JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
boy oh boy. mailing firearms is confusing !
my late brother left me some long guns..bp rifle,antique rifle,and 2 'modern' long guns,in NC,and I'm in Wa state. No will,so no proof of ownership.
in trying to decipher the myriad of gca '68 and usps rules, I think it's easier to go thru ffl to recieve them on my end. ? I believe my sis can mail them to ffl here ?
going to get them just not possible.

am I overthinking this ?
thanks !

Yep the BP can be shipped directly to you (depending on Washington State law ) but the easiest way is to have your sister pack them in boxes with styrofoam sheet padding and ship them to a FFL that has agreed beforehand to accept them. A copy of the FFL's license in the package is not a bad idea. They can go via USPS. Be sure to insure them.

No need for a proof of ownership.

Have your sister call some local gun stores, and explain the situation to them, they should be able to steer her in the right direction.
Also, she should ask them if they have any long rifle boxes available. They are meant to ship rifles and might have some of the packing material inside already.
UPS will ship to an FFL's address. Do not mark "firearms" on the outside of the box.
Make sure they are unloaded and any bolts, mags are removed from the firearm.

Yep the BP can be shipped directly to you (depending on Washington State law ) but the easiest way is to have your sister pack them in boxes with styrofoam sheet padding and ship them to a FFL that has agreed beforehand to accept them. A copy of the FFL's license in the package is not a bad idea. They can go via USPS. Be sure to insure them.

No need for a proof of ownership.

Exactly... Long guns can go USPS or UPS as stated above... Have your sister inclose in each box a photocopy of her DMV... A copy of the recieving FFL's License is a good idea but not required.
Make sure the recieving FFL "WILL ACCEPT" a shipment from an "Unlicensed Shipper" and follow his requirements to the max.

BOX..? No firearm markings and the firearm should not slide, rattle or make noise. Some central UPS stations can make up a box. If it is a bolt rifle I would advise removing the bolt and separate wrap it before putting it in the box so it cannot scratch or rub the rifle. I recieved a mauser not to long ago with the bolt handle poked through and outside the box. I wrap most for shipping with bubble wrap and tightly fill any voids with newspaper and pack it in with a small broom handle.

Cheers!

UPS stores won't handle any firearm / ammo packages. You have to go to a UPS branch customer center.
The stores are private enterprises and are prohibited from handling these type of shipments.

I shipped a long gun not to long ago through USPS to a class three. It was an ordeal. I had read up before hand and brought a copy of the USPS policy and BATF FAQ regarding shipping long guns. Even that the clerk had to make a call and required that I send it regestered mail. Cost me $45.

Consider just having your sister drop them off at a FFL and having the FFL package and ship. It will cost a little more but it will save you and your sister a lot of headache.

The modern long guns well need to go through a FFL and the other can ship direct to you. I would check WA state regs but as I remember BP is a age requirement only.

Ummm how are people coming to this conclusion, unless I missed he has his C&R age don't matter. We're not looking for the legal 18year old here. Antique rifle to me- is still a rifle. Either you or her should do some legwork and find an FFL there, and one here to ship and receive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top