JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand what you are saying and of course I am just attempting to be funny, obviously you don't find it funny.

But I still think you are barking up the wrong tree.

The law about carrying a pistol in vehicle is a state law. If by the state definition what you had was a pistol it is irrelevant what the federal classification is you have broken no state law. If it is a SBR with a sig brace that meets the definition of a pistol it is legal to carry as a pistol according to state law right? What the ATF considers it to be is inconsequential as far as the state prosecuting you. Just as under state law a suppressor is not a firearm, but under federal law it is. The state of Washington can't charge you with selling a suppressor without a background check, because by Washington law it's not a firearm. However the ATF surely will. But as far as transport of a firearm in state there are no Federal laws that pertain to concealment that I am aware of. Carrying a concealed SBR is just as peachy as a pistol from the FED standpoint

I have no interest in being a test case, its all hypothetical. But I suspect I jury would agree with me. If I SBR'd a pistol it does not magically transmogrify it in the real world, it just adds a chunk of paper as to what the fed's consider it. If the vehicle law was a federal law, I would agree you would be screwed as they get to decide what it is.

But from a state standpoint if I get pulled over and have what looks like a pistol, fits the definition of a pistol and I say is a pistol there is no reason for it to go any further than that. (and no there are no markings on my SBR as it is a Rainier Arms lower that was SBR'd by Rainier Arms, No engraving required.

So I still think its doable and legal and I don't think any rational pro firearms cop or prosecutor would disagree.

That does not mean I intend to do it.

Now if you had a anti gun cop and prosecutor it really doesn't matter what is rational

Rationality in court would depend on perspective. An anti-gun prosecutor could easily argue that once you converted it into a SBR, the sig brace is redesigned to be a stock. As mentioned before, you'd be playing word games with the people who have a higher chance of winning if you get caught.

I understand what you are saying and of course I am just attempting to be funny, obviously you don't find it funny.

But I still think you are barking up the wrong tree.

The law about carrying a pistol in vehicle is a state law. If by the state definition what you had was a pistol it is irrelevant what the federal classification is you have broken no state law. If it is a SBR with a sig brace that meets the definition of a pistol it is legal to carry as a pistol according to state law right? What the ATF considers it to be is inconsequential as far as the state prosecuting you. Just as under state law a suppressor is not a firearm, but under federal law it is. The state of Washington can't charge you with selling a suppressor without a background check, because by Washington law it's not a firearm. However the ATF surely will. But as far as transport of a firearm in state there are no Federal laws that pertain to concealment that I am aware of. Carrying a concealed SBR is just as peachy as a pistol from the FED standpoint

I have no interest in being a test case, its all hypothetical. But I suspect I jury would agree with me. If I SBR'd a pistol it does not magically transmogrify it in the real world, it just adds a chunk of paper as to what the fed's consider it. If the vehicle law was a federal law, I would agree you would be screwed as they get to decide what it is.

But from a state standpoint if I get pulled over and have what looks like a pistol, fits the definition of a pistol and I say is a pistol there is no reason for it to go any further than that. (and no there are no markings on my SBR as it is a Rainier Arms lower that was SBR'd by Rainier Arms, No engraving required.

So I still think its doable and legal and I don't think any rational pro firearms cop or prosecutor would disagree.

That does not mean I intend to do it.

Now if you had a anti gun cop and prosecutor it really doesn't matter what is rational
If the law does not fit, you must acquit! :)

I have to agree with Bobo. By getting the SBR stamp, you have declared it a rifle. Now you want to argue in court that it is a pistol?

It sucks, but there it is.
The thing is, Washington State law has a specific definition of a handgun. Or maybe they call it a pistol, I'm not going to look it up. The ATF has a different definition. What Washington State considers a pistol is not the same as what the feds do. So I don't think you can toss his argument based on the stamp.

The thing is, Washington State law has a specific definition of a handgun. Or maybe they call it a pistol, I'm not going to look it up. The ATF has a different definition. What Washington State considers a pistol is not the same as what the feds do. So I don't think you can toss his argument based on the stamp.

What the law says and what happens in court are sometimes, sadly, two different things.

Just saying.

Vader ATF.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews