JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up one recently and a Vortex Viper Red Dot optic for it. This model has the optics mount on the barrel and not the slide. I used the blue loctite but the screws seem loose after sending couple hundred rounds through it. Current thinking is that the heat of the barrel caused the fail.

Do I go to the red loctite?

However, seeing all these stories of folks having to send their firearms to a LGS after using either too much or the wrong type of thread locker is giving me pause.

Clean everything really well, apply blue, torque to spec. Shouldn't come apart on something that doesn't even move. I've got things bolted to shotguns that haven't moved via blue loctite that see much more heat and recoil.

I'm not familiar with the Vortex. But if you need to remove it to replace the battery, then definitely don't do red. I'd try the blue again. It's weird that it came loose so quickly. Maybe you got a bad batch of loctite or it's super old or something??

Pro Tip: Just FYI...This stuff is fantastic btw. It's thread locker that's designed for screws that need to be periodically adjusted and/or removed. You can adjust a screw five times before it needs to be retreated. I'd probably still use blue loctite for your red dot. But the Vibra Tite is great for things like holster retention screws. :)

Clean everything really well, apply blue, torque to spec. Shouldn't come apart on something that doesn't even move. I've got things bolted to shotguns that haven't moved via blue loctite that see much more heat and recoil.
I would bet money this is the problem". Things were not clean when first application. You DO NOT want to go with the red for something like this.

I would bet money this is the problem". Things were not clean when first application. You DO NOT want to go with the red for something like this.
In researching prior to mounting, lot's of horror stories of stripped screws of folks using the wrong type of loctite or using too much. I used very little and also had a super light touch on the torque. The blue loctite was a bit thin and runny.

Now on the 2nd attempt with the blue after using alcohol to clean.

In researching prior to mounting, lot's of horror stories of stripped screws of folks using the wrong type of loctite or using too much. I used very little and also had a super light touch on the torque. The blue loctite was a bit thin and runny.

Isopropyl the screws and holes. Shake your loctite well before applying. Torque it to whatever the optic manufacturer recommends, and it shouldn't ever move.

You should be fine. The blue has never come loose on me for mounts. The red "can" be removed BUT, its not easy and for what you are doing you should not need it. Cheap torque driver is not a bad investment either. :)

I'm running the same thing - vortex dot and all. Just torquing to spec, came loose after a few hundred rounds.

Blue loctite and it's going strong after a few thousand.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top