JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody have a recommendation? I'm looking to sign up for something in 2019 in Oregon or perhaps southern Washington. Something oriented to beginners. Not necessarily based around hunting but more about target shooting. 500 yard+. I have the rifle to do it I just need the training. I'm willing to pay more for more personalized instruction if needs be. Class setting is good.

I was just tagged to co-instruct the Washington State Tactical Officers Assoc. (WSTOA) sniper classes, and will be putting on scoped and precision rifle classes next year.

My range will be 200 yards, but the principles are the same for long range. Some folks don't understand with starting out at shorter distances, but the fundamentals are imperative at any distance.

Not sure who else puts on such classes, but am sure others will chime in with local options.

Last Edited:
I was just tagged to co-instruct the Washington State Tactical Officers Assoc. (WSTOA) sniper classes, and will be putting on scoped and precision rifle classes next year.

My range will be 200 yards, but the principles are the same for long range. Some folks don't understand with starting out with shorter distances, but the fundamentals are imperative at any distance.

Not sure who else puts on such classes, but am sure others will chime in with local options.
Very nice. Is that a course available to anyone? What experience level is required? I have none so far. If it is available, where would I look to sign up?

The class will be offered next year, and sign up will be thru my website. I post up coming classes throughout the year on here. So keep checking back here and on the website for updates of classes.

i hope to have a 2019 year long schedule up by the first of the month.

Last Edited:
The class will offered next year, and sign up will be thru my website. I post up coming classes throughout the year on here. So keep checking back here and on the website for updates of classes.

i hope to have a 2019 year long schedule up by the first of the month.
Out of curiosity, where do these classes generally take place?

My range will be 200 yards, but the principles are the same for long range. Some folks don't understand with starting out at shorter distances, but the fundamentals are imperative at any distance.

Thats cool. You are absolutely correct. If you arent shooting good (sub moa 10 shot groups) at 100 and 200 yards, you really need to work on fundamentals. Shooting at 200 yards will let you know real quick, if your technique needs refined. Good on you for offering such classes.

I would have no problem working at 200 yards. I've been able to hold roughly MOA groups at 100 yards with an AR platform but I also know that doesn't mean anything necessarily past that.

I would have no problem working at 200 yards. I've been able to hold roughly MOA groups at 100 yards with an AR platform but I also know that doesn't mean anything necessarily past that.
Its all about consistency. Show me multiple sub moa 10 shot groups at 100 yards and ill just about guarantee you are going to do well at 600+ yards. As long as your equipment is capable.

Agree. Develop your foundation of fundamentals in the more controlled setting at shorter ranges.

But this doesn't in any way substitute for firing at known and ultimately unknown long distances. On top of shooting fundamentals, we need solid sight settings for the various ranges and experience shooting in as many different environmental conditions as possible.

Build both skills and confidence in you and your rifle system.

While I agree with the need to be able to master the fundamentals of shooting such that you can shoot sub MOA groups at 1-300 yards is important, offering a class where the max range is 200 yards as an effective long distance precision rifle course is disengeuine at best.
Shooting at long range requires more than being able to make bug holes at short range. A viable long range shooting class would require instruction in many things that cannot be demonstrated at 200 yards. A long range course would need to explain and demonstrate several factors of external ballistics such as (but not limited to) cartridge selection for the task desired, the selection of a firing platform and optics, the effects of corriolus effect, aerodynamic jump, time in flight, effective BC modelling, ranging and atmospheric factors, and most importantly, reading wind conditions from muzzle to Target and how to interpret the observed input...most of which cannot be done at short range.
A rifle class conducted at 200 yards is a course in basic rifle fundamentals, nothing more. These fundamentals are very important to learning to shoot and need to be mastered, but do not confuse precision at short range with accuracy at long distances.
When shooting at distances where a projectile approaches or exceeds transonic velocities, to hit your target, pretty much anything you can learn at 200 yards must have been mastered already and a whole world of other skills come into play. To learn to shoot long range, you must shoot at long range.
Unfortunately, there are few places in Washington where long range shooting exercises can be conducted. Sad Panda.

Interesting choice of word; disengenuine

dis·in·gen·u·ous
/ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: disingenuous
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious;

Based on the OP's title of the thread, the class is based on beginning precision shooting. The precision rifle class at shorter range distance covers many of the things you point out. For some odd reason, folks tend to think that precision and accuracy are treated different or mutually antagonistic, when they must go hand and hand all the way through the process.

Thanks for the invite, cerberus training is in my area and he is a friend.
I believe the beginning class would be best for me. Several times shooting at 600 yards more misses then hits.

PS your inbox is full.

Most good ranges or locations to shoot long distance in Oregon or Washington are going to be on the Eastern side of the two states. I have little to work with in the Willamette Valley outside of private ranges that are expensive or only offer availability limited times of the week. If anyone knows anything in central Oregon between say Bend and Madras area in 2019, I'd probably take time off to make it work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top