Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lone survivor movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vektus, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Vektus

Vektus North Idaho Member

2. FortRock

FortRock Bend/Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Heavy stuff. Have you read the book? Lutrell knew Chief Kyle. Have you read American Sniper?

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vektus

Vektus North Idaho Member

I read American Sniper and it was really good. i still need to get Lone Survivor book i been wanting to read it

4. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I thought Lutrell's book was excellent. American Sniper was also good, but I don't think of it as highly as the former. I got the impression that Kyle enjoyed his work a little too much.

Keith

5. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

A little too much . . . For who?

Sheldon

Sabertooth, Mongo1, evltwn and 5 others like this.
  6. trainsktg

I'm not sure I understand your question. To be more plain, my impression is that he got enjoyment from his work over and above that of a typical professional or patriotic feeling of a job well done. Is that a bad thing? I don't know, but I have never gotten the same impression from reading any other first-hand accounts of war.

7. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Haven't read either but they are on my list. If I was war fighting right now I think I'd derive great enjoyment from martyring some of the same ilk that incinerated 3000 people or made them jump to their death on 9/11. But that's easy for me to say sitting here with electricity, on a beautiful island, working at my chosen profession. Having been in the Navy and in a few classified classrooms with Navy Seals I have the utmost respect for them....well, except for Ventura who has become a caricature.

Brutus Out

8. trainsktg

I've never killed a person in combat, so I cannot say if I would feel satisfaction or pleasure from the deed, which is why I do not judge Kyle. His book is honest and anything less would be a farce. Maybe more people enjoy it and are just too ashamed to write about it. I dunno. Regardless, Kyle's book is the only one that I can recollect that the pleasure of killing was so apparent.

Back on topic, I will definitely be seeing the Lutrell movie.

Keith

9. SG85

SG85 503 Member

That's going to be a good movie, I just hope the cast can support the book and story. The book was a great read.

10. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I first read this book when it first came out, i've read it probably 4 or 5 times.

I have been dying to see this movie and just hope they make it true to the book!
    I know Luttrell was there as an advisor so should be awesome.

I've been searching imdb.com for the last couple years waiting I almost went into delression when they postponed it originally.

I haven't been this excited for a movie since I was a kid

11. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I've read both Lone Survivor and American Sniper, I try to support my Navy brothers. Went yesterday with my son and father to see Lone Survivor. It is one of the best war movies I've ever seen. A little off from the book but that's always to be expected. It shows the toughness and dedication of the UDT guys. Go Navy...:flag:

12. clearconscience

Yeah I saw a sneak peak a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. As usual it wasn't word for word on the book, but was a great movie action packed and really gives a true testiment to the toughness, dedication, and fearlessness though guys have to go into a uncertain battlefield.

I read that book 4 times and was in awe every time.

Now they to need to make a movie about murphy's ridge!

13. clearconscience

I meant Robert's ridge! Operation Anaconda

14. nastybynature

nastybynature ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Active Member

I am a huge Wahlberg fan since The Italian Job but I thought he was the wrong fit for this movie. The first 2/3rds of the movie were great! The last 1/3rd was too much Hollywood (have to keep their hollywood formula for success) and too much Wahlberg. That said, I will be seeing it again!

erudne and (deleted member) like this.
  15. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Read the book

jbett98 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

I recommend to read the book before seeing the movie. If I were an American sniper I would enjoy it

17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

It's a great movie. Take a tissue!!

18. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Good movie.

19. clearconscience

You know I'm mixed on reading a book before seeing the movie.
    Usually if you see the movie first you don't want to read the book, but the movie is never as good as the book.
    If ever possible I think watching the movie first then reading the book gives you more detail and background.
    Sometimes watching the movie after leaves you wanting more.

20. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

Seems odd, that no one mentioned the lack of support they had during the mission.