JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought Lutrell's book was excellent. American Sniper was also good, but I don't think of it as highly as the former. I got the impression that Kyle enjoyed his work a little too much.

Keith

I'm not sure I understand your question. To be more plain, my impression is that he got enjoyment from his work over and above that of a typical professional or patriotic feeling of a job well done. Is that a bad thing? I don't know, but I have never gotten the same impression from reading any other first-hand accounts of war.

Haven't read either but they are on my list. If I was war fighting right now I think I'd derive great enjoyment from martyring some of the same ilk that incinerated 3000 people or made them jump to their death on 9/11. But that's easy for me to say sitting here with electricity, on a beautiful island, working at my chosen profession. Having been in the Navy and in a few classified classrooms with Navy Seals I have the utmost respect for them....well, except for Ventura who has become a caricature.

Brutus Out

I've never killed a person in combat, so I cannot say if I would feel satisfaction or pleasure from the deed, which is why I do not judge Kyle. His book is honest and anything less would be a farce. Maybe more people enjoy it and are just too ashamed to write about it. I dunno. Regardless, Kyle's book is the only one that I can recollect that the pleasure of killing was so apparent.

Back on topic, I will definitely be seeing the Lutrell movie.

Keith

I first read this book when it first came out, i've read it probably 4 or 5 times.

I have been dying to see this movie and just hope they make it true to the book!
I know Luttrell was there as an advisor so should be awesome.

I've been searching imdb.com for the last couple years waiting I almost went into delression when they postponed it originally.

I haven't been this excited for a movie since I was a kid

I've read both Lone Survivor and American Sniper, I try to support my Navy brothers. Went yesterday with my son and father to see Lone Survivor. It is one of the best war movies I've ever seen. A little off from the book but that's always to be expected. It shows the toughness and dedication of the UDT guys. Go Navy...:s0160:

Yeah I saw a sneak peak a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. As usual it wasn't word for word on the book, but was a great movie action packed and really gives a true testiment to the toughness, dedication, and fearlessness though guys have to go into a uncertain battlefield.

I read that book 4 times and was in awe every time.

Now they to need to make a movie about murphy's ridge!

I am a huge Wahlberg fan since The Italian Job but I thought he was the wrong fit for this movie. The first 2/3rds of the movie were great! The last 1/3rd was too much Hollywood (have to keep their hollywood formula for success) and too much Wahlberg. That said, I will be seeing it again!

You know I'm mixed on reading a book before seeing the movie.
Usually if you see the movie first you don't want to read the book, but the movie is never as good as the book.
If ever possible I think watching the movie first then reading the book gives you more detail and background.
Sometimes watching the movie after leaves you wanting more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top