JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure what bpearsal is meaning there???

Did you catch any of their names?

Side note: Cops in the day time are more than likely guys who have been around a while. A new guy at night might have a different attitude when it comes to citizens carrying legally.

What do you mean Salem does not allow OC? As in you cant carry it concealed? Or you cant have it on you at all? And what law stops one from having OC?

OC means Open Carry .... Concealed means hidden from sight on your body ... And if you have a concealed carry license and open carry, you may get it revoked ... because you did not follow the laws of concealed carry .... It's a tricky thing ...

Its actually concealed handgun license CHL ;)

You may be right. In Washington is called "License to carry concealed pistol" ... In theory both Oregon and Washington are Open Carry states. But last year there was the case of a young guy who was a member of the Opencarry.org and went into a 7/11 to get a bottle of juice having his sidearm on himself. Somebody called the police and told them there's somebody in the 7/11 who carries a pistol and who is "giving them the evil eye" ... The police, who never loose a chance to molest a citizen, came and they arrested the guy, took his sidearm, etc. He had to spend over $20,000 in bail, attorney fees and lost work time to come to the trial. In the end he was found not guilty of anything and his sidearm had been returned. Is it worth the aggravation? I don't think so ...

I personally live in a "rural county" and open carry all the time, although I have a CHL, CCL, LCCP, whatever you want to call it. I go to Starbucks in the morning where there's always a few police patrol cars and policemen inside; never asked to show my papers, etc. Why? Because when you open carry, you don't have to .... But I noticed that Law Enforcement in "rural counties" have more understanding for open carry that Portland, for example. (I lived there for a few years, but I NEVER open carried there). This happened in Centralia. Once I was stopped by the local police for speeding ... I was going to get a pizza, it was late and I didn't eat anything that day. The policeman stopped me and I told him I carry concealed. I also told him the reason I was speeding ... going to the pizza parlor. HE verified my documents, saw I didn't have any other tickets in the past 5 years, and came back to my car and gave me a Mulligan ... He said because I told him the truth and did not try to bullbubblegum him, and because I was cordial talking to him, this time it was "on him". HE followed me though to see that I am getting into the pizza parlor and getting my pizza. That was the end of it.

5) Don't be stupid. They said that although there is a lot of hoops to get the CCL, it only takes one letter from any officer to get it revoked.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm looking at ORS 166.293 (scroll down this link: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html)

Only the county sheriff can revoke a license, and only if you no longer meet all legal requirements, or "...if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant’s mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant’s past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence."

I doubt that one letter from one officer would be sufficient. If the county sheriff does revoke your license, you can go to court, and the sheriff would have to prove that he has grounds for the revocation.

It's scary that police officers or deputies would be claiming authority that they clearly do not have.

Hmm, funny how we can slip into political discussions so easily :huh:

On a side note, I am an Admin, (and former owner) of a Cigar Forum and we had to create a Political Sub-Forum (called Off-Center) to give people a place to vent (discuss) politics.

So, probably should keep this discussion on the Topic of LEO's.

Thanks though, good discussions.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm looking at ORS 166.293 (scroll down this link: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html)

Only the county sheriff can revoke a license, and only if you no longer meet all legal requirements, or "...if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant's mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant's past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence."

I doubt that one letter from one officer would be sufficient. If the county sheriff does revoke your license, you can go to court, and the sheriff would have to prove that he has grounds for the revocation.

It's scary that police officers or deputies would be claiming authority that they clearly do not have.

But what do you do if that police officer writes a letter to the sheriff in which he states he personally heard you saying one day you are going to go into a movie theater and kill everybody in there, then you'll kill yourself. Whom word do you think counts most in the court? Yours or the officer's?

If you have a CCL you have to keep it hidden. That's why it is called "Concealed Carry License" That doesn't give you the right of taking your gun out and start waving it in front of a crowd.

If you have CCL (in oregon), you are allowed to carry your gun openly, or concealed. The CCL allows you to carry concealed, it does not require you to carry concealed.
{In the same manner, a driver's license allows you to drive a car, it does not require you to drive a car.}

Also: There is a big difference between openly carrying (e.g. in holster, or a rifle on a sling), and "Waving it in front of a crowd".

If you have CCL (in oregon), you are allowed to carry your gun openly, or concealed. The CCL allows you to carry concealed, it does not require you to carry concealed.
{In the same manner, a driver's license allows you to drive a car, it does not require you to drive a car.}

Also: There is a big difference between openly carrying (e.g. in holster, or a rifle on a sling), and "Waving it in front of a crowd".

False cities can create ordinances banning this ex. Salem

READ THE LAWS OF THE STATE (and city) YOU ARE IN! Geez how hard is it, eg; in OREGON you can carry a handgun openly or concealed if you have a CHL. A city IN OREGON (Salem for example cause it was used in the previous post) can regulate the carry of a handgun UNLESS said person has a valid CHL which makes that person exempt from local laws. LOOK IT UP, READ THE LAWS! Oh yeah, Look at the 2nd post of this thread.

I have been pulled over a few times since getting my CHL. Each time I hand it over with my DL. Each time the officer has asked me if I have the CCW in the car. Each time he has thanked me for notifiying him. I'm always respectful, keep my hands on the wheel, etc. Not sure if it's coincidence, but each time I've received a warning (not a ticket).

You know what, I just don't get all you folks getting pulled over all the time! Are you all just driving stupid or what? I haven't been pulled over for a moving violation even one time since getting my CHL, and it's been so long ago that I did last get pulled over that I've forgotten what it was about!

You know what, I just don't get all you folks getting pulled over all the time! Are you all just driving stupid or what? I haven't been pulled over for a moving violation even one time since getting my CHL, and it's been so long ago that I did last get pulled over that I've forgotten what it was about!

Not all of us drive minivans or blend in with the rest of the crowd.

I have been pulled over twice since getting my CHL--once for expired tags and once for speeding. Both times I handed over my ODL, insurance and registration. I did not hand over my CHL or mention that I had one. Neither time did the cop ask me about it or even mention it and both times I was let off with a warning. YMMV

I haven't been pulled over in 35 years. Got pulled over for going 30 in a school zone 2 days after getting my license and must have looked so pitiful that I got a warning. That was September 1977. Haven't been pulled over since.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

READ THE LAWS OF THE STATE (and city) YOU ARE IN! Geez how hard is it, eg; in OREGON you can carry a handgun openly or concealed if you have a CHL. A city IN OREGON (Salem for example cause it was used in the previous post) can regulate the carry of a handgun UNLESS said person has a valid CHL which makes that person exempt from local laws. LOOK IT UP, READ THE LAWS! Oh yeah, Look at the 2nd post of this thread.

Still dont want to have to deal with the trouble you have to go through. Conceal carrying is a lot less hassle free. (Nice sitting the law, I talked to a Salem officer who said you couldnt but apparently you know the law better than him lol)

Still dont want to have to deal with the trouble you have to go through. Conceal carrying is a lot less hassle free. (Nice sitting the law, I talked to a Salem officer who said you couldnt but apparently you know the law better than him lol)

Apparently I do....City of Salem

95.095. Loaded Firearms.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition, while in a public place as defined in ORS 161.015.
(b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall apply to:
(1) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty. (2) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(3) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
(5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety hazard abatement to comply with Chapter 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 139.337 at McNary Field. (Ord No. 29-96; Ord No. 54-05)

Apparently I do....City of Salem

95.095. Loaded Firearms.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition, while in a public place as defined in ORS 161.015.
(b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall apply to:
(1) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty. (2) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(3) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
(5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety hazard abatement to comply with Chapter 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 139.337 at McNary Field. (Ord No. 29-96; Ord No. 54-05)

I meant citing* lol and does that apply to open carry as well? because it doesnt seem to specify

Like I said.....READ THE LAWS.....State, county and city.... If you have A CHL, you are exempt. Regardless of what the police "say" are the laws, IF YOU HAVE A CHL YOU ARE EXEMPT. The police might screw with you in Beaverton, Salem, Portland etc. but theres NOTHING they can do if you have the magical CHL. Just dont go waving your gun around like some kind of azsole and you shouldnt have any problems. Oh yeah, READ/KNOW THE LAWS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top