JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a modest amount of Winchester Super X .357 Magnum Silver Tip (X357SHP). The usual mail order sources all show out of stock. I've also heard it is out of production, but have been hoping I might still find a box or so on a dusty shelf somewhere. Yeah I know there are high tech alternatives out there...but what if a werewolf shows up ? :eek:

Anyone seen any lately ?

Interesting forum on ammo. I'll see what I can come up with there.
The operator at Sportsman's Guide went tilt when I tried to place an order through them. This stuff is apparently even harder to find than I thought. Thanks again.

I've been looking for a modest amount of Winchester Super X .357 Magnum Silver Tip (X357SHP). The usual mail order sources all show out of stock. I've also heard it is out of production, but have been hoping I might still find a box or so on a dusty shelf somewhere. Yeah I know there are high tech alternatives out there...but what if a werewolf shows up ? :eek:

Anyone seen any lately ?
Nope, no werewolves in my neck of the woods.

I dug through my ammo safe and found a box. When I looked at it I found inside the box to be some reloads that I bought at an estate sale.
It was marked (Extra Hot Loads) and that brought back a memory of trying some of these in my Ruger Security Six.
More like "Extra Hot".

So now I am curious about the silvertips... I've never shot them. I remember seeing them around, but never bought any.... Why do that when you can make your own was always my thoughts.... What makes them so special?

So now I am curious about the silvertips... I've never shot them. I remember seeing them around, but never bought any.... Why do that when you can make your own was always my thoughts.... What makes them so special?
Not a whole lot. Don't get me wrong, they are still very viable rounds.. the whole line is, generally.. they aren't now up to equaling the more high-tech/exceptional ammo these days.
When they came out, they were cutting edge.. now, they work very reliably and look really neat! and come in 50rnd boxes

Legend has it that the Winchester USA hollowpoint line is/was essentially Silvertip slugs but without the electroless nickel finish applied to the bullets.
Check this out..
What

I'd get some 110gr Winchester USA magnums if you want to slap the holy outa somethin.. they probably sell them at walmart.

Are these round nose hollow points? I have a single shot rifle that's chambered for .357 Mag and I'm always looking for cartridges with round nose, or even pointed bullets. Anybody know of a good source?

This is what started my quest, my one and only survivor. It doesn't quite look like the round shown in the above posts. Yes the other 49 rounds were a kick in the arse to shoot. They were supplied as a special purpose round to at least one LE agency many moons ago.

DSC_5980[1].JPG

Last Edited:
This is what started my quest, my one and only survivor. It doesn't quite look like the round shown in the above posts. Yes the other 49 rounds were a kick in the arse to shoot. They were supplied as a special purpose round to at least one LE agency many moons ago.

View attachment 354442
Those do look badass, yet cool at the same time :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top