JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a model 29 6.5 inch with the lock.
I shoot 250 grain gas check hand loads the defiantly generate a healthy dose of recoil. never a problem. But I do wish it was not there !
personally those little titanium revolvers are not my cup of tea anyway. I looked at a beat up 4 inch model 19 today. pinned and recessed. Tempting at 475.00, lots of holster ware , but probably shoots fine...tj3006

I looked at a beat up 4 inch model 19 today. pinned and recessed.
I've posted this info in several other threads but I guess it's worth repeating: The pinning of the barrel of the S&W revolvers hasn't been anything but a "Cosmetic" thing since 1958. That's when Smith began Cross Threading their barrels.:):):)

I've posted this info in several other threads but I guess it's worth repeating: The pinning of the barrel of the S&W revolvers hasn't been anything but a "Cosmetic" thing since 1958. That's when Smith began Cross Threading their barrels.:):):)

Do you mean "Crush Pressed Barrels?"

Do you mean "Crush Pressed Barrels?"
I'm not sure if I'd use that term. In simple terms, they use two slightly different threads on the two parts. Brownells used to have "Tap and Die" Sets with the correct threads. Depending on which one you were replacing. Then the pin became necessary. They also sold the pins and drills that were in the correct size. Of course, you also needed to properly drill the hole which pretty much required a fixture to hold it while you were drilling the hole. All that "Stuff" kinda made the cost go up and up unless you were doing the job on a regular basis. The first one was pricey but the rest were pretty easy but then...

E03D58B8-1CDA-4421-9EB1-8B14967AABB1.jpeg
Never had a problem w/ any of mine including my "do you feel lucky punk?" stainless .44 Magnum 629 down to my little.38 Special +P 638.

A57D4FD8-0A6F-438B-A762-87488337B80E.jpeg B633B461-6080-403C-9226-09D6D4C14D8B.jpeg

Last Edited:
It's simple for me. I HATE locks of that sort on ANY gun. The turn key locks etc I'm talking about like on the smith's and Taurus lines. Just more bullchit on a gun to mess em up, and unecessary to be built on a gun to start with.
There's supposed to someone who makes or made replacement fill in plugs for the Smith & Wessons turn key factory safety anyway. I can't remember which manufacturer it was off hand right now.
When they put locks like those on guns, each gun that does have any lock on it should come with a tag that says the following:
Youre-Too-Stupid-To-Own-A-Gun.jpg
:rolleyes::eek:

If the lock was a serious safety problem, S&W would have quit installing them years ago. I don't like the fact that TORT law drives this issue, but I would rather keep S&W making fine revolvers than not. I own half a dozen S&W revolvers w/ locks and they work fine. Sure I have pre-lock models, my pinned & recessed M27 is my favorite. I only own one self loader and it was designed by John Browning & I carried one in the Navy. Let's just quit whining about the lock, it's here to stay.

Last Edited:
KKG, I would agree that the pinned barrel on a older smith and Wesson revolver, is not of much value, but I sure like the recessed chambers in the cylinder. better for speed loaders and just a more refined product. I have never heard of a factory barrel unscrewing itself , but the pin is a quick visual way to reference how old a revolver might be without picking it up. ...tj3006

Not a revolver guy but had a Springfield 1911 with a key lockout in the mainspring housing. Really liked the gun otherwise... but will never buy a gun with a lockout again (or have it removed). Had to keep track of that tiny little key that will never get used. I suppose the design is robust enough it should never lock itself out over the years of recoil but you never know... its happened to others and even if its just a few statistics don't apply to the individual when they need it and it malfunctions. S&W makes great guns, but they have embraced the onboard safety lockouts for years. My dad had a old S&W 40cal with a magazine safety and it turned me off from looking their way ever since.

With all the common and cheap trigger locks available there is no reason for this to be installed on the gun. Just buy a trigger lock if thats what you need or all you can afford. Onboard lockouts are just another form of legislating common sense... you cant, if your not the type to secure your gun from kids or thieves or whatever you wouldn't be using the lockout anyways and just ignoring it like the little cable lock they make them provide with all new gun sales.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top