JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was gifted a S&W 360pd .357 Magnum AirLite and the lock was permanently disabled because they have the tendency to jam the gun when shooting full house magnum loads. Not a good thing if using it for personal defense.

I have a lock on a 4" M66 I bought used. I don't even know what the key looks like.:D

You better find it. And keep it handy.
Whey it desides to lock itself on recoil. Your gona need it. ;)

Now it's not that I think S&W make's a bad gun overall.

It's just that they suck with there stupid lock. There political position/cave in. And finally there turnaround in what was the best customer service in the gun business. All this has left me frustrated in S&W as a partner.

Last Edited:
I've had extended experience with a number of the post-lock S&W revolvers, many with thousands of range rounds in various match competition, such as 686/629/657/57/627/329/maybe others.

Granted they are ugly and symbol of a solution in search of a non-existent problem, not one has created any kind of hazard or failed-to-function situation.

I have 3 S&W revolvers with locks. I have never touched one and they have been totally benign. The myth of them moving around on there own was started by some competitor (Ruger?) people. Even my 629 (44mag) That gets shot and used a lot has never had a problem with them.

I have 3 S&W revolvers with locks. I have never touched one and they have been totally benign. The myth of them moving around on there own was started by some competitor (Ruger?) people. Even my 629 (44mag) That gets shot and used a lot has never had a problem with them.

I do believe it's more a problem in the Titanium light weight guns. Like my 329.

But it's no myth.

The Michael Bane Blog: S&W Revolver Lock Failure!

I have read those stories (didn't read this one) and most were about people that put the lock on and off. I can see where that might be a problem....too many tiny moving parts........but when left undisturbed I don't think there is a problem.

" I went out today to shot some .44 Magnums through several guns, including my ultralight-weight <broken link removed> overhauled by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision."

My buddy & me put 100+ heavy defense rounds thru his absolutely box-stock 329 without such failure.

I'm willing to give it another field trial as soon as arrangement can be made.

I am not willing to buy a locked Smith and Wesson if an older model is available. The model 69 is the most desirable of the new ones to me. Good thing I no longer hump the trail.

I believe the locks can be refitted. I don't know where the new parts could be sourced. Disassembly requires patience and a YouTube video for guidance. It took me a few tries because one of the leaf springs was not properly positioned. I was very satisfied with the results. I did not alter my inner workings as over fifty years of break-in is fine. I just opened it up to check on the crud build up.

I have read those stories (didn't read this one) and most were about people that put the lock on and off. I can see where that might be a problem....too many tiny moving parts........but when left undisturbed I don't think there is a problem.

Now there is a shining endorsement of the level of millennial era S&W quality....

"So I go into the Doctor's office and say.....
Doctor, it's hurts when I do this...Doctor says..Well don't do that
"​

On my 360PD, the lock part was left inside the frame, just the locking engagement nub was removed. That way the keyhole wasn't left exposed for dirt to enter into the inner workings.

At least three of our revolvers (S&W, Taurus, and Rossi) have the lock. I don't bother with them as they are securely stored in such a manner that such a measure is superfluous. On the flip side, they haven't caused any problem either. So, in other words, "meh", it is no matter.

At least three of our revolvers (S&W, Taurus, and Rossi) have the lock. I don't bother with them as they are securely stored in such a manner that such a measure is superfluous. On the flip side, they haven't caused any problem either. So, in other words, "meh", it is no matter.

This.

I have a few newer Smiths with this feature, never have used the locks, never have monkeyed with them, have totally ignored them, haven't had any problems.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top