JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've recently moved to Salem from the SF Bay area. California is a "may issue" state for concealed carry permits and there are major local differences. In some counties permits are a simple matter, in others like Contra Costa where I lived there is no chance of obtaining a permit without major connections.

Any comments on sentiment towards firearm ownership on the part of the general public and Sheriffs' attitudes on ownership and concealed carry? I assume the liberal areas like Portland would be different than, say, Grant's Pass?

Oregon is a shall-issue state for residents. If you are not disqualified from ownership, and have not had a criminal offense in the last 4 years, you are good to go. Sheriff has no leeway. For out of state residents, it is may issue.

In Marion County, attitudes are pretty lax, but for a big city, even Portland beats California hands-down. I am a WA resident and have a CPL issued from Washingotn County, and numerous friends have theirs from Multnomah.

ORS 166 has the relevant statutes and you can look it all up online.

What is the attitude of those who don't own firearms about ownership? I preferred to keep a low profile when socializing in the SF area due to the "liberal" attitude.

I did get a couple of surprises, though, and in one case someone I assumed would be uncomfortable turned out to be aggressively interested in learning to shoot.

What is the attitude of those who don't own firearms about ownership? I preferred to keep a low profile when socializing in the SF area due to the "liberal" attitude.

I did get a couple of surprises, though, and in one case someone I assumed would be uncomfortable turned out to be aggressively interested in learning to shoot.

I think your last statement is a prime example of "Don't judge a book by it's cover."! ;)

Well its probably a good idea to keep a low profile anywhere you carry, not just liberal locales. Although we not-so-affectionalely refer to Portland as Moscow-on-the-Willamette, in general the militant anti-gun crowd is fairly small amongst the residents and leadership. I'd wager that Salem is even less so. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Keith

I would expect the same thing here and do the same thing here. Don't forget that we have tons of people that have moved in from other states like CA.

I think your last statement is a prime example of "Don't judge a book by it's cover."! ;)

And then there's Oregon's anti-gun Senator Floyd Prozanski , a "liberal" that just gutted pro-gun bill HB 2797, how do we judge him and the libs that put him office ? I'd wager some of those good voters even post on this board.......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top