JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In mid to late May I'm looking to go camping and shooting on public land.I want to get out away from portland. Camping for a big 5th wheel would be awesome, but a small 19 foot camping trailer would be cool too.

Sorry if I'm not doing this right... it's my first post.

help is appreciated!

In mid to late May I'm looking to go camping and shooting on public land.I want to get out away from portland. Camping for a big 5th wheel would be awesome, but a small 19 foot camping trailer would be cool too.

Sorry if I'm not doing this right... it's my first post.

help is appreciated!
Well good start, 3 mo's early. I'll think on your request.

Shoot, I'd love to hear about 1000 yard places too. Got any specifics @wp4 ?

Half the fun is getting out there and exploring new places to shoot! I'm not going to give out Google maps directions.... I have had to find all the areas I know about by myself and am glad I did!

That said, Eastern Oregon has many, many areas you can find to safely shoot long range, with a good backstop and not have to shoot over roads, trails, or rivers!

Download Google Earth and start looking around. Use the measuring tool to your advantage. Find several promising areas and then go out and look at them in person. Bring your rangefinder with you.

Look at the Fremont Winema, Freemont, Malheur, Umatilla, and Ochoco national forests. Lots of areas there that you won't see another person all day.

Not trying to contradict @bbbass, but even in the Wallowa-Whitman NF of NE Oregon I've found areas to shoot 650+ yards.

Just get out there and look. It's not that hard! If it frustrates some people that I won't spoon feed this info out, oh well. I want to be helpful, and I can say from experience it's fun just finding these places.

Not trying to contradict @bbbass, but even in the Wallowa-Whitman NF of NE Oregon I've found areas to shoot 650+ yards.

Aw, that's ok. I don't get out much anymore.

Just meant that with all the trees in the Wallowa-Whitman, IMO those kind of areas are much harder to find by wandering around. My experience is that there are much easier places to get to in the hilly areas below, or the flats further east/SE.

Half the fun is getting out there and exploring new places to shoot! I'm not going to give out Google maps directions.... I have had to find all the areas I know about by myself and am glad I did!

That said, Eastern Oregon has many, many areas you can find to safely shoot long range, with a good backstop and not have to shoot over roads, trails, or rivers!

Download Google Earth and start looking around. Use the measuring tool to your advantage. Find several promising areas and then go out and look at them in person. Bring your rangefinder with you.

Look at the Fremont Winema, Freemont, Malheur, Umatilla, and Ochoco national forests. Lots of areas there that you won't see another person all day.

Just get out there and look. It's not that hard! If it frustrates some people that I won't spoon feed this info out, oh well. I want to be helpful, and I can say from experience it's fun just finding these places.

I've tried the google earth method but the mixture of elevation and accessibility doesn't really translate on the maps. I was hoping to gleem a bit of knowledge from this collective hive mind before going a lot way out with a large chance of not finding what I need.

I'll keep looking though!

I've tried the google earth method but the mixture of elevation and accessibility doesn't really translate on the maps. I was hoping to gleem a bit of knowledge from this collective hive mind before going a lot way out with a large chance of not finding what I need.

I'll keep looking though!

Google Earth isn't a complete slam dunk, you have to search an area you already know is accessible, and find several spots to check before you go.

Once you find a promising spot, check it from the "ground view" in google earth to make sure it looks the same from the ground as it does in the air. If course, trees that could obstruct the view won't show up as obstructing anything, so some common sense is needed there... but in Eastern Oregon there are vast swaths of public land with no trees, so searching an area there will be easier.

I can guarantee you will find what you need if you go out to one of the NF areas I mentioned previously and look around. Almost 100% sure you will find something the first day.

Have you been to Eastern Oregon before? Serious question, don't take that as a snarky remark.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top