JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Mostly what?

• Total voters
Rifles for me but not cause I like them more. It's because I have either got them from family or found them for under 200. I got a new safe after my grandmother gave me my grandfather's rifles. Which I have more not working 22s than anything lol

I like ALL firearms. I started out with shotguns and a .22 rifle. Just shooting informally where ever I could find a spot. It was easier to shoot clays and the Navy had a trap and skeet range that any military was invited to use. I enjoyed it because I could shoot a lot vs rifle or pistol shooting for accuracy, which just seemed to be a PITA to me. I continued to use more shotgun when I moved here, as I could get a lot more shots when hunting birds than with big game hunting, in which I could go years w/o fire a shot at an animal.

Much later on, I got involved in action pistol competition and spent a lot of time and $$ with that. Huge numbers of rounds sent downrange. Then I made a new friend that had access to a private area to shoot, and started getting into rifles. Also built two ARs and sent a lot of rounds with those. Wish I had a PCC to play with. My shooting buddy died, so now pistol is about the only shooting that I do. Access is so easy at the club range since we have a separate area for pistol that has 9 bermed bays.... much shorter walk to check/change targets and mostly a private thing where I don't have to worry about the guy next to me and all the "range cold" calls. No SO and no range nazis.

Just for fun.

I'm realizing I really don't like pistols much. I own far more long guns.

I think I need to start looking at this differently, as one can fit way more pistols in a safe lol.

So which way do you lean?

I owned and shot more handguns from the late 90's and on when I started to buy and shoot my own guns. Back east and when I moved out west after my late husband died. I only owned 3 rifles (22lr) when I lived back east.

I do not own or shoot handguns any longer.

So it is rifles for me now @ 68.5 years old. Plus my firearm calibers changed over the years too.

I shoot the CZ Lux 455 rifle. This is my MAIN firearm.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

I still have the 2 Savage Rascal rifles. I still shoot them even if they are meant for kids since they are VERY lightweight but I LOVE the CZ 455 Lux more. The adult size rifle fits me much better.

I started to look at another rifle recently but I tell myself that I don't NEED IT. My MT husband laughed at me and said that I should just get it!!!

Cate
PS: I still LOVE everything about specific brands, specific calibers and specific styles of handguns (The ones that I owned.) MORE than rifles but I accept my arthritis, old accident issues, etc. and I deal with those facts at my age. I never owned a shotgun. I thought about getting one on and off over the years. My late husband never owned a shotgun. He only owned a few guns in his life, on purpose, and in only 2 calibers (22lr and 357Magnum.).

Last Edited:
I find myself using rifles more and just carrying handguns.

Hello,

My MT husband and I are senior citizens. He used to shoot handguns MORE than rifles for a LARGE chunk of his life. Competition, keeping up skills, plinking, general practice, shooting a bunch more calibers and STYLES OF GUNS in the past.

He has been shooting since he was a kid. He has hunted all of his life too.

He always owned handguns, rifles and several shotguns too. It depended on his budget ($!$) as a young man, his interests as he aged, downsizing his firearms before and after retirement, caliber consolidation, and some aging-physical issues for him.

Right now, he still carries - conceal and open carries depending on where he is.

He owns and shoots rifles much MORE now.

He still keeps up his handgun skills since he carries and since he still enjoys his couple of handguns. I do not know if he will change his HANDGUN CALIBER as he ages. Plus using something a bit lighter in weight.

He does not own or shoot a shotgun any longer. He sold his last one and he talked about getting another one but he changed his mind.

Good shooting to you.

Cate

Last Edited:
OP,

This is a good thread. Thank you for starting it!

I think that some people change their firearms over time due to various reasons. Not just age, physical issues, budgets, tastes in firearms, different opinions about their firearm calibers and so forth.

Cate

Lol. I hope so.

Carrying a rifle would be rather interesting in today's US.

I mean literally carrying - not EDC.

I usually don't carry a firearm, even on my property (20 forest acres), but when I do it is usually a handgun. Sometimes I take the shotgun out to check on a noise or what set off the lights - usually deer or raccoons, but bear and cougar prowl about here too.

I mean literally carrying - not EDC.

I usually don't carry a firearm, even on my property (20 forest acres), but when I do it is usually a handgun. Sometimes I take the shotgun out to check on a noise or what set off the lights - usually deer or raccoons, but bear and cougar prowl about here too.
I'd prefer the shotgun too!

It all goes in waves. Sometimes I'm really into pistols, sometimes in really into semi auto rifles, sometimes bolt guns.... Haven't bought a pistol for a year or so, bought 3 bolt guns in the last couple months. All me again this fall and I'll have a different answer

Just for fun.

I'm realizing I really don't like pistols much. I own far more long guns.

I think I need to start looking at this differently, as one can fit way more pistols in a safe lol.

So which way do you lean?

Rifles!
Because they:
Shoot farther than pistols
Generally hold more ammo than pistols
Hit harder than pistols
Are easier to be accurate with than pistols
Make better clubs than pistols
And you can hang more gadgets on rifles than you can on pistols

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR