Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Long Range set up? any ideas

Discussion in 'Rifles Wanted' started by toddcox35, Feb 19, 2013.

1. toddcox35

toddcox35 Bend, OR New Member

looking for a Weatherby Mark V 300 Weatherby Mag ro something similar for a long range hunting. something that will shoot consistant at 600+ yards... i would also like some feedback on long range scopes... thanks, Todd

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your going to want a lot heavier barrel then most Weatherbys come with for long range. And its going to have to do it from a cold bore. Since unless your hunting sage rats you wouldn't be taking a shot until your actually shooting at the game animal.

you most likely better off with one of the long range Remingtons or Savages. Then a Weatherby.

IMHO

3. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

If you are staying 600-700yds I would suggest you practice with a 308 and get proficient. Better barrel life, less cost, flinching, etc... I am suggesting practice, because if you could consistently hit at 600yds you probably wouldn't be asking this question. Leupold are nice.

dakaham and (deleted member) like this.
  4. dakaham

dakaham Albany, Oregon, United States Active Member

+1. Shooting long range always sounds easy until you try it. There are just so many factors to consider. You will definitely be much better looking at offerings from Remington and savage. The availability of after market support is much better for both than what's out there for weatherby. Good luck on the search!

5. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

with a good scope the weatherby is an excellent gun. An incredibly strong action, 300 weatherby is a bit expensive, you may want to reload for it.

6. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

One thing to know about your choice. Great for hunting but a box of ammo is about $100 and that is expensive to practice. Something to think about.

Second thing, posted in wrong section. Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

7. toddcox35

toddcox35 Bend, OR New Member

I'm new to the site and i really appreciate your input and one more question is reloading very cost effective?

8. x503Codyx

x503Codyx Portland Member

If no one has answered the last question for you yet, yes it is. You put a lot of money into it initially, but you definitely save in the end. Plus, you can work custom loads and figure out what works best for you.