JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, this is not as random as it may seem. I recently accepted a new position with a company based in Texas. I'll be there at times, including later this month, but will largely work remotely. (Most joyfully I am back on the R&D side. Now that I am older and wiser I can promise no test equipment will catch fire this time. Oh, who am I kidding, I can't guarantee that.)

Considering the Beaver State is, evidently, leading the way of society's quickening downward spiral into unmitigated idiocy, I can't help but consider other locales. The Jumbo State features warmer climate, a better tax situation, less anti-2A horse-manure, etc.

My chief concern with relocating the tribe there is the water situation in that state. I'll have to do some research, but it is something to consider. To a much lesser extent, there are some concerns both me and my better half have about the culture down that way. (And I just received an editorial comment from the aforementioned sidekick about possible natural disasters.)
  • Thoughts on Teja?
  • How about the wa-wa worries?
  • Whilst in the Dallas area, where should I check out? (There's no way we're living in a city, but being within relatively close proximity to one is not a bad thing.)
  • Should I have "gone to Texas", should I change my username to SouthernGent?
Thanks sharing, partners. Yeehaw!

Last Edited:
I've been window shopping homes and property across the country.
Pricing in TX on a home with acreage is favorable.
Although TN is considered the best state for retirement. And might be close enough to TX to drastically reduce your travels to from the office when needed. I'd say it's less prone to some natural disasters as well.

I have family in the Houston area, they love it there even though they are transplants from The Carolinas.

My kids love to visit there, but love all 4 seasons that we have here.

I don't have any specifics regarding your questions.

Looking at Texas, what I'm not sure I could deal with is HEAT, and close to zero public land. your down Grants Pass way aren't you? Hop in the car and you've got miles of beautiful public land to explore.

5OR60.4%39.6%
45TX4.2%95.8%

Though I guess if you get your own land? Then it's just the stifling heat. What is it? Nine months out of the year? But NE Texas looks like it would be much better the Central/West

We've been to Texas 3 times this year exploring and shopping properties. The W/SW side of Dallas sits over the Trinity Aquifer and provides plenty of water. Even in the summer they had this year my realtor has not heard of anyone with a sound well running out of water. It's a different heat there than here in the NW, a little drier in the above mentioned area of Texas most of the time. Having 8 months of warm is getting to be much more appealing than 8 months of dark dank and wet. I am glad we didn't buy right away as the prices are adjusting quite rapidly right now. I would wait for a bit to buy if you can, so you aren't buying into a falling market. Weatherford has a lot of building going on and is a little bit cheaper. We like Granbury a lot and will probably end up there eventually. Stephenville is also very nice and has a great college there. Tarlton State University. Depends on how far outside the Metro you want to be. The property tax implications are something to understand and study ahead of time as it's much different than Wa. Buying in city limits can add up to 2% to your property taxes in some municipalities but there are a lot of ways to get exemptions so research is your friend. Driving is very different (LOL) if you want to drive the speed limit or under on the freeway I would suggest that you run the shoulder with your hazard lights on or you will get run over. Having a truck helps, lots of trucks in Texas which plays into my book. Very friendly people outside the big towns. Lots of gun ranges. Looked at a few. Having a pool would help with the heat. Granbury has the Brazos River running through the middle of it and is dam'd up to create Lake Granbury and lots of water activity and lakefront homes. I could go on for a bit but if there is anything specifically, feel free to ask.

One other thing I thought of is you mentioned working remotely. Outside of city limits good internet can be hit and miss. They are expanding broadband very rapidly. I have had good luck talking with the various companies that offer those services. None of the wait on hold for 20 min or more, always had a pretty clear answer on availability or future availability or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top