JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I for one think organizing is a great idea. How have the liberals handed us our asses over the last years? Community organization. Why is it that the nra has been able to do a lot to keep the second amendment (even though i don't always agree with them)? Its a large organization.

The fact is that as individuals, we are very limited in power, collectively our power grows. I am not up for a organization that sits around and fantasizes about a hostile takeover of the us. I think everyone should be trained to wield the weapons they own, and be ready to use them if the need ever arises. Also, if organizations like this became the norm, it could be huge politically.

You ARE the civilian militia of the United States. During WWII the military trained the civilian population how to shoot and gave the people who took the course a rifle and in some instances a handgun. It's called DCM, Director of Civilian Marksmanship. You could get a M1 Garand or a colt 1911 for real cheap. The military wanted the civilian population trained in case we were invaded on our own soil.

Okay, so lets say, theoretically, that this happens. How do you determine that everyone involved is above boards? Convicted felons must be weeded out, because no matter the amount of rehab, or debt paid to society, that would sink the ship. It would have the possibility of drawing the whole group down and getting a lot of folks in hot water. Second, Military service...I have run into MANY people who claim to have military backgrounds...No one really cares what they say they did in the service, you just have to make sure they were in the service and served with honor. You don't want people who have been discharged under anything other than honorable. I was in the service and I saw many guys go out on other than honorable or dishonorable, and these are not people you want to associate with, period. There is a reason they were discharged in that manner.

Now once all of that is done, you start setting up training seminars, but you have to stay focused on the goal at hand, organisation. Get together a few times, don't let anyone make themselves the leader. That individual will stand out naturally and eventually be selected. You don't want the guy who keeps hollering, "me, me, me!" Under no circumstance do you want to be identified as an extreme group, that brings unwanted attention.

Keep doing monthly events, stay vigilant, and you'll be okay.

Okay putting my ten foot pole away now.

OK...One more time.

Every one of you, between the ages of 17 and 45, and those of us who are retired military, ARE IN THE MILITIA. Yes, you is.

10 USC 311

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Big man talk big on internet ( typical), if you are a typical person who would be in this militia then you made my point. I can not trust you at this point pal, why would I join a group with other like you. You would be the weaselly guy hiding in the corner tossing rocks and stirring. I am surprised the moderators allow this kinda of discussion this is not gun talk this is wanna be soldiers the most dangerous kind.

I served and know people just like you and would not trust any group that starts off by name calling those that ask questions of it. Sounds like you would fit right in the Liberal groups who also attack anyone who questions them. :s0155::s0114:

There are many that attack when questioned. Some are even on this site. It's not a Liberal/Conservative thing, it's an ignorance/defensiveness thing. It does seem to be equally common on the left and right fringes of the bell curve on certain topics, but I think to be on the fringe - a person does not get there by using reason, only emotion. Question something that a person has only rooted in emotion, and you get a defensive response.

This ish is so entertaining.

This is why groups moved to online forums instead of meeting groups.

I love being a tough guy know it all couch quarterback.. Online of course.
I'm a dwarf.
But online i'm 10ft tall and bullet proof.

I don't know if I would personally meet up with people wanting to join a militia. We've all seen the stupid militia shows depicting the national gaurd rejects that are now mall cops and their stupidity.
I would rather stand with people trying to feed their kids and protect their family.
If a guy walks out of the woods by himself with a gun. He's probably getting smoked.

This ish is so entertaining.

We've all seen the stupid militia shows depicting the national gaurd rejects that are now mall cops and their stupidity.
I would rather stand with people trying to feed their kids and protect their family.
If a guy walks out of the woods by himself with a gun. He's probably getting smoked.

This is the reason I said what I did. It must have trust, and it must be safe. Vetting is the most important thing.

I've been looking into the "militia" for about six months, and found that there is lots of misinformation and even more myth.
Professor Edwin J. Vieira in Virginia wrote a number of articles about the Constitutional Militia about 7 years ago. Check him out: Edwin Vieira, Jr. -- Archive
From colonial times up through the Civil War, the Militia was built around individuals who joined independent companies (who elected their officers), and which could be called out at the pleasure of the state governor or the president. The Civil War and Spanish American War were fought largely by Militia - on both sides in the case of the North-South conflict.
The 1906 Dick Act reorganized the Constitutional Militia into the "Organized Militia" (National Guard and Naval Reserve) and the "Unorganized Militia" (basically everyone else, though they refer to able-bodied males between 17-45 - those subject to Selective Service). I can't speak to Oregon, as I haven't researched statute there, but Washington (and several other states) has an "anti-private-armies" statute which says that only "recognized" organizations are authorized, and these include the National Guard, State Guard, and the "Unorganized Militia" of 17-45 year old males. Some states also have "anti-militia-training" laws, but Washington isn't one.
So, how to get around this unconstitutional law? The Washington State Militia Network is just that - a network of individuals who come together to train and prepare - but have no designated chain of command. (This is their philosophy even though, on the website, the state is subdivided into battalion and company areas - and there are individuals who claim to be unit "commanders.")
I stay away from those.
I also see lots of rhetoric about "watering the tree of liberty," which makes the government nervous and more than willing to squash your little group like they did the Huttarees in Michigan.
I stay away from that, too.

To be successful, I think that We (as in "We the People) should recognize that the Militia is Us, then prepare for such emergencies or disasters as we can assist with.
What emergencies? This runs the gamut of everything from several guys in two pickup trucks who go up a country road in the dead of winter to check on elderly shut-ins (or rescue motorists), to accompanying sheriff's deputies on anti-looting patrols after some event like a major earthquake or windstorm, to searching for lost children or hikers, to guarding infrastructure (the bridges along the I5 corridor, for instance) during a heightened threat like after 9/11, to repelling foreign invasion alongside our active military brethern, to (finally) keeping the government in check.

Most of these missions involve working WITH the authorities, especially the local ones. They need to trust us, and then use us. Without us being "useful," we're just a bunch of yahoos running around the woods with guns, yelling "Hooah" and looking dangerous to the urban Elites.

(In the wake of the Newtown shootings, Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona has mobilized his "posse" to protect local schools - armed Militia.)

"Prepping" is a part of this too: The Militia must equip and sustain itself. The groups that I have seen and heard about never seem to get beyond the assault pack or three-day bug-out bag for logistics. No individual can realistically carry 5k-10k of ammo, nor can they carry a thirty-day supply of food. That's why real military organizations have logistics tails, and - other than contravening statutes - this is the Achilles' Heel of We the People as the Constitutional Militia. In olden times, the Colony (or the state) provided for their Militia in the field - but if you don't have State recognition, don't expect them to feed your group, or provide a supply of 5.56mm ammo!

And that brings me to standardization: Ideally, Militia members are equipped the same as Regular Soldiers (it even says so in the 1791 Militia Act). So, what kinds of firearms & other equipment should acquire for yourself in order to fully participate? Look to standard US military calibers of ammo, US military uniforms, etc. If you are carrying a civilian-version AK47, you will only get an ammo resupply from the Chinese or North Koreans (after they invade). Otherwise, almost everyone else uses 5.56mm NATO (except the Russians, who now use 5.45x39mm). The Geneva and Hague conventions require that combatants be marked by some insignia - an armband with "Militia" and your State Seal on it should work, or you could be more elaborate.

To sum up, there are things that we can do legally. This include acquiring skills such as first aid, land navigation, communications, and weapons proficiency and tactics. Look first to the skills which have wider application - including self-defense, and work to proficiency with those. Approach the authorities (especially local sheriffs) and make positive relationships with them - become useful. Work on legislators to remove legal hinderances so that we can prepare and perform our duties without looking over our shoulders.

And remember: Threatening rhetoric against the statist elites only provokes them into making more laws to stifle us with. Convince them, coopt them, or replace them. Replacing the government by force may become necessary, but it is the far extreme of Militia function and missions - and the least likely one that we will have to execute any time soon.

Trust: It only comes after having worked with someone for a long period of time, especially in shared hardship and danger.

We are beginning to put together our network here in Clark County, and will have a meet & greet at 1600 (4pm) Sunday, 13 January. Send an RSVP to mikesettles@hotmaildotcom, and I will send directions.

OK...One more time.
10 USC 311

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

I know when I thought about this neighborhood watch idea, it was along the lines of getting the unorganized militia (the neighbors) a little more organized, ready and prepared (rather than sitting on the couch and watching TV all the time). I would even prefer if the unorganized militia were trained through programs and personnel in the organized militia (perhaps like reserves?), the idea is to have the unorganized fraction just a little more organized and prepared, irrespective of whether they ever need this extra preparedness or not.

OK...One more time.
10 USC 311

I know when I thought about this neighborhood watch idea, it was along the lines of getting the unorganized militia (the neighbors) a little more organized, ready and prepared (rather than sitting on the couch and watching TV all the time). I would even prefer if the unorganized militia were trained through programs and personnel in the organized militia (perhaps like reserves?), the idea is to have the unorganized fraction just a little more organized and prepared, irrespective of whether they ever need this extra preparedness or not.

Most of these missions involve working WITH the authorities, especially the local ones. They need to trust us, and then use us. Without us being "useful," we're just a bunch of yahoos running around the woods with guns, yelling "Hooah" and looking dangerous to the urban Elites.

I think this is an absolute key point, I want to have the unorganized portion of the militia in a prepared/readiness mentality, that should anything serious happen, the authorities will just have to deal with the situation at hand with a prepared public, instead of (1) the situation at hand and (2) general public who are unprepared, coming from being on the couch in front of TV and suddenly into a serious situation and causing major public panic.

I've been looking into the "militia" for about six months, and found that there is lots of misinformation and even more myth.
Professor Edwin J. Vieira in Virginia wrote a number of articles about the Constitutional Militia about 7 years ago. Check him out: Edwin Vieira, Jr. -- Archive
From colonial times up through the Civil War, the Militia was built around individuals who joined independent companies (who elected their officers), and which could be called out at the pleasure of the state governor or the president. The Civil War and Spanish American War were fought largely by Militia - on both sides in the case of the North-South conflict.
The 1906 Dick Act reorganized the Constitutional Militia into the "Organized Militia" (National Guard and Naval Reserve) and the "Unorganized Militia" (basically everyone else, though they refer to able-bodied males between 17-45 - those subject to Selective Service). I can't speak to Oregon, as I haven't researched statute there, but Washington (and several other states) has an "anti-private-armies" statute which says that only "recognized" organizations are authorized, and these include the National Guard, State Guard, and the "Unorganized Militia" of 17-45 year old males. Some states also have "anti-militia-training" laws, but Washington isn't one.
So, how to get around this unconstitutional law? The Washington State Militia Network is just that - a network of individuals who come together to train and prepare - but have no designated chain of command. (This is their philosophy even though, on the website, the state is subdivided into battalion and company areas - and there are individuals who claim to be unit "commanders.")
I stay away from those.
I also see lots of rhetoric about "watering the tree of liberty," which makes the government nervous and more than willing to squash your little group like they did the Huttarees in Michigan.
I stay away from that, too.

To be successful, I think that We (as in "We the People) should recognize that the Militia is Us, then prepare for such emergencies or disasters as we can assist with.
What emergencies? This runs the gamut of everything from several guys in two pickup trucks who go up a country road in the dead of winter to check on elderly shut-ins (or rescue motorists), to accompanying sheriff's deputies on anti-looting patrols after some event like a major earthquake or windstorm, to searching for lost children or hikers, to guarding infrastructure (the bridges along the I5 corridor, for instance) during a heightened threat like after 9/11, to repelling foreign invasion alongside our active military brethern, to (finally) keeping the government in check.

(In the wake of the Newtown shootings, Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona has mobilized his "posse" to protect local schools - armed Militia.)

"Prepping" is a part of this too: The Militia must equip and sustain itself. The groups that I have seen and heard about never seem to get beyond the assault pack or three-day bug-out bag for logistics. No individual can realistically carry 5k-10k of ammo, nor can they carry a thirty-day supply of food. That's why real military organizations have logistics tails, and - other than contravening statutes - this is the Achilles' Heel of We the People as the Constitutional Militia. In olden times, the Colony (or the state) provided for their Militia in the field - but if you don't have State recognition, don't expect them to feed your group, or provide a supply of 5.56mm ammo!

And that brings me to standardization: Ideally, Militia members are equipped the same as Regular Soldiers (it even says so in the 1791 Militia Act). So, what kinds of firearms & other equipment should acquire for yourself in order to fully participate? Look to standard US military calibers of ammo, US military uniforms, etc. If you are carrying a civilian-version AK47, you will only get an ammo resupply from the Chinese or North Koreans (after they invade). Otherwise, almost everyone else uses 5.56mm NATO (except the Russians, who now use 5.45x39mm). The Geneva and Hague conventions require that combatants be marked by some insignia - an armband with "Militia" and your State Seal on it should work, or you could be more elaborate.

To sum up, there are things that we can do legally. This include acquiring skills such as first aid, land navigation, communications, and weapons proficiency and tactics. Look first to the skills which have wider application - including self-defense, and work to proficiency with those. Approach the authorities (especially local sheriffs) and make positive relationships with them - become useful. Work on legislators to remove legal hinderances so that we can prepare and perform our duties without looking over our shoulders.

And remember: Threatening rhetoric against the statist elites only provokes them into making more laws to stifle us with. Convince them, coopt them, or replace them. Replacing the government by force may become necessary, but it is the far extreme of Militia function and missions - and the least likely one that we will have to execute any time soon.

Trust: It only comes after having worked with someone for a long period of time, especially in shared hardship and danger.

We are beginning to put together our network here in Clark County, and will have a meet & greet at 1600 (4pm) Sunday, 13 January. Send an RSVP to mikesettles@hotmaildotcom, and I will send directions.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is what I'm getting at, or trying to. I once again will blame my loud children preventing me from elaboration.

Also, remember that in US v Miller (1939, 307 US 174) the Supreme Court said "And further, that ordinarily, when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." United States v. Miller

Now, in this regard, we SHOULD have an AR or other 5.56mm rifle for militia use.... Just saying..

My question, how much of those plans were egged on/encouraged by/started by the FBI/CIA plants within such organizations
Or simply started by loudmouth camp followers with nothing better to do with their time. While my experience with 'Militias' is not extensive I have interfaced with a few over the years and from what I see they start out with an attempt at some form of organization, then just a bunch of flag waving & bad press in the news and then turns out to be nothing more than a handful of guys who get together, hang out, drink beer and shoot on the desert. While there may be some groups that do have and maintain some sort of organizational base I have not seen it and if the recent TV show about Militia Groups is a representation of such then I don't have much hope for any group.

No i'm talking laws like ruby ridges white supremacist planning illegal actions against the government and sawing off a shotgun, or Waco child molester with full autos and explosives off the books.

A group of people that got together to shoot or train tactics and not talking about a revolution, for having, making, to talking about making anything illegal should be OK. Hell there are a million classes you can take to do that. I would plan and talk about everything under the assumption that a fed has infiltrated the group. It short make sure there is nothing to see here and keep everything on the up and up.

You must be personal friends with Lon Horiuchi.

Ruby Ridge was a complete disaster of a plan that the government muffed up more than a few times trying to execute.

Waco... If they were really there because they wanted to save the children, why did the Feds kill almost all of them?

You must be personal friends with Lon Horiuchi.

Ruby Ridge was a complete disaster of a plan that the government muffed up more than a few times trying to execute.

Waco... If they were really there because they wanted to save the children, why did the Feds kill almost all of them?

take off the blinders. I didn't say the fed was right. I think that many members of the fed should have been jailed or shot including Lon Horiuchi after that screw up. I'm just saying Weaver stood out because he lived in the sticks, went to white supremacist rallies, talked alot about blowing stuff up, and sawed off a shotgun to short, among other things that gave the fed what they needed to go in. Now when and how they went in is the cluster.

Koresh was a crazy cult sleeps with kids perv. BUT they wouldnt have went in if he didnt have 9 billion weapons including illeage weapons. Again not saying the fed was right on how they went in and yes even some of those feds should have done time.

In just saying done talk crazy, stockpile illeagle weapons, or be a waco and the fed will have much larger fish to go after. You start a group and talk about a revolution your going to get hit quick.

This concept of bringing people together is excellent. It must be done with care, as many of you have noted. Either way, this is powerful. For those who are beginning to plan the framework, my suggestion is that we have a reliable network structure. We need to map out who can take the lead in different counties and cities, and point people to their local group.

Please don't shy away from these concepts based on the few strange individuals who might show up. This is an opportunity to develop the kind of community we may one day rely on. Mentoring other men and being mentored is a huge benefit and something we all need.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top