JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been making the rounds at various tool outlets in the area and have not been able to find a decent source for brass punches. Either they don't carry brass or sell them in a set sized big enough to work on a D-9 Cat.
Trying not to buy a whole (expensive) set just to get one punch small enough to be usable.

Thanks,
I was hoping to find a local source, but it's looking like ordering some is going to be the only route.

Do you have a bench grinder? When I needed a brass punch I picked up a brass bolt at the local hardware store and turned it down to what I needed. Worked like a charm!

The counter guy at a welding supply house just handed me a 3' length of their biggest brazing rod and told me to have a nice day.
Harbor Freight use to carry them, but didn't have them last time I looked.

You need a .0625?
I use my drill sets and a resin/leather hammer, using the non-pointed end. Guaranteed machined end, can't deliver enough force to damage anything, provided my alignment is correct.
[ETA] you say D-9, as in a Cat? Because for such small stuff, I will do my best to chuck up the pin punch and gently press it out.

The counter guy at a welding supply house just handed me a 3' length of their biggest brazing rod and told me to have a nice day.
Harbor Freight use to carry them, but didn't have them last time I looked.

^^^^^^ This. Plain brass, aluminum bronze, silicon bronze all available in 3 ft lengths in diameters from 1/16 (and maybe smaller) up to at least 1/4". Gas and TIG brazing filler rod.

You need a .0625?
I use my drill sets and a resin/leather hammer, using the non-pointed end. Guaranteed machined end, can't deliver enough force to damage anything, provided my alignment is correct.
[ETA] you say D-9, as in a Cat? Because for such small stuff, I will do my best to chuck up the pin punch and gently press it out.

A little sarcasm about the D-9 (not that I have ever been accused of that).
I was thinking about just a few smaller sized punches, tapering up to a larger sized striking surface. Brass for when I miss. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top