JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@flashpan, with the dietary difference between the species, which tastes better, Rocky Mountain or Roosevelt Elk?

I'd say this Roosevelt is better by far. But this was a young cow and these Elk eat are eating the same pasture grass as the beef and dairy cows. The meat is lighter in color, no gamey smell. Maybe not a fair comparison.
Thanks for changing the subject;)

They both eat equally as well in my opinion. A young cow will always be good eats no matter what subspecies. On the flip side a big ol' bull with cow's on his mind and not eating much will be sausage worthy no matter which type. Of course there are always individual examples that do not align with my statements and therefore ymmv. :cool:

Never eaten what I would call bad elk. Although, I did get given a bunch of venison that the gifter was all too happy to give away, so I took maybe 20 pounds.

It had been eating little other than acorns.

Back in the 80's my family all shot 7&30 cal magnums for Elk in Colorado...some were Weatherbys. LR wasn't a thing then, we just wanted to put Elk down. So I started drinking the cool aid, working up screaming loads for the 300 Weatherby with long slippery bullets. Sighted in for 300yrds and ready to go 800 or? Started shooting with the 600yd boys at TCGC. Then after a week of hunting, I got my chance last Monday and dropped a nice cow. Shot her in the neck at 90 yards. So much for Long Range. :)
I do the TCGC 600 yard also and semi-regularly out to 1400 yards on steel. My furthest hunting kill is 35 yards. I like to get CLOSE, makes things exciting.

I've killed 2 what I would consider 'big' bulls. Both older, worn teeth, nice racks (one is less than 20 pts from B&C), the racks were the best part of them. Just packing one out leaves your cloths super stinky, the meat sinks, even my freezer was stinky and I'm pretty anal about cleanliness and aging. I burgered almost all of those guys and made a lot of German sausage. Oddly though smelly it didn't taste bad. I'm not a trophy hunter, I'll pretty much shoot the 1st legal bull I see. The last few years I've actually passed on branched herd bulls in favor of spikes, though a smaller rag horn is o.k. Cows IMO don't have the issue big bulls have with gaminess but if I'm lucky enough to score a cow tag I always go for a yearling, less chance of getting an unborn that way too which I've seen plenty of.

I'm a bit like Orygun.
400-500 yards is a l-o-n-g shot for me.
I'd be more apt not to take that long of a shot and try to work myself closer.
However, whenever I think of "long range shooting", my mind always goes back to that guy who downed that giant Caribou with a 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum.
One 400 yard shot.
One of the biggest racks I've ever seen....and you'd think I'd be able to find that picture. Nope. Where ever I saw it, I have yet to re-locate it.

Dean

...and then there's this kid....

FACEPALM_3.jpg

Last Edited:
yep thats WAYYY too far for me. good for him though! at that distance, i would try to atleast cut the distance by 65-70% theres no way that elk knew that kid was there from that far away. he easily coulda atleast split it in half if the terrain allowed.not knockin him for the shot. to each his own:)

...and on top of that, did you notice how the elk reacted to being shot?
That gun looks like its just this side of a 16" Naval gun, but the elk reacted like it was just bitten by a flea.
Makes for a cool video, but I'm not sure how good I feel about how long it took the elk to react to being shot.

Dean

I have not tried handholds yet. Does it really help that much? Not sure I could talk any of my hunting buddies into it lol. :s0125:
in my opinion, when i develop a load for a rifle, i cannot find any factory ammunition that will perform the same. so in my opinion, yes. it makes a difference. also, theres the satisfaction of using something you made to harvest an animal. this year i used a 6.5 grendel AR that i put together on my work bench starting with a stripped upper and lower and ammo i made myself.

...and on top of that, did you notice how the elk reacted to being shot?
That gun looks like its just this side of a 16" Naval gun, but the elk reacted like it was just bitten by a flea.
Makes for a cool video, but I'm not sure how good I feel about how long it took the elk to react to being shot.

Dean
i would be afraid of losing it. 7mm mag is a wicked caliber. especially with handloads

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top