JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not to beat a dead horse on the gun safe issue but...I am looking for opinions on how best to store my long guns in an apartment. We currently just have two, but...you know how it goes, we will probably buy another one or two in the coming year.

My wife and I are currently living in a simple, 2-bedroom place. We have no kids yet and really don't have too many visitors. Crime has not been a problem (knock on faux-oak-veneer-particle-wood). Still, I feel it's my duty to at least lock up the firearms or the ammunition. And wouldn't you know it, I bought more ammo than will fit in my small 30" tall safe :D

Now, I know I am not looking for some 1200+lb Fort Knox fireproof setup. A Bi-Mart special <broken link removed> screwed into the studs in a closet has a certain utilitarian appeal. I'm certainly willing to pay more, but only if there is substantial added security or storage convenience. Suggestions welcomed!

Nothing wrong with a stack-on as long as you mount it to some studs. Not the best, but will work better then nothing. People can get into anything with enough time and motivation. You will not get any sort of fire rating with out some weight though. As long as you know that you'll be OK.

I am in your situation as well. I have a locker but can't call it a "safe" byany means. I know right now a 1200 lb safe won't go in an upstairs apt. We will be moving to a downstairs in 6 months or so and I look forward to the concrete floor that will take the weight of a true safe and a 100+ gallon aquarium. :)

For now the locker bolted to wall and floor will suffice. I'm fortunate that the locker is 1.5" narrower than the closet that it's in. Near impossible to remove or pry cause there is no space.

Putting a safe where there is no room to pry is a good idea. I'm going to build some very strong walls both sides of the door to my secure gun room for that reason.

The cheap sheet metal "safes" like Sentry or Stack-on can be augmented to be much stronger without much added cost. I bought the cheapest one and added to it. Because it fits into the end of a closet there is little leverage room to pry on it. I drilled more mounting holes and added several more big lag screws and washers to anchor it into the framing---no prying it out without destroying the walls!

The piano hinge was well placed, but it was installed with aluminum pop-rivets! I added a row of about twenty steel flat-headed bolts with lock washers, so no more chance of just chiselling the rivets on the hinge side.

I added a pair of BIG, heavy-duty, screw-covering lock hasps OVER the door on the locking side, with two big keyed-alike disc-locks. Every bolt was protected by multiple flat washers so there is no chance to tear the bolts out of the sheet metal.

Sure, it's still just sheet metal, and a determined burglar could use a rotary power saw to cut in---but that would take time and make a LOT of noise. An experienced thief would probably not even try........................elsullo :p

@elsullo, sounds interesting. That might just be the way to go. Do you have any pictures handy (just for curiosity's sake)?

Has anyone had experience with Stack-On's "convertible" interiors? I like the idea; shelving is more valuable than gun racks for someone who only has two rifles..this month! :D But if it's junk, I'll just build something myself.

@elsullo, sounds interesting. That might just be the way to go. Do you have any pictures handy (just for curiosity's sake)?

Has anyone had experience with Stack-On's "convertible" interiors? I like the idea; shelving is more valuable than gun racks for someone who only has two rifles..this month! :D But if it's junk, I'll just build something myself.

They have those on display at dicks sporting goods... they are pretty nice, I have one for my ammo and pistols and I like the shelving.

got mine on sale for onefiddy

You guys want him to build or stud drill into a rental apartment? Good luck with your deposit. +1 for insurance. Your apartment door is locked - your responsibility is done for securing them.

You guys want him to build or stud drill into a rental apartment? Good luck with your deposit. +1 for insurance. Your apartment door is locked - your responsibility is done for securing them.

Drilling into the studs in an apartment shouldn't be a deal breaker for deposit. A bit of spackle and some paint will normally be sufficient, especially in a closet.

A few more nails in the wall is the least of my worries. Insurance is no substitute for responsible storage of arms. At least, that's the thought prompted my original post. I've lived in the place 3 years (much longer than anticipated, btw), so there are bigger blemishes than nails in sheetrock. Plus, the landlord said, "Just leave the nails in when you move out so the painters know where to spackle."

anyway, I'm still undecided as to whether I should go for safe or just settle for a "gun cabinet."

anyway, I'm still undecided as to whether I should go for safe or just settle for a "gun cabinet."

If you want to prevent loss from fire (to some extent) or loss from someone who has the time/determination/tools to get your guns, then a safe (RSC) is your choice. Of course, understand that these things have their limits - they aren't a bank vault.

If you are just trying to keep the roommate/kids away from your guns or deter the smash-n-grab burglar, then a gun locker should suffice.

There's also the question of moving the thing around - will you be moving soon, do you live on a second floor, etc. Safes (RSCs) aren't impossible to move, but they're a pain.

I made do with a gun locker for several years before moving up to a safe. Never had anyone break in, so it's hard to say how it would have fared. However, I don't believe in leaving my firearms unsecured, so it satisfied that requirement for me. It was also easier to move two times.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top