JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I learned today that there is (or was) a place to shoot up on the Lolo Pass road. Apparently you turn north from Zigzag and go up Lolo Pass road for a few miles.

I've never been there, but I would like to get out and do some open shooting. I'm getting a little tired of range restrictions. I'm a responsible shooter and won't shoot anywhere that doesn't have a good backstop or near other people's homes. I also pick up my trash when I leave.

Does anybody know if this area is still open? If it is, are there any restrictions on using it? I understand it might be close to the Bull Run Watershed, so I wouldn't want to get busted for trespassing there.

If anybody is familiar with this area and knows what the scoop is, I would appreciate some directions and info on the area. (What to look for, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Heh, indeed. It was reported late last year that the shooting area had been marked as off limits. Too much trash, gentry not liking guns, squirrel lobbyists dropping coin to the local .gov...who knows. There's a map to it in my sig line if you want to take a drive out. I can only relay info that I was given as I haven't attempted to go out there myself.

Thanks. Too bad the place got trashed. I was guilty of that myself in my much younger days. Wouldn't dream of trashing a good shooting spot now, though. Decent outdoor open shooting spots are just too hard to fine anymore.

that's too bad. there were some real nice spots up there. the one we used to go to was about 7 miles up the road from the turn-off at 26. then had to turn left, up a gravel road to a clearing about 75-90 yds with a hillside to back it up. had a fantastic view of mt hood behind you - and the crazy buzzing of the power lines right over your head.

found stripped parts off a Jetta or Passat up there one summer - looks like someone had stripped the car and was going to come back for the parts - someone else beat them to it and used the parts to hold targets

I just called the Zigzag ranger station and they said that Old Maid Flat was closed off to human traffic. They can't recommend shooting spots but there may be spots further up the road where you might be able to shoot.

That place has been closed for some time and will likely remain closed indefinitely. They expanded/modified the borders of the bull-run watershed (which that spot lies adjacent to) and due to environmental concerns about contaminating the water supply for the greater east Portland area and surrounding east-side. This is information I received from the rangers and staff at the ZigZag station. Shooting on the right side of the road is also going to get you into trouble because of the proximity to the power lines/towers and the road. If you shoot away from the road, there is no safe backstops and the surrounding area is full of hiking trails like the Pacific Crest, Ramona Falls, Top Spur trails, etc. I used to shoot there and it sucks, but it is what it is...I also spend a good deal of time hiking in this area and if you shoot at me, I guarantee I'm going to shoot back :p

Probably wouldn't hike any known shooting areas closed or otherwise. I wouldn't take that chance. Armed or not. You might not get the opportunity to "shoot back" Do everyone a favor and don't hike a back stop! Are you that same guy that blows through stop signs and red lights on a bicycle?

Let me clarify. I hike the area described (off Lolo pass) where there is no safe backstop to shoot at...like on trails...designated trails..like the Pacific Crest trail, the Ramona falls trail, etc. I was saying, in a joking way, do not shoot to the right of Lolo pass rd, because of that lack of safe shooting areas..ie, no backstops and hiking trails. The joke, being, if you shoot at me while I'm hiking on a designated trail, with no safe backstop, from a road, then you are being unsafe, illegal and I'll shoot right back. Would this really happen? Probably not, but it's a joke.

I do not hike in shooting areas. I do not hike on shooting backstops. I do not hike to the left of Lolo pass road. That area is the largely the bull run watershed and it is illegal to even enter the watershed boundary.

I can see where I might have been a little confusing and I am sorry and hope I didn't ruin your day. I am also sorry you are irate about scofflaw bicyclists...maybe if you keep bringing them up on unrelated topics in more firearms forums you can get them to quit offending your delicate sensibilities.

Have no idea about shooting down hill on the right side of the road that no one was asking about.:) (right side or the road goes down to the river right?) I was only offering the OP my bit on one single area on the left that I went to twice a couple years ago unrelated to what ever you responded with. Are you a Narcissist with a bike that blows through stop signs and red lights? Thanks for clarification on your chosen hiking areas unrelated to a shooting forum. You had me worried for a second.

I don't know why I'm arguing semantics with someone in an almost 2 year old thread. The bottom line of my posts are both relevant as, in short, they are saying that there is presently no safe and/or legal areas to shoot off Lolo Pass Rd just past ZigZag. However, none of this is relevant to the OP unless it's still Feb of 2012. It's more just general information since someone else resurrected this old thread.

Also, I'd wager to say I'm arrogant but far from narcissistic. I do not blow through stop signs and red lights on my bike. I would possibly do so in front of you just to tick you off. Yes, I'm sometimes that childish...so arrogant and childish, but not a narcissist. :s0164:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top