JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is for anyone running a long eye relief scope or "Scout" scope on their Mosin. I'd like to mount on where the rear site use to be. I am wondering what rings or height people have mounted their scopes with. If you've got one a simple measurement off the barrel to the bottom of the scope would be fine. Also, what is your opinion of the cheek weld when using the scope?

Trying to get the Mosin ready to go out hunting for general season.

Last Edited:
Sooo....since I didn't get any input, I'll tell you what I've decided on

I am on another forum that has a small gun section and one of the members there had done what I was looking for and gave me some great suggestions.

I bought everything from Amazon.com

First was an NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scope. It was suggested to me from the other board, and on the Amazon reviews other's are using them on a 91/30 and they are standing up to the abuse.

Also recommended to me was a rail to adapt from the 11mm Dovetail on the Mosin to a Weaver or Picitanny style, to get the scope elevated a bit. I didn't have a recommendation to go off, but a quick search led me to the UTG 11mm to Weaver rail. Again in the reviews is someone using this part with success on a Mosin. The other feature I like is it has a set screw vertically through the rail, so I can drill a dimple into the Mosin dovetail then loctite in a set screw to hold it in place.

Lastly I needed rings, and in the UTG reviews, the reviewer using the rail on a Mosin also stated he used B-Square Low rise 1" rings, so I found those on Amazon as well and added them to the cart.

Total cost to my door was 62 bucks to my door! Is it the best quality stuff? By far NO, but it should get the job done and will allow me to take the Mosin deer hunting this year. I'll post back once I get the parts and again after shooting to see how it does.

I have a M44 with with the S&K mount which is a good solid unit and an easy install. So far I have been very happy with the mount and height of the scope and will now upgrade the scope with something better than the NcStar 2-7x 32 which is holding up well.

The M44 and 91/30 have different mounts and the M38 is compatable with the M44 mount.

Reciever to scope bottom is 0.502in at the lowest point of the rear eyepiece.
Front handguard to lowest point of scope front is 0.460.
Barrel front of reciever to barrel of scope is 0.821

1946 M44 Izzy 008.jpg

1946 M44 Izzy 006.jpg

S & K Scope Mounts Home Page - rifle scope, scope mounts, Insta-Mount, SKulptured Mounts

1946 M44 Izzy 008.jpg

1946 M44 Izzy 006.jpg

I tried the Bsquare stuff and in my opinion it is crap. The S&K is rock solid and you can level the mount with the rifle and not alter the rifle in any way. Plus you are looking at something with quality for $20.00 more. I have the S&k style rings and no problem there.

9165 MOSIN NAGANT 91/30 & 91/59 Scout (S&K Style) $ 80.50
9170 MOSIN NAGANT 91/30 & 91/59 Scout (Weaver Style) $ 70.50
4465 MOSIN NAGANT M44 SCOUT (Will work on M38 also) (S&K Style) $ 80.50
4470 MOSIN NAGANT M44 SCOUT (Will work on M38 also) (Weaver Style) $ 70.50

**** Note: All item #'s ending in 0 and 0B are the Weaver style mounts - no rings included.
All item #'s ending in 5 are S&K style and come with our windage adjustable rings

Here is what I ended up with, the B-Square rings were out of stock, so I went to Wholesale Sports today and they had a set of Burris Zee rings for 9 dollars on sale.:laughing:

2012-09-18_21-19-42_549.jpg

and the whole rifle.

2012-09-18_21-19-33_255.jpg

Diesel - hows it shoot? I've thought about building up a Mosin Nagant on a custom stock - have the idea just haven't gotten around to doing it or getting a disposable mosin to use.

I used the brass stacker scout mount. It uses the pin holes on the rear iron sight but allows you to keep the rear sight intact, allowing the use of both the scope and iron sights. It does sit slightly higher, but I cured that with a riser on the stock, similar to one's used on M1's.

I had a couple Mosins and they were accurate about 50 yards. Anything beyond that and they were all over the place. I mostly had them for the purpose of entertaining friends with fireballs. The report is spectacular...

If you guys can actually zero your Mosins, then count yourselves lucky :)

what scope did you end up with? I use the simmons 2x pistol scopes, about 90$, but I have several, some nearing 10 years old, and havent killed one yet, even on the guide gun..

To start with, I am using an NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scope. I'll use it until I am ready to upgrade or it breaks. When it does I'll go with something of higher quality, and hope to have the budget for a Leupold. Right now this project is a cheap rifle project, cheap being in bold, dark and underlined letters! LOL.

Diesel - hows it shoot? I've thought about building up a Mosin Nagant on a custom stock - have the idea just haven't gotten around to doing it or getting a disposable mosin to use.

I haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet, but I am planning on taking it out next Wednesday. I will report back once I do. I will give you a word of warning. I am not that great of a rifle shooter, so don't expect and fantastic groups.

I used the brass stacker scout mount. It uses the pin holes on the rear iron sight but allows you to keep the rear sight intact, allowing the use of both the scope and iron sights. It does sit slightly higher, but I cured that with a riser on the stock, similar to one's used on M1's.

I love the idea of the Brass stacker sight and though long and hard about getting one, but when it came down to with, I just felt i put the scope too high above the stock to be comfortable to shoot. Granted I never got the chance to use one or even look at one in real life, so when doing that I may change my mind. I am still planning on some sort of back up iron sight. With the Wever rail, I've got some great options for flip up sights, so the rear isn't going to be a problem. I do plan on getting the barrel cut down, and once that happens I'll start looking at what I can use as a system for irons.

I was looking for this thread for another post, and see I never updated it, so here it is.

I have a laser bore sighter, just a cheap model from Cabela's. I used it at home, then took it to the 50 yard range and started to sight it in. The gun was right on center, just high at 50 yards. I adjusted the scope down a bit and went over to the 100 yard range. I don't (and still don't) have a spotting scope, so I fired three, three shot groups, then went and checked my target. I hadn't hit paper with any of them. Confused I headed back up range and inspected the rifle, and found this.

2012-09-26_12-42-41_768.jpg

For you less then eagle eyed views, the mount is loose and the whole thing has slid forward, actually the gun slid back under recoil. Regardless, I was done for the day as I brought no tools with me.

At home I cranked everything back down on the mount, used some blue loc-tight and called it good. The next day I went shooting with a buddy. After balancing it on the hood of his truck and making sure it was still sighted in (used the cheap laser bore sight again), at 100 yards I ended up with this group after some adjustment.

2012-09-27_11-04-21_638.jpg

While not sniper quality, I was more then happy with it. I had fired about 60 rounds out of the gun in two days and my shoulder was starting to feel it. I am sure with better quailty ammo and a fresh shoulder I could get that group to tighten right up, and yes it's a four shot group. I hunted with the rifle twice, it's heavy, it's clunky, but had I saw an animal, I am sure I could have taken it.

I opted to stay period-correct with a modern "replica" (made with the authentic period machines, parts, and equipment, but assembled recently... so not so much a replica) PU Scope. I like it. I got it from accumounts.com

I had a couple Mosins and they were accurate about 50 yards. Anything beyond that and they were all over the place. I mostly had them for the purpose of entertaining friends with fireballs. The report is spectacular...

If you guys can actually zero your Mosins, then count yourselves lucky :)

Sounds like you were using irons?

I know this is an old tgread , but the best way I have found to mount a scout scope is take the rear sight off. And get some high rise or peep through 3/8in scope rings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top