JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmm....not in the budget, you say? So, the family heirloom from grandad, the surprise gift from a loving wife, or guns you would like to pass on to your grandchildren you want to put into a wallboard lined safe? The wallboard turns to steam when exposed to heat...imagine a closed container filled with steam and the effect it may have...also, how would you feel if the 'bargain' safe you seek has been broken into, guns stolen, and someone is injured or killed as a result of staying within your 'price point'.

Its amazing the value of items put into a bargain safe. Take a deep breath, call Rogue Safe, tell Knute your requirements and go from there. I did, and don't consider the purchase extravagant. The safe itself is an heirloom, and will last a good long time.

unless you get into a real safe that is thief proof (jewelry stores/bank vaults), we are all talking about RSC's. (residential security containers) and none of them will survive a portable plasma torch...

that said most buyers are trying to protect against the routine smash and grab... if somebody knew what you have and were determined to break in and had all the time in the world, none of the safes we are talking about will keep your stuff safe...

I spend money on an alarm system with backup batteries, multiple sensors and GSM (cellular) monitoring... and live in an area where cops show up in 3 minutes tops (had false alarm and they were there before I could get home from the local store)... that is how you protect your valuables... and an insurance rider... my RSC safe just makes sure they have not broken in within 5 minutes... (and it is 10ga steel)

I appreciate folks chiming in about good quality RSC's and there is value in them, but don't start believing they are burglar proof..

the OP has a budget, it's his decision to stick to that...

I agree with PX4WA, even a Sturdy Safe with 3/16" body is nothing when up against a plasma torch. It would even yield to a grinder (but noisy!) I am looking for value in my budget range and American made. I will also augment protection by using the layering approach when it comes to security, alarm system, neighborhood watch, dog, keep safe hidden and no loose lips for instance.

I suppose I need to alter my plan and buy a larger American made safe and install it where I have room, in the garage. Recall my original desire was to put it in a space that is <20" wide. I am not able to find something of that size that is American made and in my budget. (Also, I think my budget is reasonable, as it is more than 20% value of the contents! I am just recognizing I have to spend more for USA vs cheaper Chinese) I just hesitate to put it in the garage due to humidity problems and the fact that a guy with a 4x4 could chain it up and yank it right out of the concrete even when bolted down. Concrete is not very strong when you punch a hole in it and put a wedge anchor down. Of course if a burglar did this, he would made a he$$ of a lot of noise!
Any thoughts on garage installation? I could build a cabinet or enclosure around it to make it look like a utility cabinet like the others in my garage. I just worry about temperature and moisture as cars go in and out of it all year round.

unless you get into a real safe that is thief proof (jewelry stores/bank vaults), we are all talking about RSC's. (residential security containers) and none of them will survive a portable plasma torch...

that said most buyers are trying to protect against the routine smash and grab... if somebody knew what you have and were determined to break in and had all the time in the world, none of the safes we are talking about will keep your stuff safe...

I spend money on an alarm system with backup batteries, multiple sensors and GSM (cellular) monitoring... and live in an area where cops show up in 3 minutes tops (had false alarm and they were there before I could get home from the local store)... that is how you protect your valuables... and an insurance rider... my RSC safe just makes sure they have not broken in within 5 minutes... (and it is 10ga steel)

I appreciate folks chiming in about good quality RSC's and there is value in them, but don't start believing they are burglar proof..

the OP has a budget, it's his decision to stick to that...

garage installs are the easiest to defeat... I would think twice about it...

if you must, I would consider putting it all the way to the back, sideways so it does not face the garage door and build or put a lot of stuff around it to conceal it from the street... if you could cement cinderblocks into place even better....

be careful bolting down to your concrete if you have prestressed concrete flooring...

I would rather have a safe in a living room than a garage... as you mentioned, a guy with a bobcat can go in, lift it and put it in his truck to open later...

or 4 guys can do the same...

the humidity thing can be solved with an electronic rod...

if you can fit one inside a spare closet, that would be best... may be worth giving up the hallway coat closet for this purpose...

if you go for a monitored alarm system, make sure to get the GSM/cellular link. that is more difficult to disable than cutting phone wires/powerlines

once you look at the 2000$ range, you are getting US made 10ga steel most of the time... or 7ga steel if you go with sturdysafes

one of my cheap chinese safes (costco) is inside a closet that i had to remove the frame to get in... all the videos showing them breaking into safes, requires leverage but with the safe inside the closet, there is none of that... but a sledge hammer and axe will eventually open it and so will a plasma torch...

lastly multiple small safes are better than one large safe... takes just as long to break into a small one as a large... and the more they have to break open, the longer it takes (I know doesn't apply to you yet)

Yes, I am trying to get it into a small closet, space it tight. I may have to settle for a chinese one, as most of them are small enough less than 20" wide. I may buy some 12ga steel and weld it to the top and exposed side to beef it up a little. Something like this: TF5517 Gun Safe by AMSEC from Maximum Security Safes - Maximum Security Safe Corporation

garage installs are the easiest to defeat... I would think twice about it...

if you must, I would consider putting it all the way to the back, sideways so it does not face the garage door and build or put a lot of stuff around it to conceal it from the street... if you could cement cinderblocks into place even better....

be careful bolting down to your concrete if you have prestressed concrete flooring...

I would rather have a safe in a living room than a garage... as you mentioned, a guy with a bobcat can go in, lift it and put it in his truck to open later...

or 4 guys can do the same...

the humidity thing can be solved with an electronic rod...

if you can fit one inside a spare closet, that would be best... may be worth giving up the hallway coat closet for this purpose...

if you go for a monitored alarm system, make sure to get the GSM/cellular link. that is more difficult to disable than cutting phone wires/powerlines

once you look at the 2000$ range, you are getting US made 10ga steel most of the time... or 7ga steel if you go with sturdysafes

one of my cheap chinese safes (costco) is inside a closet that i had to remove the frame to get in... all the videos showing them breaking into safes, requires leverage but with the safe inside the closet, there is none of that... but a sledge hammer and axe will eventually open it and so will a plasma torch...

lastly multiple small safes are better than one large safe... takes just as long to break into a small one as a large... and the more they have to break open, the longer it takes (I know doesn't apply to you yet)

I believe that's the same model Sportco in fife has on display. it looks decent...

considering it will be hard to find once hidden inside a closet, it's probably adequate... but it is fairly small and I doubt will hold 10 long guns.

if you can make it so that it can't be pulled through the door once bolted down will make it harder to pry open...

Just called a place in Idaho, he is going to build a custom version 60HX20DX18H all out of 3/16" steel right a my price point shipped. (I will have to take the trailer up to the terminal though) They are called Ironman Safes. They use two 5/8" sheets of drywall for fire resistance and use S&G combo lock. Here is one of their commercial standard ones: Ironman Safe Co. - Ironman 3000 12 Gun 5.4 cu. ft. Gun Safe #GS3000

I hope to get 8-10 rifles in there. Three of them have scopes, two shotties and leverguns. Inside dimensions will be about 57HX17WX11D which is about the capacity of the lower end Chinese Amsec TF5517 Gun Safe by AMSEC from Maximum Security Safes - Maximum Security Safe Corporation

Will let you know how it all goes!

Jeremy is the guy. Glad to support local USA made stuff and not China...yes I am paying 2X much, but am very happy to do so for something that my kids will end up with. (Nothing against China, I have a lot of other Chinese stuff and it is good value, just have a hard time putting American steel and wood into a Chinese box, like my 1956 M1 Garand) The size is just right for what I need and even gives some room for a teeny bit of expansion. However, I am planning not to allow the gun collection to out grow it, sort of a control. (Sell one before you buy one, otherwise it all gets way out of control. I don't even shoot the ones I have much!).

I believe that's the same model Sportco in fife has on display. it looks decent...

considering it will be hard to find once hidden inside a closet, it's probably adequate... but it is fairly small and I doubt will hold 10 long guns.

if you can make it so that it can't be pulled through the door once bolted down will make it harder to pry open...

Hmmm so interesting thread since Im also in the preplanning stage for getting a gun safe. Kids in the house i just want them totally out of sight (vs them just having cable locks even though all ammo is always locked up).

The problem i would have is my house sits on top of a crawl space all over. So im not sure if a big 700-1000 pound safe could even be able to go inside. Any thoughts tips on that? I currently just have a small winchester safe from costco (like 300 bucks) and im running our of room in that haha. But it is inside but its 225 pounds ish.

Glad it worked out for you... Good find on that local maker

Velilen:

As long as you can get it to span 2 joists you should be ok... But best to consult a pro as it also depends on how your house was built. Newer homes were built to a higher dead load and 1000lbs is nothing if spread over several joists...

And keep it close to an exterior wall or load bearing wall...

hmm interesting. The closet i use right now in the master bedroom is pretty much directly in the middle of the house. I know the floor joists are ~18 inches apart. I have to measure to double check for sure.

Definitely gives me hope though! just have to make sure it would fit through the door frame haha.

Anyways thanks for all the info and links to different manufactures here. Great place to start my research

Ill have to go look when i get back. Reinforcing is a definite possibility. I have a good 4-5ft crawl space so plenty of room to run a sonotube with concrete and run a 4x4 to the floor joists under the safe

Ill have to go look when i get back. Reinforcing is a definite possibility. I have a good 4-5ft crawl space so plenty of room to run a sonotube with concrete and run a 4x4 to the floor joists under the safe

Unless you have soft or moist ground in your crawlspace, a cement footer that is used for free floating decks may be good enough, add 4x4 and some post straps to keep it aligned with the joist. Thats what my cousin did when he put an aquarium in his living room

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top