JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check out the big banner ad above your post. Threat Dynamics is great scenario based simulation pistol training without the expense. This is not a replacement to actual firearms training, but IMO is a necessary addition as most of us can't afford to go run 30 different "shoot/no shoot" scenarios every weekend with real ammo. Check out Threat Dynamics, get a little simulation training done, then spend the real money and head to OFA. Also, it's just north of Hwy 26 on Cornelius Pass.

Clint Smith runs Thunder Ranch in SE Oregon and I believe he qualifies as a "big guy" in most training circles. It kind of depends on what you consider "local in the NW".
You can check them out at Untitled Document if you would consider traveling that far.

Edit note: not sure why the link says "untitled document" but it it seems to work.

Last Edited:
Clint Smith runs Thunder Ranch in SE Oregon and I believe he qualifies as a "big guy" in most training circles. It kind of depends on what you consider "local in the NW".
You can check them out at Untitled Document if you would consider traveling that far.

Edit note: not sure why the link says "untitled document" but it it seems to work.

That's what's set as the title of their home page.

When your training will mean your life and perhaps your family's, its just a no-brainer to get the best available.

T-Ranch is my recommendation. Although I have yet to attend Clint's facility, I have yet to hear a student of Thunder Ranch say anything bad about the instruction there.

I cannot say the same at all about Firearms Academy of Seattle (!) or Oregon Firearms Academy. I have personally had bad experiences with both as well.

When your training will mean your life and perhaps your family's, its just a no-brainer to get the best available.

T-Ranch is my recommendation. Although I have yet to attend Clint's facility, I have yet to hear a student of Thunder Ranch say anything bad about the instruction there.

I cannot say the same at all about Firearms Academy of Seattle (!) or Oregon Firearms Academy. I have personally had bad experiences with both as well.

Bad Experiences at both? Specifically what happened that was so bad?

-ZJ

Check out Oregon Firearms Academy! Great folks and great training!
James

I've met some of the OFA guys and they seem like total stand up folk who are very qualified to teach a comprehensive lesson on firearms. As for up north, where we are, heard many good first hand reports about the LMS guys. Insights in Bellevue has snatched up most of the training in the puget sound area. But it depends on what kind of rifle and pistol training you want. There's always NRA basic classes if you need a solid platform to start with. I recommend everyone take one of those. Remember gotta build the foundation before you build the house.

You may want to look into Liberty Training group in Salem.

Jason Duval spent a considerable amount of time training with the big guys for many years and knows his stuff.

Occasionally instructors will come to the NW and hold classes too.

IIRC, Paul Howe did a class in WA either this year, or late last year.

I just took a 2 day pistol class taught by <broken link removed> last weekend in Bend, OR.

Just gotta keep looking and jump when you get the chance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top