JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what your doing and wanting id say the 30-06 because of the edge with speed and better performance with the 200 plus grain bullets.
However you are asking about moose as well.
For a good combo gun that will be quite well with both I would suggest a .338.
While it may at times seem more then you will need.. you wont find yourself wishing you had more.
The .338 quite easly handles all 200 pluse grain bullets. This is quite helpful while hunting on the wetside becuase of the brush and tree branches.
For elk load 210 or 220 range.
For moose I have always used 250 nosler. ( however my next moose hunt might be with barrnes.)
Not to say the 30-06 is not at all capable of both, in fact it is quite good at it.
I tend to stick with my 35 whelen or 30-338 but not common and not cheap usually. Or at least not as cheap..
Another reason most of my moose hunting is with 338 is the fact I tend to hunt moose in bear country. I dont want to be eaten!
In the interior of Alaska I usualy have a 340wby..
This is all biased of course as I am a huge fan of the .338 offerings.
If I were to have one gun for all hunting in north america.. it would be something in 338.
Prefere to have at least two though.. the other would be a 257 roberts.

Recoil is an issue for some and the WinMag does let you know you took a shoot and I have met a lot of hunters who wont own the winmag because of that. I am a recoil junky so its all good for me.

The winmag is easy to load for.

This my thoughts.

Between the two you are asking, and the fact you want to add moose, it stay with the -06.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top