JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got three kids who are old enough for point savers and one can fill my tag. Before I take them out into the field, they need to nail down their ability to hit the target consistently. The mechanics, rules, and laws are covered. It is the 'bench time' they need.

We are starting with BBs on a 2'x3' piece of cardboard and moving up through 22 rifle to a .243 based on their consistency and competency.

We are based in the West Beaverton area and need to find a reasonably priced range. We stopped a couple times out at the gravel pit in the coastal range and found it a little too 'wild west' for our safety. The past weekend we stopped out at Tri-County to check things out and were curtly shoed away (heard there was a bit of a waiting list too). Heard about an open range across the river up near Camas but fear that might be too far to drive a couple times a week as we need a lot of range time in order to develop muscle memory and their skills. Checked out the Beaver Creek Armory but got the vibe that we were disturbing them by asking questions (may have been an off day or wrong person to speak with).

We need some solid suggestions for a decent range so that when the next season comes round we can safely and accurately harvest small game and big game (when age appropriate).

Hearing protection - check
Eye protection - check
Book & video lessons - check
BB & 22 rifles - check
Ammunition - check
Targets - check
Range cleaning supplies - check
Positive attitudes - check
Range - ?????

I've got three kids who are old enough for point savers and one can fill my tag. Before I take them out into the field, they need to nail down their ability to hit the target consistently. The mechanics, rules, and laws are covered. It is the 'bench time' they need.

We are starting with BBs on a 2'x3' piece of cardboard and moving up through 22 rifle to a .243 based on their consistency and competency.

We are based in the West Beaverton area and need to find a reasonably priced range. We stopped a couple times out at the gravel pit in the coastal range and found it a little too 'wild west' for our safety. The past weekend we stopped out at Tri-County to check things out and were curtly shoed away (heard there was a bit of a waiting list too). Heard about an open range across the river up near Camas but fear that might be too far to drive a couple times a week as we need a lot of range time in order to develop muscle memory and their skills. Checked out the Beaver Creek Armory but got the vibe that we were disturbing them by asking questions (may have been an off day or wrong person to speak with).

We need some solid suggestions for a decent range so that when the next season comes round we can safely and accurately harvest small game and big game (when age appropriate).

Eye protection - check
BB & 22 rifles - check
Ammunition - check
Targets - check
Range - ?????

Try English Pit over in east Vancouver. Check their website. It is also a gravel site but they have benches for rifles and pistol sheds too. They have Range Officers also.

Sorry for the cross post - new to forum and will make sure it doesn't happen again.

Eye protection - check
BB & 22 rifles - check
Ammunition - check
Targets - check
Range - ?????

English Pit in Vancouver. Rifles (50 & 100 yd benches) and pistols

When they're ready for .22s, take them all to an Appleseed at either Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Eagle Creek, or Chehalem Valley Sportsman's club in Dundee. Both are normally private ranges only, but open for Appleseed, and it's also the best possible training they can get.

CVSC appleseeds are rimfire only, so they won't have to share the line with centerfire noise and concussion before they're ready for that.

Might not be what your looking for but there is a youth bbgun program in forest grove. We teach four position shooting. Regular season runs January -June Teusday nights. New shooters start this month. Pm me if you want more info.

I know locally here in Vancouver there is a well established youth rifle team that would work wonders for their basic skills and confidence. It might be worth while to see if their is something similar closer to home sponsored by one of the local ranges. I shot competeively in high school (we used spears and rocks since guns hadn't been invented yet :rolleyes:) and it really set me up for life in accuracy and comfort with guns. You could then work with them in between on higher calibers and such and maybe not need to trave too far too many times. For what its worth, the local team here had a youngster that was picked up by team USA..... pretty impressive.

X2 for CVSC; on Worden Rd., behind Crabtree Park, N. of Dundee (traffic jam capitol of the world).

Dec 20th is the only day they will accept new members.

6 PM at the Newberg PD

$175.00 for 1st year
$125/year after.

No amenities other than porta johns. Over head cover, exclusive access; very safe.

NRA membership req.
3 guests per member
If spouse attends orientation, he or she will be allowed 3 guests also; when accompanying the primary member. That can accommodate a family or group of 8.

3 SM pistol pits + 2 in connex
2 LG pistol pits
1 Rifle Range (25/50/100)
1 SG range (no flying targets).

Membership limited to 4 or 500

IT is a bit of a commute from west Beav. - but TriCounty is an option. Sorry you didn't get a reception you were expecting. And they have a Boy Scout program. BSA Troop 224.
I don't have a contact phone, but drop a dime on BSA folks I am sure they can hook you up with a leader.

Depending upon maturity, and stature, Speed Steel might be an option.
Clearly the child has to be safe and able to use a 22 rifle - sized for the child, etc.
Great way to get trigger time - family event. A bolt action or semi auto will work - not so much a single fire. Check out our Competition Forum for FAQ. Competitive Shooting
These run at several ranges, including TC.

Johnson Creek gun club, just off of 82nd. It's a private pistol range and 22LR is the only rifle caliber allowed to shoot there. I got all my kids started there. I often see BB guns as well. Seems to be a good crowd, I've never seen any redneck behavior. They have cameras all over.
$160 per year. Johnsoncreekgunclub.com

I'm in Beaverton too. I don't go there that often lately but it's worth the drive.
Edit::: the other reason I like JCGC is because you can
bring your own ammo. They don't even sell it. They only
things they sell are targets, ear plugs and safety glasses and that's via an honor box. The place usually isn't staffed(you get a key card to get in). Also, the one annual membership fee covers your family too.

Last Edited:
I know locally here in Vancouver there is a well established youth rifle team that would work wonders for their basic skills and confidence...
There is a Boy Scout Venturing Crew (open to boys and girls 14 and older) up in the Vancouver area who focus on shooting sports. I have a couple years to wait for that but may be of use to your youth.

IT is a bit of a commute from west Beav. - but TriCounty is an option. Sorry you didn't get a reception you were expecting. And they have a Boy Scout program. BSA Troop 224....
Any idea if that is Venturing Troop? (open to boys and girls)? I have both but all of mine are under 14yo. Thanks though

Well Kevin, my range is ARPC, Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. Great range and people and they offer a multitude of educational programs for kids that can be accessed by the community at large.
Bad part it's about an hour and a quarter drive down I-5 from my home in NE PDX.
Good luck and great job on furthering firearms safety and enjoyment through your family! :)

Why not take them to the woods your going to be hunting in?

Learn the woods and generally there are shooting areas that only one car can access.

Take a chair and folding table - canopy if it's raining.

Just how I would go about it if I didn't have a club membership, and sometimes I still go out to the boonies.

Best of luck too you and your kids.

English Pit Shooting Range in Vancouver. Kid friendly, no yearly memberships required, discounted range fees with punch cards, range fee is valid for the entire day and includes re-entry privileges, covered firing lines, spotting scopes, sand bags, the list goes on. Roughly 25 or so miles from Beaverton.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top