JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to buy a good long range rifle. Thinking bolt action. 1000 yards. Want to buy once. Make Model Caliber. Also would appreciate scope recommendations. Any good long range spots anyone of you know around. Im out of vancouver wa but dont mind commuting for it. Many years back we had a nice 500 yard setup in Hockinson hills but all our steel got taken down. Any and all recommendations welcome. Thank you.

I'm a savage guy. They have a number of rifles set up for long range. Look at the 12fv at the bottom and maybe the 12bvss for mid range.

Caliber? 260rem or 6.5cm or 6cm. 300 win mag as well but that kicks a lot. If you want to handload there are more options.

Scope? I have a Burris XTR f class. Nightforce is great. Leupold is excellent. Sightron is good on the lower end.

There's lots of different sorts of long range shooting. If you want to hit steel it's different than shooting for groups.

Good luck and have fun.

If you're interested in long range targets at 600yd. LMK and you can come out with me some Tuesday night at TCGC in Sherwood, OR

Budget is a big consideration of course.

If you're on the high end budget-wise, GA Precision and Stuteville Precision rifles are some of the very best money can buy. Also take a look at Proof Research, H-S Precision and Red Rock Precision - all highly regarded companies offering high-quality long range rifle platforms. And if money is no object, Gunwerks offers superb long-range rifle packages in the 10K range. :eek:

You can also have a good local gunsmith build you a rifle on a Rem 700 action for significantly less money. This is more the direction No_Regerts is suggesting. He's pretty much hit every nail on the head with his recommendation. I agree .308 is a great caliber, but you might also consider 6.5 Creedmoor if recoil is any consideration. The 6.5CM has superb ballistics out to 1000 yards and significantly less recoil.

A top end scope for long range rifle shooting would be a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1, a Kahles 525i or a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56. You could also splurge for the NightForce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 if you want even more magnification. The chosen reticle opens up a whole new avenue for discussion. There are many other choices out there that are very good for less money - the Burris XTR f class being one. As always, budget is everything!

If I remember correctly, there's good information on the Panhandle Precision website. In fact, any search on long range rifle shooting should yield a ton of information. The problem of course will be wading through all of it. In any event, I would recommend you take your time and enjoy the journey. It will be worth the effort. :)

Can't be of any real help as to locations for shooting out to 1000 yards in Washington, but if you're willing to travel, there's probably numerous choices east of the Cascades.

Tikka T3x CTR .308 Win Rifle JRTXC316

IMG_4237.JPG

Comes in stainless as well.

Description
This Tikka T3x CTR is chambered in .308 Win. and has a 20.0 inch barrel. The CTR stands for compact tactical rifle and it features a black synthetic stock, matte black barrel, 10 round magazine and integrated picatinny rail across the top of the action.

The Tikka T3x is the next generation of the renowned T3 rifle. These new T3x rifles are built to the same standards that so many have come to rely on from the original T3, and continue to boast a hammer forged barrel, sturdy stocks, and smooth bolt actions. They still offer a 3-shot sub-MOA accuracy guarantee right out of the box, and will continue to represent the great value of the Tikka rifle line. Some new features that set the T3x apart from its older brother include the following:

• Modular synthetic stock allows the pistol grip to be changed out for a more personalized and comfortable fit
  • Improved asymmetrical grip pattern and shape that will better accommodate grip in any condition
  • Upgraded recoil pad to mitigate felt recoil
  • Foam insert to lessen noise that is produced from the stock (not available in models with adjustable cheek piece)
  • Redesigned ejection port that creates easier single feeding through the ejection port
  • Improved rail attachment via an extra screw placement on top of the receiver for sturdier rail placement
  • A robust metallic bolt shroud to cover and shield the rear of the bolt body and firing pin
  • Steel recoil lug to decrease deformation even in larger calibers compared the aluminum ones in use in T3 rifles
Tikka has always been considered one of the best options when considering a rifle, and the T3x continues and enhances this legacy.

Specifications
Caliber: .308 Win.
Weight: 7.5 lbs
Rifle Overall Length: 40.1"
Action: bolt
Trigger: standard trigger
Safety: 5/8x24
Rifle Barrel Length: 20"
Rifle Barrel Twist: 1:11"
Barrel Thread Pitch 5/8x24
Rifle Stock: modular synthetic stock
Iron Sights No
Caliber or Gauge: .308 Win
Handedness Right Hand
Item Condition New
Product Type Rifles
UPC 082442858883
MPN JRTXC316

Straight out of the box, nothing but a scope added.

Had 2 of these that were hitting an 8" target repeatedly with a 3 shot dial in at 1000 yards. 175gr handloads but the match kings do well if you don't reload.

Ask @Stomper about his leupold scope model.

Buy once, cry once I believe you said.

East Oregon/WA has a lot of available spots to choose from.

This rifle will do 1000 yards and make it seem easy.

We are currently looking for a place to stretch it out to 1200, 1400 and 1600.

I was looking at maybe a 6.5 creed but the .308 performs so well I don't see a need to change it.

View attachment 596025

Description
This Tikka T3x CTR is chambered in .308 Win. and has a 20.0 inch barrel. The CTR stands for compact tactical rifle and it features a black synthetic stock, matte black barrel, 10 round magazine and integrated picatinny rail across the top of the action.

The Tikka T3x is the next generation of the renowned T3 rifle. These new T3x rifles are built to the same standards that so many have come to rely on from the original T3, and continue to boast a hammer forged barrel, sturdy stocks, and smooth bolt actions. They still offer a 3-shot sub-MOA accuracy guarantee right out of the box, and will continue to represent the great value of the Tikka rifle line. Some new features that set the T3x apart from its older brother include the following:

• Modular synthetic stock allows the pistol grip to be changed out for a more personalized and comfortable fit
  • Improved asymmetrical grip pattern and shape that will better accommodate grip in any condition
  • Foam insert to lessen noise that is produced from the stock (not available in models with adjustable cheek piece)
  • Redesigned ejection port that creates easier single feeding through the ejection port
  • Improved rail attachment via an extra screw placement on top of the receiver for sturdier rail placement
  • A robust metallic bolt shroud to cover and shield the rear of the bolt body and firing pin
  • Steel recoil lug to decrease deformation even in larger calibers compared the aluminum ones in use in T3 rifles
Tikka has always been considered one of the best options when considering a rifle, and the T3x continues and enhances this legacy.

Specifications
Iron Sights No
Handedness Right Hand
Item Condition New
Product Type Rifles
UPC 082442858883
MPN JRTXC316

Had 2 of these that were hitting an 8" target repeatedly with a 3 shot dial in at 1000 yards. 175gr handloads but the match kings do well if you don't reload.

I was looking at maybe a 6.5 creed but the .308 performs so well I don't see a need to change it.
Personally, I've never tried a Tikka T3, but I can tell you, after all the research I've done, if you're looking for a highly accurate, high-quality factory rifle right out of the box, the Tikka has got to be on your list. They have an excellent reputation for making high quality rifles. I've also read very good things about Savage rifles of course and - more recently - Bergara rifles.

Honestly, barrels and factory ammo have come so far that you can buy essentially any make or model in a capable caliber and get to 1000 yards with fairly little effort.

A Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Primary Arms scope can be an easy budget 1000 yard gun under $1000.

On the other end of the price spectrum you can buy a very nice Tikka or Remington or many other manufacturers in the 600-1000 range and get a nice Leupold or Vortex and be around 1500-2000 total.

There are more extreme examples like the Q Fix which is an amazing little rifle package in the 2-3 thousand range. As well as semi autos in 308 or 6.5. Ruger has new offerings of their 77 line in ready to shoot set ups as well. They also have their Precision rifle set ups that are well reviewed. Most manufacturers have copied Ruger and are now selling their rifles in chassis systems like the RPR.

Best of luck finding the rifle that fits you best and happy shooting!

View attachment 596025

Description

Specifications
Iron Sights No
Handedness Right Hand
Item Condition New
Product Type Rifles
UPC 082442858883
MPN JRTXC316

This post is spot on!! Wouldn't change my rifle for anything. The only difference is I'm running a vortex scope. If I had to do it all over again (and I may) go with a Leupold or Night Force.

View attachment 596025

Description

Specifications
Iron Sights No
Handedness Right Hand
Item Condition New
Product Type Rifles
UPC 082442858883
MPN JRTXC316

This post is spot on!! Wouldn't change my rifle for anything. The only difference is I'm running a vortex scope. If I had to do it all over again (and I may) go with a Leupold or Night Force.

I have the same rifle as @11Charlie except I have a Leupold VXi-3LRP scope.. and we (along with @Joe13) were hitting this rock and the area within 8-12" all around it (which is still a body hit) with both of them... from 1000yds.
ECF8B55E-7957-4C7D-BCAB-1D74166CE52D.jpeg
4E72AFC4-785A-4EB9-B381-9D2D976F644C.jpeg

The view from standing over the rock looking at where we were firing from...
C81A784B-1F0C-4845-B9CC-6D388730E60B.jpeg

Zoomed in so you can see the slot through the trees we shot through...
55BED392-7DDB-4972-A2D8-5C0D4352D8ED.jpeg

We're also more than confident that we can stretch it out further than 1000yds with more load development, and we plan to do just that in the near future.

My .308 Tikka does this, too...
0E7CDEC0-6C86-4507-895E-ECFCC6AB1BF9.jpeg

So yeah sure.... go ahead forget about .308, it's cool. ;) View attachment 596113

Last Edited:
Rifle: I would go with a Bergara HMR or TikkaT3X. Savage rifles would also make my list. I have admired them for the last few years but haven't purchased any.

Caliber: Probably join the rest of the flock and choose a 6.5 creedmoor. That choice would be based on recoil, barrel life and high quality ammo options if you don't feel like reloading. I also recently read the Gov was playing around with beltfed light machineguns in 6.5cr so some dirty surplus stuff will show up someday. The reason I didn't choose 6cr would be barrel life. Nothing wrong with .308 but I would be pushing you towards a 24" barrel, that cartridge needs all the help it can get.

Optics: SWFA scopes have never failed me. On the other end my Gen2 Razor is pretty tasty. In the middle I recently purchased a refurbished Bushnell DMRII PRO for $900 off of retail price. Of course for the last one you have to have the luxury of time on your side.

Base and Rings: Go BIG in this department. I love Seekins/Vortex rings and have zero fear of them failing. I am very pleased with my Leupold M4 Base but would also consider a Seekins or Area419 that have the built in recoil lug. This will ruffle some feathers but I would avoid EGW like the plague. The one and only that I purchased had the cheapest fasteners money could buy. I use a torque screwdriver and quality bits and the butter soft heads still wanted to deform. Maybe I got a bad one.

@vadgru

Remington 700 PCR
Bergara HMR
Savage Model 10
Sabatti STR
Barrett 98

You have LOTS of options. It depends on what you want to spend. Don't forget that putting a $300 scope on a $1000+ rifle doesn't help either. Caliber is obviously based on opinions and egos here. I started with a .308 and found the 6.5CM to be the same cost, lighter recoil and much flatter shooting (ballistics don't lie). But if you really want to reach out and touch someone, you'll need to go big bore such as .300 WinMag or .338 Lapua. Again, there are an almost infinite number of rifle/scope/caliber options based mostly on what you want to spend. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top