JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The past few years I've been packing around a Sendero II 7mm Rem Mag with a break, timney trigger, Leupold VX3 HD, and Rugged Ridge Outdoors bi-pod.

I'm a big fan of the rifle and shoot it well with factory ammo out to 600 yards, but at 12.1 pounds I dread packing it in the backcountry anymore.

I'm looking for suggestions on lightweight, long-range, semi-custom factory options and calibers. We hunt antelope, deer, bear, and if I ever draw a good elk tag, elk.

I like the versatility in grain selection of the larger calibers, versus something like the 6.5 creed.

Input? I'm also open to looking at anything someone might have for sale that fits this mold.

300 win mag for various reasons.
wide range of reloading options
wide range of factory ammo options
ammo is available off the shelf almost anywhere
wide range of bolt guns available
granted it's not as flat a shooter as 7mm, but carries more weight

I have the same opinion on the .30/'06.

look around, I would try and find a winchester classic m70, a "Laredo" if you can. Problem is they don't come up for sale often, for a reason.

Last Edited:
Out to 600, I would just find a sporter-weight rifle with a good pedigree, bedded in a laid-up fiberglass or carbon/graphite blend stock, and stick to the cartridge you know.

I picked up a 700 SPS stainless in 7mm RM as a donor. I had a Bell & Carlson Alaskan Ti take-off stock so I went against my better judgment and bolted it on and took it to the range. Shot 5-shots in less than 2 inches at 300 yards, so I decided not to waste the money in a rebarrel. Just bedded the action to the stock and shot it a bunch.

If I'm spending your money, a Browning X-bolt long range or pro, stick with 7mm Rem Mag. 7 pounds or less plus your optics and ammo. Lose the bipod, carry shooting sticks or use a pack rest.

If it was my budget and preference, more likely a Savage 110 Storm 22" in .280AI or 24" in 7mm Rem Mag. They are only about 1/2 pound heavier than the Browning, but after several hours of hiking, ozs can feel like lbs. Plus, I am kind of fond of Savages.

That's just my perspective. Lots of very good options out there.

If I'm spending your money, a Browning X-bolt long range or pro, stick with 7mm Rem Mag. 7 pounds or less plus your optics and ammo. Lose the bipod, carry shooting sticks or use a pack rest.

If it was my budget and preference, more likely a Savage 110 Storm 22" in .280AI or 24" in 7mm Rem Mag. They are only about 1/2 pound heavier than the Browning, but after several hours of hiking, ozs can feel like lbs. Plus, I am kind of fond of Savages.

That's just my perspective. Lots of very good options out there.

I'd slum a Salvage! Never had an X-Bort, but I've never been fond of the A-Bort.

Here is your rifle: I believe still for sale on I fish...Titanium Action. You won't feel it with a bull in the crosshairs!
I own one of these in 270WSM...rather not carry the 300 Weatherby when I have the A bolt.

Up for sale is a very hard to find Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti in .300 WSM. This rifle has only been fired a few times to sight in. It has just been sitting in my safe. The rifle still looks new. The manufacturer's specs are listed below:

Caliber: .300 WSM Capacity: 3 Features: Target crown; adjustable trigger; top-tang safety; and free-floated barrel Action: Bolt Stock: Bell & Carlson Synthetic Stock with DuraTouch Armor Coating Mossy Oak Break Up Camo Material/Finish: Barrel: Stainless steel Receiver: Titanium Scope: Drilled and tapped for scope mounts Weight: 5.7 pounds Barrel Length: 23" Twist: 1 in 10" Length of Pull: 13.75" Overall Length: 42.75" Drop at Comb: 0.6" Drop at Heel: 0.5"

$1200

Here is your rifle: I believe still for sale on I fish...Titanium Action. You won't feel it with a bull in the crosshairs!
I own one of these in 270WSM...rather not carry the 300 Weatherby when I have the A bolt.

Up for sale is a very hard to find Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti in .300 WSM. This rifle has only been fired a few times to sight in. It has just been sitting in my safe. The rifle still looks new. The manufacturer's specs are listed below:

Caliber: .300 WSM Capacity: 3 Features: Target crown; adjustable trigger; top-tang safety; and free-floated barrel Action: Bolt Stock: Bell & Carlson Synthetic Stock with DuraTouch Armor Coating Mossy Oak Break Up Camo Material/Finish: Barrel: Stainless steel Receiver: Titanium Scope: Drilled and tapped for scope mounts Weight: 5.7 pounds Barrel Length: 23" Twist: 1 in 10" Length of Pull: 13.75" Overall Length: 42.75" Drop at Comb: 0.6" Drop at Heel: 0.5"

$1200

2.86" magazine box in a WSM? Pass.

I'd be more concerned with having to jump all my loads into the lands rather than starting from the start and then having the latitude to adjust OAL to make the bullet I want to use, shoot the way I want it to.
I have to agree ...I do like long mags and seating options. But darn, I also like the short handy bolt guns.

IF (big if) I was looking at a long range hunting rifle, I'd look for a 300PRC.
I was poking at Ruger to bring their Long Range Target out in 300PRC, but now I changed my mind and started playing with old rifles for a while instead.
I used to have a 375 Ruger and had thoughts of a 30 Cal version the 300PRC basically duplicates. Honestly, I wanted a 30 Newton, but that seemed like too much work!
Probably not going to find many lightweight rifles in 300PRC, though.
Rechambering a 300 Win Mag is an option and could open up a lot of possible platform choices.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top