JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had this Leupold 6x target with mil-dot for about 20 years waiting to build a rifle worthy of it. Just picked up a Springfield from a member here to rebarrel and restock; I'll mount this scope once the rifle is complete.

6E2C4E1F-0331-4EE1-B6CE-8418B250890F.jpeg C795D61E-75A9-4E41-B911-39E4F11E5EEF.jpeg

Basically I'm working towards a practical application system capable of what I refer to as MoM - minute of milk jug. If I do my part, it will consistently hit a milk jug at 600 yards from a supported prone position.

Now, to afford the barrel blank and stock...

I've had this Leupold 6x target with mil-dot for about 20 years waiting to build a rifle worthy of it. Just picked up a Springfield from a member here to rebarrel and restock; I'll mount this scope once the rifle is complete.

View attachment 523038 View attachment 523037

Basically I'm working towards a practical application system capable of what I refer to as MoM - minute of milk jug. If I do my part, it will consistently hit a milk jug at 600 yards from a supported prone position.

Now, to afford the barrel blank and stock...
A Mom rifle, how sweet. :D

It's actually a "free-floating" design. After every shot, you have to pull the scope back into place. Protects the innards from the effects of the recoil of a .45-90 round.

Plus you won't put your eye out... :D
Well, it looks dangerous! And scary! And stuff like that! :eek::confused::D

I like the Sig Tango6 line. The 3-18 sits on my hunting rifle and has shot out to 1200 yards. I also like the 4-24 but that has been discontinued. Their 1-6 sits on top of my MCX. Great products.

I tried a budget scope, Athlon Argos 6-24x50, on my Creedmoor. $400 with shade. Works well with light but not as clear as my Vortex's at dusk but for the price of less that half of a PST, a great buy.

I'm cheap, but like to use what has proven itself to me. By this, I mean, I don't run garbage just to get by. I use a SWFA SS 16x on my 6.5 creedmoor. It tracks flawlessly. Have managed 3" (10 shot) groups on steel at 440 yards with this set-up:

I also have a SWFA 16x.

I mounted it on my Savage FV-SR (.22LR) for 300yd plinking. I chose the SWFA 16x because it has over 100moa of elevation adjustment and the guys on Snipers Hide said the adjustment mechanism could take a lot of abuse. On a .22LR regularly going from 50yds to 300yds requires a LOT of turret cranking. Five years later... still working perfectly. Together with a customer cut EGW 40moa base I can go from 50yds to 300yds and keep it in the crosshairs with plenty of elevation remaining on both sides. Being fixed magnification helps to keep costs down. I think was only around $300.

One of my favorite recreational suppressed plinkers. Click...... ........ ....... ding. Love it.

72ou7B3.jpg

-----------------

A very underrated scope is the Bushnell 6500 Elite. 2.5x to 16x makes it a versatile optic. I have it mounted on my Remington 700 .308. Budget friendly at the time around 6-$700.

FmG5syL.jpg

SKrueger, I didn't directly answer your question of which scope I'd recommend and why. Here's that. FYI, I'm getting older also and particularly notice my low-light vision is degrading, which has upped my attraction to high-quality glass.

I love the Swarovski scopes because they're outstanding in clarity and low-light performance. The two models I like most for hunting are the Z3 and Z5, as both can be had for under 1 pound (some of the lightest scopes out there for the task). I like the 44 or 50mm objective sizes, again for light. The Z3 does not have parallax adjustment (set at 100), so if you're spending a lot of time at 300+ yards, I'd be biased toward the Z5. But obviously, the Swarovski scopes are brutally expensive ($1000-$1300 retail for these models).

I also like the Leupold VX-3i for hunting. The particular one I'd choose is the 4.5-14x50 with the side parallax knob and 30mm tube, which weighs just about a pound and can be purchased retail for about $650. Their higher-end scopes creep up to 20 ounces and over, so I like this particular model, as it balances things well on a hunting rifle.

They aren't making it anymore, but if parallax adjustment was not important to you, the Zeiss Terra scopes were a great package weighing under a pound and retailing for around $400.

The reason I previously commented on Tract scopes was that they might be able to offer similar quality to these types of scopes, but for a better price. Jury still out. And the Tract scopes are heavier than I prefer.

I have a VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 that's waiting for me to install on my Tikka T3xCTR when I get home from overseas.... I only got to look at it for about 15-mins before I had to put it in the gun safe. It's rather ironic looking forward to a 30 day vacation to end... I'm pretty excited, actually... LOL!

1CD1D04E-A2ED-44FA-91DF-919E50E2FBE9.jpeg 314BF2D1-DA0F-4963-ACC1-00BA3CEF956E.jpeg

You Long Range Shooters might want to take a look at the Navy Gadgets Website for a Spotting Scope. I just pick-up one and at 100 Yards I can watch the Earth Worms playing games! So I think it might just work for other uses! :):):)

I like shooting. I want to get better at long distance and precision. I am going to start reloading for just that reason and the fact that I can load cheaper than match grade ammo. My concern isn't with magnification its with clarity. I want some really nice glass some day and I know I will have to pay for it.
When I read this, i keep thinking Nightforce.

something i read the other day. If it pans out i would guess that there will be a bunch of new scopes on the market in the next few years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top