JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have newly acquired a rem 7mm mag and need some good glass for under 1k. I plan to hunt/target shoot out to 1000 m give or take.

I currently have a Bushy 4200 elite 6x24, but I'm concerned I will not have enough elev adjustment. The specs say 50 moa total elevation.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for obvious question to the OP: why not get a 20 MOA base for like, 1/10th the cost to solve the elevation question if you don't already have one? A 20 MOA base should be more than enough for the range requested given the ballistics of a 7mm Rem mag.

The Bushnell Elites are already solid.

I'd add the Burris XTR series to the list mentioned above of: Leupold, Vortex PST and SWFA SS in case there is a $1000 scope itch to scratch.

Sorry for obvious question to the OP: why not get a 20 MOA base for like, 1/10th the cost to solve the elevation question if you don't already have one? A 20 MOA base should be more than enough for the range requested given the ballistics of a 7mm Rem mag.

The Bushnell Elites are already solid.

I'd add the Burris XTR series to the list mentioned above of: Leupold, Vortex PST and SWFA SS in case there is a $1000 scope itch to scratch.
Geo- I ordered a 20 MOA seeking base with the intent to mount my Bushy. I received the scope because Bushnell was unable to fix my original scope. 2.5 x 10 4200. So I am unsure if I would be better off selling this scope and buying something else or mounting it and saving up my money.

Sightron SIII. You can get 8-32x and even 10-50x new for under a grand at Big Supply Shop. These are easily the best bang for the buck scopes.

Or find a used Nightforce BR for a grand. Nightforce is one of the standards all other target scopes are compared against.

The Bushnell Elites aren't slouches at their price point in terms of glass. A benefit of purchasing a new optic is matching turrets to reticles, if that's important to you.

Mechanically, the 20 MOA base should cover the range asked for.

If you need more elevation, the Burris Signature rings can squeeze out a few more MOA before resorting to a > 20 MOA base.

But if there is a $1000 itch to be scratched...there's only one way to do it.

Hard to beat Nightforce for close to a grand ( a little over) from 70 min on the elevation side to close to 200 for there top o the line mods. Extra tough and can handle any thing you mount them on. For a awesome "cheep" scope, its pretty hard to go wrong with Millett! Not many know about them, worth a look. I have two of them on hard hitting vermin wackin rigs and they have worked with out fault since day one. I would go Leupold/Redfield or Nikon monarch for a good "hunting grade" scope that will allow you to reach out. For a bit more, its hard to beat a Zeiss Conquest scope, but your pushing up on that grand limit! Assuming you want something sort of "tactical" I would look at the Leupold MK-4 series, they are the only scopes from them that have the range of elevation you are looking for.

All-
Thank you for all of the input. Each of you has a valid point. Durability and repeatability is paramount. I'm building this gun to be my "do everything" gun. I should get my base and rings today or tomorrow. (Seekins) I am going with the Bushy for now. I figure I can find my "pet" load and once I have had some trigger time:s0015: I will be able to make a better informed decision on what I need vs want. I'll post a pic when I get her mounted.

Thanks for helping - Cheers

A Konus M30 4.5-16x40 with mil-dot reticle (http://konuspro.com/)is what is on my Savage 10FP in .308. It is a really well made scope, and my Savage can shoot 1/4 moa out to 600 yards. I have put it through all kinds of accuracy and repeatability tests and it consistently comes back to zero. Their customer service is great too. I found that that my range finding at the designated mag power (it's not first focal plane) was off. I wrote them about it, and sent it back. They replaced it with a current year model (mine was 4 years old) and it has not failed me in as many years since. Yes, it's not any of the well known scopes, and may lack some features that are really nice, but it is well made, durable, and performs. The fact that my Savage with this scope can shoot better than me, I think shows it is more capable than I can demonstrate.
I paid $400 for it around 2007. It worth some research at least.

My friend had one on his .338LM and it really performed as well.

I would definitely also recommend Vortex too, but their high-end scopes are out of my price range.

Last Edited:
Vortex Viper HS-T with a 20MOA base.
(4-16 or 6-24)
30MOA in reticle at 16/24x

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show