!
Hmmm sounds like the gun socks might be a good buy if they work as well as you say with how cheap they are. Did you ever bother with oiling them before packing em away?

I can't say for what Ura-Ki does, but you should always have applied some protectant to the metal of your firearms, particularly before storage, it doesn't change regardless how you're storing them.

I can't say for what Ura-Ki does, but you should always have applied some protectant to the metal of your firearms, particularly before storage, it doesn't change regardless how you're storing them.
When I deployed I would always use the Silicon gun socks inside locked gun cases packed away in the basement up high! In a few cases, I had not touched some of my arms in close to 10 years, all of them were the same condition as when I packed them away!
So just coat all the metal with oil, throw each one in a sealed silicon sock and put each back in its foam lined case? Just wanna make sure i have it nailed down on what i need to do. Lots of options here but im just looking to keep it simple for now.

I dissembled wood stock rifles and opened up all the actions and coated them all in moly grease and wrapping in wax impregnated paper, before packing them away in the socks! Putting them in the basement above the floor level kept the heat even and moisture low!

Yeah, i mean, a good gun oil should always be wiped on the surface for protection purposes.

Unless you're able to control the environment, i wouldn't go sealing them in, think about your car in winter, if it's outside, the inside will get condensation as it gets cold. When i warms up again, you will get it evaporating and then as it cools down, you'll get the condensation forming, this is the problem.

Yeah, i mean, a good gun oil should always be wiped on the surface for protection purposes.

Unless you're able to control the environment, i wouldn't go sealing them in, think about your car in winter, if it's outside, the inside will get condensation as it gets cold. When i warms up again, you will get it evaporating and then as it cools down, you'll get the condensation forming, this is the problem.
Only reason i wanna put em back in the cases is the only other option is putting them up on shelves in no container at all.

The lube should prevent any condensation from getting to the metal, the wax impregnated paper will provide a moisture barrier, The socks will wick out moisture and also act as a protection/desiccant, and finally, the gun cases will provide protection from physical damage!

The silicone dessicants in the trash bag in the case, after oiling/greasing will get rid of any residual problematic moisture.

Use silicone packs only! Not those desicants tubs that you could put in a closet/room/RV. Those tubs are a salt that liquifies into a brine, and outgases a small amount of a hydrochloric acid vapor.

Should be able to pick up silicone packs at Cabelas, Sportsmans, Fishermans or MAYBE BiMart. Amazon has food grade packs & really cheap if you have time to wait to get them delivered, takes about a week.

If your really short on time, I could give you fifty packs tomorrow if you can meet at Cabelas Tualatin about 4. Just give me a holler by 2.

If you're storing them for more than say a month unattended, i would recommend staying away from the otherwise good idea of silicone desiccant packs. They don't take too long to suck up moisture, but then they're spent and essentially hold moisture nearby, if the air dries out more than the pack contains water, they will release it back into the air again.

I thin if you do the paper, socks and lube, you'll be good, maybe leave the cases cracked open rather than closing, let the air circulate as it wants to.

Finally, i'd say you could get away with the cases closed given all the other precautions, however as you've already found rust, i will say that you would be better off not closing the cases fully. Stick a spent casing in the jamb to keep it open, maybe use rubber bands to hold the cases closed against that.

Silicone cloths and socks are priceless in protecting a firearms finish. All stored firearms get treated to a complete silicone wipe down before being stored...

In 30+ years, I've only had one firearm rust on me, a revolver that was wiped down with a polishing cloth prior to storage... Never made that mistake again...

I like silicone spray liberally dosed on a silicone rag... the cloths you buy rarely had enough treatment for me.

Also I used grease inside all shotgun barrels being put away for long term storage. It's not that hard to remove and your barrel interior is guaranteed to stay rust free. There is a puffy head made for doing this with a cleaning rod. I used RIG but any grease will do.

So i'm trying to figure out the basics of long term gun storage. All my guns are in locked cases but do i need to do anything aside from keeping them in a safe location? Remove oil? Something else weird?

Basically i just wanna find them in the same condition i left them when i pull em out again.
Ok, i have a friend who has. Many many many firearms,very much a collector, and cleaning them all was hard to accomplish... Yes, life, work and the world can get in the way.....so he came up with a plan....and yes this is for the hoard, that is put away, awaiting it's time to see the light of day....clean and oil them all, and then seal a meal them, with a very very good food saver......I personally just looked a a few mosin nagants that I squirreled away 5 years ago, they are pristine, beautiful, and look the same as they did when I sealed them up.......yes we all love our guns, I like to have them handy ready to go, and fire them often, but, they don't always fair well in cases, sleeves, and even gun safes......if you want to take it out to range, cut the seal a meal bag, wipe it off, and your good to go, clean and re seal....it will always be happy and rust free......

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top