JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apparently there was two deaths in Utah last week while someone was SPOTTING shots while long range shooting. What is the flight time for say, a 300wm at 1000 yards? Enough for someone not to be there when you shoot and walk in the way?
I'm not getting why you would have someone anywhere near the targets,unless it's like at the Palma matches where they are behind a earthen berm.
So Long Range Shooters of Utah posted this video. I got heated and wanted to say bad things in a response so I moved on.
Just thought I would share this and maybe someone will rethink how they "spot" for others

'Be sure of your backstop.'

tac
Seems the back stop was OK but not the line of flight
Is this common to have some shmuck down range walking in front of the target when his buddies are out of shouting range? Sure you can have radios but you can't tell if the others heard you

Seems the back stop was OK but not the line of flight
Is this common to have some shmuck down range walking in front of the target when his buddies are out of shouting range? Sure you can have radios but you can't tell if the others heard you

I'd like to see how that works out. The LOF is usually above the ground, unless Utah has different laws of physics.

tac

Sounds like the spotter got in front of the target due to bad signals or cellphone or something. Pretty stupid to use a living spotter, they were asking for a major problem. Murphy's Law and firearms do not mesh well.

Don't mean to be rude, but, you are not a bullet spotter in this situation, you are a bullet catcher, same as if you are down range of a javelin thrower, you are now a javelin catcher. Totally unacceptable actions at any firearms involved activity unless the range is designed and operated to function in this manner. We have to think people. Man shoots his own son and the other guy kills his friend, I can't imagine what that must be like !!!

Looked like an older fella... too bad, he was so close to the rat-race finish line... The Process of Natural Selection got him mere inches from the checkered flag.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to further articulate my SPECIFIC opinion of these peoples' judgment & actions. :rolleyes:

Yeah there's never an "accident" shooting like this. It's just poor use of basic safety rules.

Deaths like this are the result of people becoming complacent and comfortable with firearms.
That will get you killed everytime.

So sad that younger guy left behind a wife and two young kids.
Sounds like it may have been his father who shot him? Just guessing.

Looked like an older fella... too bad, he was so close to the rat-race finish line... The Process of Natural Selection got him mere inches from the checkered flag.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to further articulate my SPECIFIC opinion of these peoples' judgment & actions. :rolleyes:
Yeah I kinda just kept it to my self
A $200-300 camera or phone would have prevented this.Or spotting scope or telescope

In a building I used to work in there was this stain all over the walls in the main electrical room.
Just a black splatter covering the wall.

It wasn't until 7 years after that building was open I had an electrician there helping me and he told me that was from the guy who was installing the system, he was working on the main line coming to the building and some miscommunication happened someone had turned the power on and he was working on it.
That stain was from all the flesh that blew off his arms. :eek:

I guess he lived but had 10+ surgeries to try to repair his arms.

I was running a Hitachi 700 excavator,putting in 72"concrete pipe at night.The city of Seatac had hired an inspector as their guys were busy on other stuff. If you had asked the inspector,he had built every hiway in Alaska...himself
So I'm most interested in the guys in the 20' ditch below me and everyone else needs to watch out for me.I had noticed the inspector standing on the right side(blind side) of my hoe.
Figured I'd tell him later that was a bad spot but I was lowering 2400lbs of concrete in the hole with folks below me
Long story short,I got some pea gravel from behind me and swung around to every eye as big as saucers. The inspector was about 6'2 and was standing on 2" of dirt. My counter weight was about 5'8" off the ground
His hard hat took some dirt off the cat walk as he duct under the thing going around as fast as I could swing it
The '700' designation is for 7 metric tons. And the ditch was about 20'
He left right after that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews