JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

First let me start off by saying I am not a member of the LDS church. I did find out the LHS (Mormon Church) does open up their food pantry to the public on Tuesdays and Thursday from 9-3. I just got back and it was a very nice experience. The Church purchases very large quantities of food and you basically can everything you buy with the help of the church members. Everyone was very helpful and it went quite fast for the amount I got. I would highly recommend it for any looking for long term storage of food. They told me today they would love to see more non-LDS people come down. Again I am not involved in the church just want to let everyone know of long term food storage options they have. Details and a link to pricing below.

<broken link removed> (see the PDF order form)

Family Home Storage Center
10420 SE 82nd AVE
Portland OR. 97086
971-230-0770

Thanks for the info, I've been thinking of going over there for a long time, even filled out my order form, but was always hesitant because I'm not a member and didn't want to get preached at. Good to hear.

I understand they will let you can food items you bring in yourself.

Mylar and 5 gallon buckets have always been my long term storage method but I just bought some cases of dehydrated vegetable soup and the cans may be a good option for splitting up the bulk soup into smaller quantities.

I understand they will let you can food items you bring in yourself.

Maybe at that particular cannery, but not the one here in the TriCities. The guy that runs the place states that you can only can what you buy there at their distribution center...HOWEVER, you can rent one of their portable canners (which I HIGHLY recommend). A few months back I rented (it's free btw) their canner and canned up ammunition along with some sugar, rice and salt.

Mylar and 5 gallon buckets have always been my long term storage method but I just bought some cases of dehydrated vegetable soup and the cans may be a good option for splitting up the bulk soup into smaller quantities.

Cans are great for things that buckets can't effectively store and give you smaller, more portable portions as well. Also, did you know that if you store buckets on concrete they may leach toxic chemicals into your food supply?

<broken link removed>

A few months back I rented (it's free btw) their canner and canned up ammunition along with some sugar, rice and salt.

The fellas at the pdx store told me that canning salt would not work as it corrodes the can.

BTW, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church), the cannery is a great place to buy food for storage. It isnt meant for members only, it is part of the community and to help people store food for emergencies and when times get hard. Plus the most my wife gets is info on how to store food better or ways to do it.

How do their prices for the food items compare with a bulk section in a big store, or a granary?

I didn't quite understand. Will they let you bring 5 gallon buckets and mylar?

I am not a Morman, but I am respectful. I have been to the cannery in Portland 3 times for good sized purchases. They have always been wonderful and of good humor. I asked if I could can things I bought elsewhere, the answer is no, and I respect their reasoning.

They sanitize everything having to do with stored food, every time. They know their products are safe, they do not know about whatever I bring in to can. Having been there and helped with the sanitation, I agree with their policy.

A few months back I rented (it's free btw) their canner and canned up ammunition along with some sugar, rice and salt.

The fellas at the pdx store told me that canning salt would not work as it corrodes the can.

I did not know that. Maybe that's why you can't buy Salt at the LDS canneries? Makes me wonder...

FYI, it was Powdered Milk, Sugar and Ammo I loaded in the cans (just did an inventory) the rice and salt are in buckets...

I am not a Morman, but I am respectful. I have been to the cannery in Portland 3 times for good sized purchases. They have always been wonderful and of good humor. I asked if I could can things I bought elsewhere, the answer is no, and I respect their reasoning.

They sanitize everything having to do with stored food, every time. They know their products are safe, they do not know about whatever I bring in to can. Having been there and helped with the sanitation, I agree with their policy.

Again, I would ask them if they have a portable canner they lend out...they don't need to know what you can in your own home.

I stopped by their today very nice people.
Picked up a couple of items to try.
Need to find out more on how to use some of the grains and beans.
They are only open on Tues and Thursdays.
They will open nights and weekends for large groups if anyone is interested.
Charger

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top