JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was tossing around the idea of getting a surbu rn50. Now I'm leaning towards a Savage 111 long range model in 338 Lapua.

Any Lapua owners here? Any feedback?

I also have a howa1500 in 6.5 swede and I'm wondering are there shooting comps around?

Long distance shooting thread. Help me learn.

Hoe are you going to feed this rifle? There are simpler, albeit less sexy, cartridges out there that will get you into the game.

If you are a reloader, sky is the limit and you can make your own match grade ammo with high BC bullets measured for your particular rifle.

If not, look at what is available off the shelf that is precise enough to make LR shooting feasible and somewhat affordable. That just about narrows it down to 308.

308 aint sexy, but its a great way to learn because there is no cartridge with more data available.

Price of ammo on the Lapua is a turn off but just as I would with a 50, I would be shooting it.

You bring up a good point with 308. Not only would it bring ammo prices down but the price of a production gun would be less.

I used to play around with 300 ultra mag for fun. 338 Lapua is a fade, but I'm still curious about it.

If not, look at what is available off the shelf that is precise enough to make LR shooting feasible and somewhat affordable. That just about narrows it down to 308.

308 aint sexy, but its a great way to learn because there is no cartridge with more data available.

As I've noted several times here before, the .308 Winchester is very marginal out to 1,000 yards but it will get the job done. It's what I use and as you say load data, along with a huge variety of components, is readily available.

That said, the 6.5x55 Swede is very hard to beat as a long range cartridge; in a well done rifle system it can absolutely be a top competitor in any iron sight or any sight long range match.

I can afford the ammo. It's really just wanting to fill a nich I don't do. Try something new. I would have to look for a range. No real place in this area to safely try.

I know a bunch of competitors out to 1400-1500 yards. The hottest cartridges now are 300 Norma mag and the 6.5 creedmoor. 338 is great but it's an expensive Mankiller it is expensive. The recoil is bad enough to make you shoot less. If you want to shoot
Steel and paper, think smaller IMO.

I agree with go smaller and cheaper first, develope your shooting skills, wind reading skills etc first and before going large shoulder pounding flinch causing expensive rounds , part of that is practice, practice, practice. if you plan to reload ammo, highly suggested, you want a round that is ez to shoot, low recoil, highly available brass, proven accurate and efficient. expect to shoot 1000's of rds to become very good with the rifle, cartridge, and your skills.
I've found even the 243 winchester is a vary viable and affordable long range option, lots of good 6mm projectiles, plenty of good cheap or expensive brass, and capable of reaching out to 1400 yards before transonic/subsonic. the 260 winchester would be similar . other options but alittle more expensive brass wise and not as much cheap ots ammo is 6 creed, 6.5 creed, 6x47 lapua, 6.5x47 lapua , 6mm remington, 6 or 6.5x284
dont expect long barrel life from any long range cartridge pushing over 3100 fps. but compared to other cost in the long range game 350$ barrels are not a large expense, there a consumable just as the bullets and powder are. just my 2 pennies worth.
by the way I shoot 6mm slr, a improved 243 long range wildcat. slr stands for super long range. its made by die forming, not fireforming like ackley improved or other similar wildcats. it just uses standard winchester or remington 243 brass. run it thru sizing die, ready to shoot.
why limit yourself to a off the self gun, ? for about the same money building from either a remmy 700 action or a savage10/110 action you can build a better/ more accurate and consistent gun for similar money. find a used savage at a pawn shop, get a good laminated stock like boyds, bobby hart, a quality prefit barrel, true the action, trigger job if needed, bed it, scope it , shot lights out on the cheap. or remmy 700, extra cost because requires a smith to rebarrel, but after market options are endless for it.

Last Edited:
I love all the advice. I should clear one thing up though. I have been shooting a long time and I don't flinch. I mean I really don't. Lol. I kicked that habbit a long time ago. My post was more...Let me hear you guys out, with your opinions on my next purchase.

Though I got hooked on apps, like Nikon spot on and using a rangefinder. I have no experience long range shooting I'm going to say beyond 300 yards. We all know that's an honest answer. Lol. How many people do we hear "muh 500 yards...Muh, It was 700 yards at least"!

You all have giving me great advice and I am rethinking this. I was wanting a 50 BMG or 338 Lapua for the cool factor. I have no issues playing with a 308. Reloading a 30 cal would be fun again. I used to reload for 308, 223, and 300 rum. You know what...I still have some hard to find 30 cal bullets that need to be loaded up. Hm...

.338LM?

No brainer - the Desert Tech bullpup floats MY boat.

Factory ammunition here in UK - $500/C.

Places to shoot accessible to civilians - four.

Not even the National Rifle Association Ranges at Bisley are cleared to shoot this calibre.

tac

lol I wasnt saying you flinch, but go shoot say 200 rds of 300gr 338l in a afternoon , as your shoulders gets beat up, im guessing you will start to get a flinch before you get 200 of them shot versus a lighter recoiling round like suggested you wouldnt
Sorry but...I'll be ok. Lol.

Oh boy - over a thousand dollars' worth of ammunition in an afternoon. You guys are seriously loaded.

tac, greatly jealous and green with deepest env.
Not loaded. Just have my nest egg. I'm not afraid to buy guns when I feel like it anymore. Life is short. I'm living it the fun way.

243,260,7mm-8, 308 all the same case , all proven long range capable, but of those the 308 has the shortest range before subsonic, pretty well maxed at 1000 to 1100 yards. if you dont plan to shoot any farther then it will do the job just fine. the 7mm-8 with high bc bullets is mathematically the best of the bunch.

edit i did some playing with my ballistic ap, 7mm-8 162g eldx at 2800fps subsonic at 1550 yards or so 6mm 110smk at 3150 about the same.

Last Edited:
If you want a .338 LM, can afford to feed it, rebarrel it semi frequently, etc, I say get it. The .308 is an 800 yd rifle IMO. If you never plan on shooting past that, get a .308. Or dont. Your $$$

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top