JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There was a member here that was(still is?) selling a Rem 700 Police .338 Lapua for a smokin price a few weeks back. Check the search function.

Granted the ppr ain't exactly cheap for that cartridge, which encourages reloading -- a given if one is serious about getting into LRS.

Ask yourself what will happen when you get bored consistently pinging an IPSC silhouette at 1K...

EDIT: Found the ad. Seller dropped price to 1k, but also stated that he was "pulling the rifle June 29th". That is(was?) a sweet deal for that rifle!!! WTS WA - Remington 700 338 Lapua police

Last Edited:
Thank you guys for all the advice. Sounds like I need to go out and handle a Tikka. $1000 is about what I was looking to spend on the rifle itself.

that Rem 700 Lapua seems nice but Im a lefty.

I cant help but think you guys make 1000 yards sound easy and Ill be wanting more.... what you guys think about going straight for 300 win mag? although I cant stop hearing enough good things about 6.5 cree everywhere I read.

Thank you guys for all the advice. Sounds like I need to go out and handle a Tikka. $1000 is about what I was looking to spend on the rifle itself.

that Rem 700 Lapua seems nice but Im a lefty.

I cant help but think you guys make 1000 yards sound easy and Ill be wanting more.... what you guys think about going straight for 300 win mag? although I cant stop hearing enough good things about 6.5 cree everywhere I read.

.300 Win Mag will definitely get you there but recoil will be, eh, noticeable. :)
6.5CM is flat shooting and easy on the limbs. It will get you to a grand and beyond.

I'm a lefty as well and only shoot right handed guns. Grew up on them and don't really know what I would do with the bolt on the "wrong" side. :D

50BMG!!!!!

$3000 for a bolt action.
$2000 for a scope.
$3 a shot.

Shoot anything you can actually see in line of sight.

Ignore everyone else:D:p;)

It has to semi meet WAF. (wife acceptance factor) :)
We have a 2 month old little baby at home. Maybe if they make the 50 cal in pink I can play it off as a push gift?? Or tell her itll come handy when shes a teen.

.300 Win Mag will definitely get you there but recoil will be, eh, noticeable. :)
6.5CM is flat shooting and easy on the limbs. It will get you to a grand and beyond.

I'm a lefty as well and only shoot right handed guns. Grew up on them and don't really know what I would do with the bolt on the "wrong" side. :D

My first rifle when I was 18 was a Mosin Nagant m91/30. Still love to play around with it and I shoot it no problems but figuring spending the money might as well get the lefty.

My first rifle when I was 18 was a Mosin Nagant m91/30. Still love to play around with it and I shoot it no problems but figuring spending the money might as well get the lefty.

Get your lefty and then we can meet at Clark Rifles and compare. I'm a member there. :)

All the talk got me thinking maybe I can live with wrong side and a 338 Lapua.. but the recoil is close to double between 300 wm and 338 Lapua... hmmm talk about saving limbs.

what ranges does Clark Rifles have. Always drove past never stopped by to see what goes on inside.

All the talk got me thinking maybe I can live with wrong side and a 338 Lapua.. but the recoil is close to double between 300 wm and 338 Lapua... hmmm talk about saving limbs.

what ranges does Clark Rifles have. Always drove past never stopped by to see what goes on inside.

300 yards for rifle is max. And I'll shoot any caliber you bring. You can try my 6.5CM. :)

I just recently got a left handed Savage in 300 win mag. I found the recoil to be stout but no where near my Browning 338 win Mag. I haven't tried to stretch its legs out but my first two middle of the road seated to factory specs loads yielded groups in the 1" at 100 yds range. I'm sure with a little work I can tighten the group up quite a bit. .280 Remington and 7mm Mag are 2 other 1000 yd cartridges worth looking at.

"Trigger warnin" LOL
Unless you really plan on killing something at LR I would choose a 7mm Rem over the 300win. Less recoil and better B.C. just sayin. Look at the Christenson Arms Mesa long range. The one I spent time around was well under MOA and had modest recoil compliments of the factory brake.

Last Edited:
I'm a savage guy. They have a number of rifles set up for long range. Look at the 12fv at the bottom and maybe the 12bvss for mid range.

Caliber? 260rem or 6.5cm or 6cm. 300 win mag as well but that kicks a lot. If you want to handload there are more options.

Scope? I have a Burris XTR f class. Nightforce is great. Leupold is excellent. Sightron is good on the lower end.

There's lots of different sorts of long range shooting. If you want to hit steel it's different than shooting for groups.

Good luck and have fun.

If you're interested in long range targets at 600yd. LMK and you can come out with me some Tuesday night at TCGC in Sherwood, OR

I ran Savage actions for quite a while.
With a nice 260 pre fit I often shot steel successfully out to 1700 yards.

It's an affordable in to long rang shooting.

Tikka's are another great option.

Some of the local national forests near Vancouver have spots at or past 1000 yards if you do some studying and exploring.

I have the same rifle as @11Charlie except I have a Leupold VXi-3LRP scope.. and we (along with @Joe13) were hitting this rock and the area within 8-12" all around it (which is still a body hit) with both of them...
View attachment 596126
View attachment 596127

From this 1000yd distance... firing from the red spot at the above rock marked in blue that I'm standing over taking this screen shot.
View attachment 596117

The view from standing over the rock looking at where we were firing from...
View attachment 596119

Zoomed in so you can see the slot through the trees we shot through...
View attachment 596118

We're also more than confident that we can stretch it out further than 1000yds with more load development, and we plan to do just that in the near future.

My .308 Tikka does this, too...
View attachment 596123

So yeah sure.... go ahead forget about .308, it's cool. ;) View attachment 596113 View attachment 596120

You may want to check local laws before shooting over that road if that's public land.

I'd buy a Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec in 308, glass bed it, add a bipod, -20 MOA base, an SWFA Super Sniper scope, butt bag, and some 175gr Federal Match if tou don't reload.

Tikka T3x CTR .308 Win Rifle JRTXC316

View attachment 596025

Comes in stainless as well.

Description
This Tikka T3x CTR is chambered in .308 Win. and has a 20.0 inch barrel. The CTR stands for compact tactical rifle and it features a black synthetic stock, matte black barrel, 10 round magazine and integrated picatinny rail across the top of the action.

The Tikka T3x is the next generation of the renowned T3 rifle. These new T3x rifles are built to the same standards that so many have come to rely on from the original T3, and continue to boast a hammer forged barrel, sturdy stocks, and smooth bolt actions. They still offer a 3-shot sub-MOA accuracy guarantee right out of the box, and will continue to represent the great value of the Tikka rifle line. Some new features that set the T3x apart from its older brother include the following:

• Modular synthetic stock allows the pistol grip to be changed out for a more personalized and comfortable fit
  • Improved asymmetrical grip pattern and shape that will better accommodate grip in any condition
  • Upgraded recoil pad to mitigate felt recoil
  • Foam insert to lessen noise that is produced from the stock (not available in models with adjustable cheek piece)
  • Redesigned ejection port that creates easier single feeding through the ejection port
  • Improved rail attachment via an extra screw placement on top of the receiver for sturdier rail placement
  • A robust metallic bolt shroud to cover and shield the rear of the bolt body and firing pin
  • Steel recoil lug to decrease deformation even in larger calibers compared the aluminum ones in use in T3 rifles
Tikka has always been considered one of the best options when considering a rifle, and the T3x continues and enhances this legacy.

Specifications
Caliber: .308 Win.
Weight: 7.5 lbs
Rifle Overall Length: 40.1"
Action: bolt
Trigger: standard trigger
Safety: 5/8x24
Rifle Barrel Length: 20"
Rifle Barrel Twist: 1:11"
Barrel Thread Pitch 5/8x24
Rifle Stock: modular synthetic stock
Iron Sights No
Caliber or Gauge: .308 Win
Handedness Right Hand
Item Condition New
Product Type Rifles
UPC 082442858883
MPN JRTXC316

Straight out of the box, nothing but a scope added.

Had 2 of these that were hitting an 8" target repeatedly with a 3 shot dial in at 1000 yards. 175gr handloads but the match kings do well if you don't reload.

Ask @Stomper about his leupold scope model.

Buy once, cry once I believe you said.

East Oregon/WA has a lot of available spots to choose from.

This rifle will do 1000 yards and make it seem easy.

We are currently looking for a place to stretch it out to 1200, 1400 and 1600.

I was looking at maybe a 6.5 creed but the .308 performs so well I don't see a need to change it.

Those Tikka CTR's are beautiful rifles. I happen to know where one is right now for $699.99. You won't find a better deal on a stainless CTR anywhere. I don't think.. Had it been 6.5 creedmoor, I would have ended up buying 3 creeds over the last 2 weeks... Having shot both the 308 and creedmoor in high winds at 450 yards, I will say the creedmoor is better... Those sleek pills are not affected nearly as much as the .308 cal bullets... Someone better buy that stainless CTR I speak of, or I may just have to buy it and hang on to it for a while.. I dang near bought it for the extra magazine for my 6.5 creedmoor....;)

Tikka CTR in 6.5CM or a Rem 700 in the same caliber. Forget .308.

Pretty much spot on buddy... Except I will add it solely depends on what kind of budget the OP has. Want cheap? I have cheap that will walk all over much of the competition... :
RpgJIlg.jpg

This Savage package can do it and it's scary accurate...
6rgZE0B.jpg

Hitting 4" steel plates at 450 yards is childs play with this Savage 12FV 6.5 creedmoor... I'm not going to list a price here, because it's not the classifieds, but if the OP wants to pm me, I'm all ears... Happy 4th guys!!!!

Last Edited:
Those Tikka CTR's are beautiful rifles. I happen to know where one is right now for $699.99. You won't find a better deal on a stainless CTR anywhere. I don't think.. Had it been 6.5 creedmoor, I would have ended up buying 3 creeds over the last 2 weeks... Having shot both the 308 and creedmoor in high winds at 450 yards, I will say the creedmoor is better... Those sleek pills are not affected nearly as much as the .308 cal bullets... Someone better buy that stainless CTR I speak of, or I may just have to buy it and hang on to it for a while.. I dang near bought it for the extra magazine for my 6.5 creedmoor....;)
Im your huckleberry. PM sent.

Pretty much spot on buddy... Except I will add it solely depends on what kind of budget the OP has. Want cheap? I have cheap that will walk all over much of the competition... :
View attachment 597140

This Savage package can do it and it's scary accurate...
View attachment 597141

Hitting 4" steel plates at 450 yards is childs play with this Savage 12FV 6.5 creedmoor... I'm not going to list a price here, because it's not the classifieds, but if the OP wants to pm me, I'm all ears... Happy 4th guys!!!!

If it didn't make me a creedtard, Id agree.

Have to say Savage is the rifle to beat. Work up a good load and you should be sub moa all day long and for less than any other. If that 12fv doesn't eventuate go to cabelas and they're on sale a lot. On Black Friday I got one so cheap it'll make you cry.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top