JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a group of Salem's finest in our Coffee Shop today, so posed the question about getting pulled over and what their thoughts were on having a valid license and a concealed weapon.

Some of the feedback I got;

1) Leave it where it is, don't move it, don't mess with it
2) They run your plates, so they probably already know you have a CCL
3) Present your CCL with your DL
4) One officer actually said that if someone like me was driving down the road and saw that he was losing to a bad guy, that he hoped we would stop and lend a hand (gun).
5) Don't be stupid. They said that although there is a lot of hoops to get the CCL, it only takes one letter from any officer to get it revoked.
6) They all agreed that they like the idea of citizens having a legal concealed carry (thought that was good).

Overall they were pretty supportive. They did mention one instance where a guy at one of our local watering holes pulled out is revolver and was showing it off saying "Look at my new sights!" Well, no one was impressed, and officers actually were called.

so, the takeaway I got, was "Don't be stupid" Be safe, and follow the rules. Oh, and concealed means CONCEALED. Salem does not allow OC.

rg

Thanks for the information, however, your last point doesn't seem valid. I'm not a lawyer, but this is straight from Oregon 166.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

"Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license." ~ from Opencarry.org

Those City's have passed bans against "Open Carry" Does not apply to concealed handguns with a valid license.

Last Edited:
Not sure what bpearsal is meaning there???

Did you catch any of their names?

Side note: Cops in the day time are more than likely guys who have been around a while. A new guy at night might have a different attitude when it comes to citizens carrying legally.

What do you mean Salem does not allow OC? As in you cant carry it concealed? Or you cant have it on you at all? And what law stops one from having OC?

Oregon Leg 166.173 gives the city the authority to regulate the possession of firearms in public places. However, this does not apply to you if you have a CCL.

Sorry, I was assuming that the guy at the local watering hole had a CCL prior to pulling his piece out and playing with it.

Why would a CHL be tied to a cars License plate? Anyone from a Wife/girlfriend/family friend/ employee to a licensed son or daughter could be driving the vehicle. As well as I as a CHL could be driving the wifes car or a company rig.

Seams like it could sure cause a lot of near misses.

Why would a CHL be tied to a cars License plate? Anyone from a Wife/girlfriend/family friend/ employee to a licensed son or daughter could be driving the vehicle. As well as I as a CHL could be driving the wifes car or a company rig.

I thought so too. But if they pull the registered owner, and then the DMV file, it will have a description and photo, and I am sure they could tell if it was me, or my wife driving. ;-)

But to your point, they actually really don't know who is driving the car, until they ask.

The CHL is tied to the person who has it. If that person is listed on the vehicles registration, the CHL will come up when an Officer runs that plate.

I thought so too. But if they pull the registered owner, and then the DMV file, it will have a description and photo, and I am sure they could tell if it was me, or my wife driving. ;-)

But to your point, they actually really know who is driving the car, until they ask.

So what happens when they run the plate is the registration pops up. Then you can highlight a name, say I see male driver with the approx birthday that makes sense, click on that name and it returns with a valid chl holder your driving status and a simple NCIC warrant check so therefore they do and dont know if you have a chl...but you can always just run the persons name and it will tell you if they have a valid chl as well

Thats if they are using the Radcom system in their cars and well pretty much everyone in Oregon does

State law allows municipalities and counties the ability to regulate LOADED open carry by non CHL holders. They can't ban it completely. Even if you don't have a CHL, open carry of an UNLoaded gun is not something they can ban.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

I do believe that only a deputy can revoke your carry license. A few years back a Beaverton Police Officer tried to flip me crap about open carrying. I was a mile away from Beaverton high school and he tried to tell me I was too close to a school. He also tried to intimidate and threaten me by saying "you know I can get your CHL revoked, right?". I spoke with Washington County and the lady at the CHL office said that only a deputy sheriff has that authority to revoke, not a city police officer and that Officer Carino did call the county to report me for open carrying. I was respectful, kept my hand away from the weapon and I was dressed in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals... I was carrying my 92F in a serpa level two.

Either way I agree that as long as you don't do something stupid, for the most part they will leave you alone. There are however a few bad apples with a badge that go on a power trip and wanna prove something, and they will try to intimidate and they always say that our citizens were concerned.... what about me? I'm a citizen, don't my rights count too?. It's always a good idea to take officer name(s) and if needed file a complaint. In my experience they will be very nice and do everything to avoid a complaint. I will also verbally inform that I am video and audio recording if I choose to video and audio record the contact, if the officer starts to act like a child. By law, they are public officials, we are in public, the situation involves me so I have every right to video and audio record. Now if something is going on with someone else, I am not gonna butt in and start recording things. The camera usually brings out the nice in officers and it's there to protect me and them.

I have been pulled over a few times since getting my CHL. Each time I hand it over with my DL. Each time the officer has asked me if I have the CCW in the car. Each time he has thanked me for notifiying him. I'm always respectful, keep my hands on the wheel, etc. Not sure if it's coincidence, but each time I've received a warning (not a ticket).

State law allows municipalities and counties the ability to regulate LOADED open carry by non CHL holders. They can't ban it completely. Even if you don't have a CHL, open carry of an UNLoaded gun is not something they can ban.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

The non CHL holders have had their rights all but regulated away here in Portland. Their 2nd Amendment rights has been infringed. It's not completely gone but close.

True, but just recently in Portland, there were a bunch of bearded men arrested on the Burnside Bridge for carrying an AR-15 while doing a photo shoot "Beards for Breasts". To my knowledge, it wasn't loaded, yet they were arrested for having the weapon, and a misdemeanor charge of public disturbance. Yes, you are allowed to open carry with or without a CCL, but be prepared for a possible misdemeanor charge in a city like Portland. Charges will undoubtedly get dropped, but you will have to deal with going to court and potential legal fees.

Just get a CHL then...if you dont qualify for one you probably shouldnt be carrying anyways

I do not want to ask for permission to do something that is my right.
I could get a CHL if I wanted to.
Yes it would be easier then to stand up for what you believe in. I have heard from many CHL holders that they agree they shouldn't have too, but they did it anyways.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top