JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i'm trying to figure out the basics of long term gun storage. All my guns are in locked cases but do i need to do anything aside from keeping them in a safe location? Remove oil? Something else weird?

Basically i just wanna find them in the same condition i left them when i pull em out again.

Oil all metal well.

Don't touch the metal with your bare hands.

Store in a place that doesn't change temps much.

Store in a dry area.

That's worked for me so far.
Any specific kind of oil or just what i have been using after i clean it? Dont know much about the various kinds :p

All my guns are in locked cases
This is not good, especially if they have foam lining. You may have an issue with the oil/oils used reacting negatively with the foam. One thing for sure DO NOT put away if any moisture is on the rifle/pistol, you will have a rusted hulk before long. In general I do not recommend storing in cases.

Buying desiccant packets and putting one or two in the container certainly helps. I use gun wax on regular blued finishes and wood furniture. For storage, a heavier oil with a protective element is good. This may be the one good use for WD-40 on guns, as it leaves a wax (hydrophobic; WD= water displacement). Thing is, I wouldn't put it in the action, just the barrel (maybe not actually) and external surfaces; this would be for long term storage and would likely need removal when rifle is used, so not maybe a good choice if you cache a gun for immediate use on unearthing in an emergent situation. BreakFree CLR may be a better choice as it has more preservative properties; I definitely don't use it myself for proper lubrication of moving parts.
Any material that can hold moisture, especially that is in contact or proximity to the gun (leather, foam, and some even say codura-nylon holsters, etc.) should be avoided.

Last Edited:
If the cases you're referring to are transport cases with the foam/sponge in them, get them out, guaranteed rust. Been there, done that.

It's actually better to grab one of those cheap gun cabinets for storage, they might not be much more secure than the case, but you're looking for keeping them in a controlled environment here.

Desiccant packets are the right idea, but based upon how often i need to charge my packs, you'll be lucky if your packets last a week before they're ready for the trash.

Anyway, a cabinet or suitable box, shove either a 'golden rod' in there to keep the dew point high, or grab a dehumidifier like i linked below (and i use) that actually keeps it dryer in the container.

You would prep your guns as you do normally, metal gets a coat of what you use for the "protection" part of your CLP process, and personally i would recommend modern stuff for that, non petroleum (less reaction in storage and pointless using the old stuff when it's no better than the new) so any fully synthetic oil or the 'plant-based' stuff like Seal1.

Amazon.com: New and Improved Eva-dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier: Home & Kitchen

Yes, desiccant packs are not a cure all. They are more effective if your storage is ultimately sealed, like a cache. If not, then they will definitely get used up faster, and an active moisture control mechanism is better suited.
It seems like I'm always getting the desiccant gel packs in with packages, and I toss them in the various places I keep guns that are enclosed.

So i'm trying to figure out the basics of long term gun storage. All my guns are in locked cases but do i need to do anything aside from keeping them in a safe location? Remove oil? Something else weird?

Basically i just wanna find them in the same condition i left them when i pull em out again.
Oil runs off and can evaporate. I grease mine up. Heavily. Everywhere. Down the barrel, in the action (on large action firearms such as AKs, ARs..etc)
Pistols, depending on the type (I dont store intricate action firearms in storage)

Before shooting a stored firearm I use rubbing alcohol to rid the action areas and barrel of grease. On the exterior of the firearm I just wipe the grease away.

Its kept a few of my firearms covered in grease in storage, rust free for 4 years now.

I take a firearm case, line it with garbage bag plastic on either side (to not grease the foam which reacts to oil and grease over time) then place the firearm in the middle with dessicants at the front, rear and middle of the case inside
(taped to the sheets so they dont move) then button it up and its good to go.

I use cheap tubes of grease btw. No need for fancy crap.

Oh boy oh boy early christmas for me. popped open the shotgun case and sure enough it had some rust starting on the barrel. thank god the AR is safe so far atleast. Gonna call this a learning experience so far considering im still a new gun owner.

Anyway to address some of whats being mentioned. yes the foam cases in question are the standard carry cases (1 has a pressure valve if that matters). my local gun shop just told me to basically get a paint brush and oil the holy hell oit of the metal. seeing how he and Joe13 agree on that ill do that.

As for the cases. im broke and shipping to basic training soon so i cant really get a cabinet (even a cheap one for now). i thought about gun socks but again local gun guy said they are not too great for long term.

So how else can i make the best of these foam cases for the time being? So far im just thinking ungodly amounts of oil on everything metal and shove plenty of those little moisture packs in each one.

Thoughts? again im almost broke so cheap options are best :)

Oil runs off and can evaporate. I grease mine up. Heavily. Everywhere. Down the barrel, in the action (on large action firearms such as AKs, ARs..etc)
Pistols, depending on the type (I dont store intricate action firearms in storage)

Before shooting a stored firearm I use rubbing alcohol to rid the action areas and barrel of grease. On the exterior of the firearm I just wipe the grease away.

Its kept a few of my firearms covered in grease in storage, rust free for 4 years now.

I take a firearm case, line it with garbage bag plastic on either side (to not grease the foam which reacts to oil and grease over time) then place the firearm in the middle with dessicants at the front, rear and middle of the case inside
(taped to the sheets so they dont move) then button it up and its good to go.

I use cheap tubes of grease btw. No need for fancy crap.
So basically grease it up and place it inside a garbage bag in the case to avoid contact with the foam?

I've read that the foam liner holds the ambient room humidity against the firearm, suggestion is to use plastic between the firearm and the foam. Cut up some garbage bags? Cheap...

I've read that the foam liner holds the ambient room humidity against the firearm, suggestion is to use plastic between the firearm and the foam. Cut up some garbage bags? Cheap...
Hey if it works ill take it. Would it be like ZA mentioned? Just wrap them up in a bigass garbage bag after oiling them, tie em off and back into the case?

Honestly, after a light oiling, I used silicone impregnated gun socks and stored them in the back of a closet for many years, had no trouble at all.

Thankfully I now have a large gun safe with an electric dehumidifier.

I wouldn't wrap them tight. Mostly just keeping the dust off anyway.

If you have the option of leaving the cases open, do so, propped open maybe?
Don't have them contact the foam.
Do not seal them in a bag, the issue is the air not getting to them and moisture getting trapped.
Don't use the desiccant bags long term, they hold moisture, not good if you're not maintaining them.

Grease will be better than oil, long term, i'd use that, try and keep it off wood, and if it's petroleum based, keep it off plastic too.

Get a gunsafe and install a goldenrod
problem solved as long as the electricity works

Might be time for some public christmas wishing,
Costco has a $600 safe

Of course that's a great idea, as is my suggestion of the even cheaper gun cab, but he's not got that kind of money right now :(

When I deployed I would always use the Silicon gun socks inside locked gun cases packed away in the basement up high! In a few cases, I had not touched some of my arms in close to 10 years, all of them were the same condition as when I packed them away!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top