JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am looking for a gunsmith in or near somewhat of Eugene Oregon. My project is a Remington 700 in 30-06 that I am re-barreling in 308. I already have the 700 action, I have a used PAC-NOR super match #7 straight taper with 1:10 twist rate that needs new threads in 308 cal, so I believe it would be cut to 22". I also have a H-S Precision stock. Other questions is is there any reason to stay with the original 30-06 cal instead. I like the large amounts of load data for the 308 to learn on. Question #2 is do I need to shim the mag for the 308? I know the Military uses the 308 cal on a Long Action before. This is my first custom build. I am on a budget. The barrel has 472 rounds through it.

You have acquired nice stuff to build your rifle.

The .308 win and 30:06 are both very good cartridges. 308 brass might be a bit easier to get. If you use military brass, you will have to remove the crimp in the primer pocket to reload and reduce your charge weight as the military cases have a thicker case head base area for use in full auto guns and a beefier extraction area for less chance of a failure. Both are same par as far as accuracy. Most likely you will not need to add a filler in the box, but most people do and then use the 308 cal short mag follower. Nylatron or a self lubricating polymer works nicely and does not rust and /or bind if fitted properly.

Sincerely, WVG

Good luck with your project,

Sincerely, WVG

Well I cant wait to get it back. Im like a kid waiting at the top of the stairs at Christmas. I will let you know the caliber soon. Its definatly been a pleasure working with you on this and getting good info from you. I hope I can bring more customers to you like yesterday. Let me know if you need anything from me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top