JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
anyone on here very experienced with long range shooting 600-1000yards. just wanting some input on calibers, guns, scopes, everything. i have a long range capable rifle, havnt practiced alot at ranges that far. wanting to get more into it. im interested in my ballistics vs. other guns. and also guns that can be bought or built that are affordable to average people. under $1500 -optics
The gun i currently shoot is a 300wby on a rem700 action, 26" pacnor #4 stainless fluted barrel, hs precision stock, glass bedded, 3lb trig, i have a 3-9 zeiss conquest scope on it currently, but have been debation on new optics for this rifle, or just start with a new rifle. i want to be able to shoot basically 600-800 yds accurately and still have knockdown for animals as large as elk
my load recipe was made by the gun builder. 200gr nosler accubond, 85gr RL25, federal 215 primers, 3.585 O.A.L.
wasnt sure if anyone on here was a real ballistics expert but i have been told this is a great recipe for long range accuracy.

Your gun should be fine for long range. You will need a scope with good repeatable turrets to shoot out that far though. The accubond is a good hunting bullet and should do well at longer ranges. A match grade target bullet like the sierra matchking or berger vld are some of the more popular choices for long range shooters. Practice is key. Practice at different distances and under different condions. Keeping a log book is helpfull. Note your elevation and windage settings under different conditions. Practice untill taking a 6-800 yard shot is so routine that it almost becomes boring. Then you can start to think about taking game at those distances. Both tri-county and douglas ridge offer long range shooting opportunities.

There is a nice group of us that shoot 600 yards at Tri County Gun Club. Since we shoot 20 rounds for score plus sighters, not many magnum rifles out there. Barrel life, cost, and recoil. But, we are not concerned with knockdown energy and terminal ballistics. Many people shoot the .308 Win for distance. Inexpensive, accurate, many bullets available, plenty of brass, makes it a reasonable and popular choice. But the .308 Win would not be the choice for taking down an elk at 1000 yards.

As for optics, Nightforce seems to be the popular choice. I have not invested anywhere near the amount a Nightforce costs, at least yet. I have a Vortex 6.5-20. For the money I have been pretty happy with it.

<broken link removed> and everything related to long range shooting!....be warned this is weeks and weeks of reading and open your checkbook really wide if ya wanna run with these big dogs!....

+1 with Beavernation's recommendation. I am a Hide member and have learned TONS from the website. The gun you have is more than adequate for 600-1000 yds. but I would highly suggest you look at an optic in the 6-24x50 range with good turrets. Look at Vortex or NightForce to name a couple and plan on spending at least $800. I shoot a T/C Icon in .308 with a Vortex Viper and an Atlas bipod. I've gotten pretty good out to about 800. A lot of folks are also going to the 6.5 Creedmore, shoots flatter. I also really like the 5R rifling on my T/C. Remington has a 5R rifling available as well but I'm not a Big Green fan.

Thanks I was already looking at the vortex viper, I have a chance to buy a 6.5 creedmoore, and have been looking at that route also, but may limit long range hunting to deer and smaller. What might you expect the barrel life to be on a magnum? Creedmoore? Does anyone know the accuracy of a savage model10 with a 20" barrel out of the box?
I'm not on sniperhide or whatever, because than I would just be there 24/7 reading. I don't have a huge budget, and am not shooting for money. Just wanted some feedback on here from everyone.
Thanks for the input so far. I'm still gonna have to check out that site though.

Biggameinfo.com has a free ballistic calculator that should help you decide what you need and how far out you can reach. You might be surprised at the 6.5 energy at 1000 yards compared to what your shooting now. I have two 260 ack imp. that shoot 140 grain vlds at 2930-2950fps. very effective at 1k. Your current set up sounds like it would be just fine for long range hunting, although if your looking for precision you need a scope with adjustable parallax. a muzzle brake will help keep recoil fatigue down as well. I was shooting the accubonds until I switched to vld's much less drop and drift, and cheaper...

My long range rifles are a 7mm Rem Mag Winchester model 70, 30-06 Winchester model 70, Custom built 30-06 with Mauser afican action, thumb hole wood stock with 28 in barrel. Winchester 70's have exceptionallly good factory barrels. 30-06 ammo, brass of same manufacture, water volumn tested and measure out as clones. Bullets are 167 or 180 boat tails. 7mm, Brass is measured out as clones. Bullets are 175 boat tails. Neather are hollow points. Was going to order a new 7mm Rem Mag with new Mauser action and 28 in barrel. Thumbhole wood stock. $3200 plus scope. Still thinking. Don't know why I want another long range target rifle. Maybe its cuz I can?

My 1000 yard rifle is a 1885 Hi-wall, in 45-70. Loaded with 70 gr FFG black powder, 535 gr. Postell lead. Sights are Lyman globe with inserts up front, and a Creedmore vernier tang on the rear.. Yes open sights on a 1000 yard rifle. Hits those steel Buffalo with a punch..

wow, thanks for the info, my next question would be, if im gonna shoot long range i want to practice alot, and with a magnum rifle, how long should i expect the barrel life to be? what might i expect the barrel life to be on a 6.5 creedmoore, and how accurate out of the box should i expect a 20" barrel from savage to be?

I gotta be honest: Trying to take game at that range gets my nose out of joint.
Bullets at that distance have lost so much energy that you could easily wound an animal and it would escape.
It also has always smacked me as the zenith of laziness and lack of woodsmanship that someone could not stalk closer than 1,000 yards to make a shot. Or even 600-800 yards. I've walked right up to elk in the woods at different times of the year, and the longest shot I ever made on a buck was 250 yards, and that was on open prairie in eastern Montana.

I used to do that years ago. Remington 700BDL (1964, back when the BDL was the hot ticket) 6.5 Win Mag, using 140 gr Sierra match king bullets (the 142 gr wasn't out yet) and that did work fairly well. Still have the Rifle, used it to hunt coydogs with 100 gr jhp Sierra's and Antilope with 120 gr. spitzer Sierra's with that rifle too.

I won't talk powders, they have changed too much for the information to be of any use, but I did find that 0.5 gr download from max usually was a bit better than full max compressed load at least with the powders I was using.

Bullets at that distance have lost so much energy that you could easily wound an animal and it would escape.
It also has always smacked me as the zenith of laziness and lack of woodsmanship that someone could not stalk closer than 1,000 yards to make a shot. Or even 600-800 yards. I've walked right up to elk in the woods at different times of the year, and the longest shot I ever made on a buck was 250 yards, and that was on open prairie in eastern Montana.

I agree with not wounding animals, but that's why u practice long range shooting is to have the ability to make the clean kill. Yes in most occasions u can get closer, but I have had more than one time had clear shots from 600-800 yards, where I couldn't get any closer. Canyons in Wyoming are steep, or if u are antelope hunting you may not have any cover to get closer.

Anyways my 300wby has around 140 rds through it already, not sure how much life I could expect to have in the barrel.
I also have a 300 wsm but wasn't sure how it would perform next to the weatherby

Dave, I have never shot at anything living over 450 yards, have not needed to....but think about this.

A 30-30, 170 gr .307" flat nose comes out of the muzzel at about 2000 FPS...That bullet has 1332 Ft-Lbs of energy AT THE MUZZEL, it's down to 810 Ft-Lbs at 100 yards.

Commercially purchased .264 win mag, 140 grain, comes out the muzzle at 3200 FPS. At that speed, it has 3183 Ft-Lbs of energy, at 600 yards it still ahs 1498 Ft-Lbs of energy... more than the 30-30 has at the muzzle.

At 1000 yards the .264 140 gr commercially produced ammo still has 843 Ft-Lbs which is more energy left than a 30-30 has at 100 yards.

So, Now, on an antilope sized target, would you shoot it with a 30-30 at 100 Yds? Woiuld you shoot a deer with a 30-30 at 100 yds? A whitetail is larger than an antilope. (at least they are around here)

I also agree that TRYING to take game from those distances is reprehensible. But if you're an accomplished long range shooter, have the gear, knowledge and skill, it isn't really TRYING. With that said, the OP obviously isn't an accomplished LR shooter, YET. Give him some time and maybe he'll be making Youtube videos of his 1000 yard, one shot kills on elk. But OP, you have a LOOOOOONG way to go before you're there if you're having to ask these kinds of questions. Best of luck to you, have lots of fun!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top