JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was told by a local gun shop that the headspace in my 6.5 grendel build was perfect. Went out shooting today and a case was a stuck in the chamber. I had to take the upper off the lower and pry the bcg from the barrel. When I inspected the case they it looked like this Black Hills Gold 6.5 grendel case. I was shooting black hills gold 123gr. If you noticed the bottom is blown out and there is part of the bullet in the case. The primer was also blown out. What should I do?

Did any rounds go off OK or is that the only round you shot?
It kinda looks like it fired slightly out of battery.

I'd get the headspace checked elsewhere before going back to the seller.

Did any rounds go off OK or is that the only round you shot?
It kinda looks like it fired slightly out of battery.

I'd get the headspace checked elsewhere before going back to the seller.

I agree with @Mygrainman .

Can you fully chamber a round? My first thought when looking at the pictures of your brass was that you don't actually have a 6.5 Grendel chambered barrel.

I'm thinking it's a type 1 type 2 mix up and this is the result. Seen this happen a couple times.
Seen shops assemble 6.5's and not realize there are type 1 amd type 2's. And this is the end result.

I agree with @Mygrainman .

Can you fully chamber a round? My first thought when looking at the pictures of your brass was that you don't actually have a 6.5 Grendel chambered barrel.

Yeah I can fully chamber a round. I bought the barrel from classicfirearms.com and it is advertised as a grendel type 2 barrel. My bcg is a toolcraft also advertised as type 2.

Those should work fine together. I've built similar setups. You never did say if you fired other rounds before the stuck case?

Yeah I fired some hornady black just fine. The first few rounds were a little tight but that fixed itself. When I shot the black hills I noticed more felt recoil and when picking up brass after I had the stuck case I saw some others had blown out in the bottom like the one in the picture and they had blown out primers. I'm gonna take it back in to get the headspace checked again and will be calling the places I bought the barrel and bcg.

I might be way off, but if you fired Hornady without a problem then you more than likely don't have a headspace issue. You answered your own question when you said that the Black hills seemed to have more felt recoil. Sounds like an ammo problem, not a rifle problem. Very strange though. Call black hills first. Maybe they had some bad ammo.

Black Hills doesn't even have 6.5 Grendel listed on their website which is kind of scary. I looked it up because I shoot a lot of 6.5 and have never seen it for sale.

This is the ammo in question. It looks like it's been sitting in the shop for a while. 15248497708781637578287259268785.jpg

I'm heading into the shop that checked my headspace the first time to have them look at it again. I also contacted the company I bought the barrel from and they said its covered under warranty. After I get home I will be getting in contact with the company that sold me the bcg to confirm they sent the right item.

I visited an LGS on time to get headspace checked on a build I was working on. It was towards closing time and the clerk was a little huffy towards me (not worth his time, that late in the day perhaps?) so he took my upper to the back, came back 5 minutes later, says "no good". I paid and left, went home, ordered a set of my own gages on Brownells. They arrived a week or so later, and I checked it myself. And guess what? It was a "GO"! Moral of the story is: if you can, do it yourself!

Update. Went to the shop that originally tested my headspace. They told me it looks like the ammo was loaded way too hot. They took a look at my bolt and it looks like the ammo caused my extractor to bend and my extractor spring to weaken. They also checked headspace again and said I'm just slightly out of spec now. I tried calling black hills, but they were closed when I called. I will try again Monday. I got in contact with the company that sold me the barrel and they are in the process of getting me a new one. I plan on going to a different shop next week to check if I actually need a new barrel. Here is the best I could do for pictures of the chamber. 20180427_201107.jpg
20180427_201040.jpg here is a better picture of the chamber after some light cleaning of it. 20180427_213747.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads